Antharion: Impressions thread

Well, I ostensibly finished up Antharion last night. Whilst the level of challenge started to disappear by party level 19- 20, I still got 38 hours total out of this humble little game and found the early-mid section quite enjoyable to play.

Forgottenlor is quite right in pointing out that the ending is haphazardly put together. Choices are almost forced upon the player whilst certain expected options are simply not available (keeping the Staff of Ascension for oneself for instance) meanwhile others aren't as satisfying as they should be.

A couple of other mechanics I observed didn't appear to be fully functioning: The spell "Spell Shield" for instance didn't appear to work to any great degree, as I'd be constantly hit by spells when I had it on. Confusion was a difficult spell to avoid when cast upon the player to the extent that I'd often just wait it out.

I'll certainly be curious to see whether what improvements Orphic will make in the future patches. To improve the game, I think more unique scripted and dialogued encounters would have been useful, especially in dungeon exploration, to break up monotony and create more atmosphere. Eschalon and Avernum do this well; including descriptive text. I also like the possibility of allowing NPCs to join or making it possible to have less party members to give variance to the four character experience. This would also enable players to pick and mix based upon the existing skill set of their party.

As Sanglon pointed out, Antharion has a good game-play flow and is perhaps slightly more welcoming to newer players than Eschalon (which often has a grinding element) or to a lesser extent the Avernums are; as the combat is easy to learn and quite "pacy" for a turn-based system.

In conclusion, I'm happy to have picked it up, as it was a fun little adventure and fills the void until Avadon III nicely.

Pros:
Party based, turn based combat, ability to create your own party.
Interesting skill system (somewhat reminiscent of Eschalon in part)
Exploration is vital and rewarding (lovely big world to explore)
Fun alchemy system
Non-level scaled encounters
Spirited soundtrack with a host of different influences (Morrowind being a key one)
The sound fx! (I might be unique in enjoying this a little too much!)

Cons:
Some mechanics are iffy in their functionality
Too much familiarity in combat patterns; many fights playing the same.
Dungeons are fairly one-dimensional
Lack of significant interaction with NPCs
Ending breaks down/doesn't conclude well.

Final Party:
All level 21 in-game time (76 in game days)
Ruffy (Human Fighter) (Two handed/Barter/Defense)
Cass (Felmur Ranger) (Archery/Lock-picking)
Mithrilana (Necrophil White Wizard) (Persuasion/White Magic)
Vigamortis (Elven Black Wizard) (Alchemy/Black Magic/Lore)

Last edited:
Thank you for your impressions, Pessimeister!

Thread necro! :)

I'm still very early in the game and quite enjoying it so far. One thing I'm struggling with though is accuracy in combat. Thing is, I shouldn't be struggling so much with the percentages it's showing me.

My main melee guy is showing a 77% hit chance with his two-handed sword, yet he's somehow missing more than 50% of the time. My mage shows a 75% chance on his offensive spells, but it seems more like a 50% success rate.

Does anyone know if there's more to getting a successful strike\cast than just that number, or am I just having really bad luck so far?

Thread necro! :)

I'm still very early in the game and quite enjoying it so far. One thing I'm struggling with though is accuracy in combat. Thing is, I shouldn't be struggling so much with the percentages it's showing me.

My main melee guy is showing a 77% hit chance with his two-handed sword, yet he's somehow missing more than 50% of the time. My mage shows a 75% chance on his offensive spells, but it seems more like a 50% success rate.

Does anyone know if there's more to getting a successful strike\cast than just that number, or am I just having really bad luck so far?
I don't have this game, but are you sure it's not bias confirmation? Sit and write down every attack with the % and the result, when you have done it say, 100 times do the math.

Well, perhaps the enemies have hidden defense attributes? It's been too long since I played, but I don't remember whether this might be the case. So if you have a 50% chance but they have a 20% defense shield/skin/evade etc, then you only hit 30% of the time.

I pumped up his two-handed stat and his Dex, and he's hitting a lot more often now. Spells still seem to fail more than they should though.

This game is surprisingly addictive. I just pulled an all-nighter, and it's been a long time since I've done that. :)

I dabbled in this game maybe eighteen months ago, then quickly backed out when more updates came sailing in. I never did get back to it, so thanks for the reminder and it is now on the list to revisit!

I enjoyed it and backed it on kickstarter. I need to replay it now that it has been patched up. Anyone remember at first your characters were going to have real big heads? They changed that pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom