HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Morrowind Rebirth mod has reached version 3.8:

[...]

Morrowind Rebirth Changes

• You can now get a full set of Morag Tong armor by visiting Morag Tong Guild Halls. These pieces are not given for free until you've reached the rank "Brother", unless you find a set somewhere in the gameworld that is...
  • Travel costs for using boats/silt strider/mages guild travel-services have been raised somewhat.
  • Fatigue returned per second while walking changed from 0.0200 to 0.0300.
  • Minimal runspeed from 115 to 120 (initial starting speed).
  • Low level Dark Brotherhood assassins are now somewhat stronger.
  • Regular rats are no longer hostile.
Morrowind Rebirth Additions

• Bernadette's Import, Vivec Entrance, has recived a shipment of rare goods. Be sure to check it out.
  • Overhauled Seyda Neen somewhat to make it feel less cramped (more fps as a bonus!).
  • Molag Amur overhaul [ALPHA] with new content featuring:
    • Improved landscape with less floating objects, texture seams, bleeding meshes etc.
    • A new fort, Fort Ashmoth, haunted by the undead [ALPHA - no interior atm].
  • Added a connecting road to Vivec's east entrance.
  • Added more clutter in Ald Velothi.
  • Misc additions here and there.
  • New unique items:
    • Ring of Blind Faith
    • Nightbane [Sword]
  • New creature:
    • Earth Atronach
[...]
More information.

This sounds so good, that everytime I read about the project I want to jump right in... Then I remember the combat system.

Before that isn't changed, I don't think I can go back. Sadly, I guess they cannot do anything about it. There is also no mod on Nexus that touches combat (last time I looked).

What is bad about combat that was done better in later Elder Scrolls games?

I don't usually care much about combat if it is at least average. Morrowind and Arcanum have two of the worst combat systems I have played. Both are great games other then that.

I replayed Morrowind a few years ago with a bunch of fancy mods. Had fun at first but the combat system ruined it after 30 hours or so.

Ok, but still can anyone explain what was so bad compared to Oblivion or Skyrim?

Cliffracers every 5 feet.

Combat isn't too bad once you're around 75% or more trained with your weapon of choice, but the early parts of the game are incredibly annoying when you're missing your target 90% of the time.

I found the combat in Morrowind great, but a lot of it was because the numbers and dice rolls running behind the scenes. Also, you can build a starting character that doesn't miss too much, whether it's magic or melee, by creating a certain type of character and choosing the right skills.

I found the combat in Morrowind great, but a lot of it was because the numbers and dice rolls running behind the scenes. Also, you can build a starting character that doesn't miss too much, whether it's magic or melee, by creating a certain type of character and choosing the right skills.
This is true. A starting Breton Mage hardly ever fails but neither does a Redguard with a long blade, or a Nord with an axe.

This is true. A starting Breton Mage hardly ever fails but neither does a Redguard with a long blade, or a Nord with an axe.

Right. It also depends on the class you choose as well.

The behind-the-scenes-dice-rolls system is my favorite style of combat in the Elder Scrolls games. In Morrowind's system there are many advanced calculations being made instantly when you attack someone/something or are attacked yourself.

The reason the combat in Morrowind gets looked back upon and called "poor" by some is because they seem to subconsciously believe or think that "first person view = real-time action combat". The combat in Morrowind was an abstraction just like the combat in Baldur's Gate. I.e. it involved dice-rolls like a pen-and-paper game and was based on a complex rules/stat system that combined stat-based mechanics with the look and feel of a real-time system.

Morrowind also had a level of player/control skill as well. Pressing the right combination to either Chop, Thrust or Slash your weapon was important (and each weapon had varying damage based on which attack you used). Physical movement could also be used to an extent (and this is where a lot of the focus went in the future games in the series. Both Skyrim and Oblivion feature more hectic, movement based combat.)

The basic premise of Morrowind was that the character build was way more important than the player controlling the character. Now with the prevalence of level-scaling, the removal of many of the advanced calculation possibilities (or at least a redistribution from stats/attributes/ruleset to Perks), along with the heavier focus on player/control skills, Morrowind now seems like an ancient relic of a time when the focus even of an "action RPG" was still heavily based on pen-and-paper rules.

Back
Top Bottom