Gog connect

GOG vs DRM is not a new thing, but getting a DRMfree backup on GOG although we bought those on Steam or elsewhere then registered on Steam - kill me if I ever expected such move.

Although currently it's just 20 titles...
Respect.

That is an awesome move. No more buying games double on both platforms…

Hail GOG. :worship:

There's one thing nagging me about this... To do it, GOG is using the Steam API system. Thing is, there's no GOG API system so there's no way Steam can make a similar deal. That doesn't seem very fair to me.

There's one thing nagging me about this… To do it, GOG is using the Steam API system. Thing is, there's no GOG API system so there's no way Steam can make a similar deal. That doesn't seem very fair to me.

I doubt Valve is interested in rewarding players for buying games on a different platform.

They might be. When you play on Steam, your friends can see you playing it and that makes them more likely to buy.

They might be. When you play on Steam, your friends can see you playing it and that makes them more likely to buy.
Steam always had the strategy to capture players by having all their game library on Steam, it makes their client and and then shop as the main front end of those players.

Not sure they are still in it, they could consider they have already won and have build a dynamic that will naturally make them the single game client of all players, sooner or later.

I doubt the Gog gift is firstly from Gog, the gift is probably more coming from dev of those games who gave up get anything from selling their games on Gog, and try grab some fame or at least help Gog for some reason. Nobody in the market is happy with what Steam is achieving but many indie developers and most PC players.

Nobody in the market is happy with what Steam is achieving but many indie developers and most PC players.

Why so unhappy about steam?

I got 7 games connected. Main advantage I guess was I got the FTL Advanced edition for free I think (assuming I ever play it again). I prefer not to have my profile public so connected and disconnected.

Anyway are they compensating the developers/publishers when they do this? I assume not but then why would any publisher agree to it? The only thing I can thing of is that it could be used indirectly to pad number of purchases/installs to try to entice new users. Further from GOG's perspective it is strange since my incentives for dual connected games would be to buy it on steam rather than gog so I get it in both platforms.

I just read "Grog Connect" ... Reminds me of Monkey Island 1 ... ;)

Anyway are they compensating the developers/publishers when they do this? I assume not but then why would any publisher agree to it?

The whole thing is courtesy of the participating publishers and developers, not Steam/Valve or GOG/CDP (well, since The Witcher is part of the deal I guess that makes CDP a participating party but you know what I mean ;) ).

Here, straight from the GOG Connect page

The eligible games are limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers, so stay tuned for more games to come.

Back
Top Bottom