Skyrim - Skyblivion Teaser Trailer

I really enjoyed Oblivion modded up. I thought it was a fantastic open world game. I played many hours. The Knights of the Nine armor and weapons were pretty powerful though.

Oblivion + FCOM = best TES (mechanic-wise)

I wish these folks would combine resources with the Morrowind folks and finish that instead.

The funny thing is they're all part of the TES Renewal Project, too, so you'd think that would be the sane thing to do. I wonder, though, if there might be method in the madness. I could imagine a situation where they have plenty of contributors who can do modeling, landscaping, etc. Once that phase is done, those skills might not be transferable to the rest of the tasks for that project, so perhaps it makes sense for those modders to move onto the next project at that stage.

Ill be holding out for skyrim to be ported to the next engine which will be a slightly upgraded skyrim engine.:biggrin:

Honestly with every new elder scrolls release we get these ports. Have any of them ever been finished?

Nope.

My hope is that they aren't aiming to replicate Oblivion's flaws as well. The notorious level scaling system was real fun and immersion killer. And i wouldn't say no if they actually managed to make the oblivion crisis seem more urgent than it was in Oblivion.

Remember? An oblivion gate opens next to town and all kinds of hellish creatures go wild. What do the npcs do? Do they organize town militia to defend the town? Will they send emissaries to other towns asking help? Do they begin fortifying town?

Nope, they just keep living their ordinary lives like nothing had happened.

Oblivion + FCOM = best TES (mechanic-wise)

FCOM? I tried OOO and it was pretty good. And of course Nehrim, which is one of the best RPGs ever despite being "just" a total overhaul for Oblivion. Not familiar with FCOM, though.

FCOM is a big mod compilation with OOO, Marts monster mod, and two or three other other big ones, I can't remember. It had a real song and dance to get it all installed properly.

Being a mod junkie I added it straight away when I eventually tried OB… And tbh it made the game super frustrating to play. I stuck with it for a while but really hated it. After ignoring OB for years I trashed that install and redid my setup adding much less of the grand overhaul stuff sticking with a few tweaks, quests, looks and gear. Then I was finally able to really enjoy Oblivion finishing it and SI for the first time only a couple of years ago.

Btw - for those commenting, Morroblivion is the only port to another TES engine that's been completed. It however wasn't built from scratch, it stated with a utility you could run that literally converted the MW assets to OB ones. Bethesda put out a cease and desist tho so it had to be completed by hand. Still, most of the heavy lifting with building all the areas had been done by tje converter and David Brasher I think it was stepped up and got a lot of the quests sorted out. A bunch of other people helped and eventually it was completed. I have it installed and it works very well. TBH, and it's a bit blasphemous saying this (or maybe I'm just lazy :D), over the last few years when I've felt like playing MW I've fired up Morroblivion instead.

FCOM? I tried OOO and it was pretty good. And of course Nehrim, which is one of the best RPGs ever despite being "just" a total overhaul for Oblivion. Not familiar with FCOM, though.

Hmm… the official site seems to have vanished. Here is a vid to give you an idea of FCOM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6G9zK4D5A

Ah, good times!

Edit: Actually the trailer just shows off creatures mainly. What FCOM also did, was to gear the game towards risk vs reward. No level scaling at all and brutal combat. Traps were your friends, if you could lure enemies into them. There were also huge new quest chains to figure out.
Some of the weapons were a bit too fantasy, but most of the mod(s) was close to lore.
Still I recommend to add some more mods. Essential for me was a slower levelling mod, a good sneak mod and, of course, Deadly Reflexes.

Last edited:
My first attempt to Oblivion wasn't trying the vanilla one. Instead, I installed QTP, OOO, Darnified UI and other mods and I was really liking the game. I played it until I found out some part of scenery was missing, mostly grounds. I was way up ahead into the game and I never returned to it. The missing textures (or artifacting, IDK) together with a new PC parts to be installed back at that time made me to stray from the game. :(

Hmm… the official site seems to have vanished. Here is a vid to give you an idea of FCOM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6G9zK4D5A

Ah, good times!

Edit: Actually the trailer just shows off creatures mainly. What FCOM also did, was to gear the game towards risk vs reward. No level scaling at all and brutal combat. Traps were your friends, if you could lure enemies into them. There were also huge new quest chains to figure out.
Some of the weapons were a bit too fantasy, but most of the mod(s) was close to lore.
Still I recommend to add some more mods. Essential for me was a slower levelling mod, a good sneak mod and, of course, Deadly Reflexes.

Thanks. My last playthrough had 4K textures/graphics enhancements, OOO, Better Cities and a bunch of other stuff, although I didn't get super far into it. I liked what I saw of OOO, though, especially the idea that dungeons and areas got harder the farther away from the road you went, and loot was handplaced everywhere, etc.. The difficulty and design philosophy of that mod is right up my alley.

Still would highly, highly recommend Nehrim for anyone who hasn't played it. While a bit rough around some of the edges it actually stands as one of the best RPGs in the past 10 years for me, easy. Especially in that sort of action-RPG genre. Great stuff.

Thanks. My last playthrough had 4K textures/graphics enhancements, OOO, Better Cities and a bunch of other stuff, although I didn't get super far into it. I liked what I saw of OOO, though, especially the idea that dungeons and areas got harder the farther away from the road you went, and loot was handplaced everywhere, etc.. The difficulty and design philosophy of that mod is right up my alley.

FCOM basically is a version of OOO which Dev Akm took over from Oscuro iirc. Francesco's, WarCry and MMM mostly added weapons, armor and creatures into levelled lists (meaning not levelled towards the player char, but where they would appear).
It's not that easy to install (needs a merged patch from Wrye Bash), but not super hard either. Most rewarding experience I had with any TES so far (even though, the vanilla game might be the most flawed).

Back
Top Bottom