Chaos Reborn - Review @ One Guy's Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
One Guy's Reviews checked out Chaos Reborn:

Chaos Reborn: One Guy's Review

Chaos reborn is a complex and interesting game that utilizes a number of different gameplay mechanics while blending genres. It combines elements of a card game, strategic board game, and tactical war game, and then infuses it with a high fantasy theme. This isn't entirely a new concept, but the execution and style are what help this game stand out in the crowd.

The tactical battles are the heart of Chaos Reborn. You and your opponent each take on the role of a wizard, are dealt a hand of cards which serve as your spells, and try to outmaneuver, summon, and ultimately destroy you opponent through utilizing these spells. The common tactical considerations, such as height advantage, range, and resistances are in play, however Chaos Reborn adds in several others elements.

[…]

In the end, Chaos Reborn is a fresh and enjoyable strategy game with interesting mechanics. It falls somewhere in between the realm of competitive card game and tactical board game. It forgoes some of the elements those genres employ; the collectible nature of the former, and the strategic reliability of the latter. In doing so, the game occupies a unique genre as a true "wizard simulator". Knowing this, Chaos Reborn wisely plays to its strengths, embracing the summoning and dispelling aspect. Chaos Reborn might find a strong competitive scene, but it may also be victimized by its own innovation in this regard. The complexity of the mechanics may deter more casual strategy gamers, while the random chance may frustrate highly competitive players. There is a solid game here though. It may take time to fully develop, but Chaos Reborn is a game I commend for its willingness to try something new, and offers a new experience all gamers should try.
More information.

Should have had a fun single-player story campaign from the beginning, but Julian & Team were probably exhausted to start building that. They prolly wanted first to see how sales go for the game in this preliminary version.

Does this mean it still doesn't have a single player story campaign of decent quality ?
It has that realms thing (look @ youtube), which I never really played, rather criticized. But it was a kickstarter decision. To me its just lose stories which link SP board game match events. It's some kind of RPG, but of course by far not as complex as we know.

At the core the game simply is a top down board game and in a way not Ontopic for this board, I wish they would have developed the MP part more (proper lobby and chat, not as clunky tournament creation etc.). Game is currently suffering from a super small MP scene. If they wanted it bigger, they probably needed a different marketing and more things going on…

Back
Top Bottom