2 hour gameplay video of Dragon's Dogma

D

Deleted User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YimwPf0Fr3A

Give your thoughts on the game in this thread.

My thoughts:

This game looks amazing! It's an open-world, party based, sword-and-sorcery action RPG. There's lots of customization, quests, things to do and mythical beasts to slay. You control one character in a party of 4 that you can build yourself. It's definitely a day one purchase for me. Comes out May 22. Haven't seen much info on this site about it so I thought I would share. What do you guys think?

That might be the most Western style jRPG I've seen so far. I doubt we'll see a PC port though, and even if we did, I wouldn't have high expectations considering it's a Capcom title.

I'll check it out if they release a demo on PSN.

That does look pretty cool! Will definitely look into it and try a demo on PSN if available.

The demo should definitely be available, no set date when though. But it's coming. The release date is May 22 so a demo will release sometime between now and then. I'll probably start a demo impressions thread when it is released.

Also, for those who play the demo, you'll be able to import your character from the demo into the real game. So that's a pretty cool feature I think.

Here's a short 2 minute trailer that shows off some of the dungeon elements in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuHd6S2okEA

Why is this PC game only coming out for consoles? What's Capcoms problem?

Why is this PC game only coming out for consoles? What's Capcoms problem?

I've read somewhere that they still might release it for the PC if it sells well enough on the consoles. Not sure if that is official or not, I guess time will tell...

Not to turn this into a PC vs. console thread; but why not pick up a used console on the cheap, just to play console games? There's a handful of good RPGs for the consoles that would be worth picking up a console to play them on. You can probably get an Xbox 360 off Ebay for $150, maybe even less. Just a suggestion...

I didn't notice it wasn't for pc. I guess it's a no go for me then.

I've read somewhere that they still might release it for the PC if it sells well enough on the consoles. Not sure if that is official or not, I guess time will tell…

Not to turn this into a PC vs. console thread; but why not pick up a used console on the cheap, just to play console games? There's a handful of good RPGs for the consoles that would be worth picking up a console to play them on. You can probably get an Xbox 360 off Ebay for $150, maybe even less. Just a suggestion…

Because I don't throw money away on garbage.

Also, I'd like to know what magical handful of good RPG's you're talking about. Note: Dark Souls is coming to PC this summer, I'd pretty much guarantee it.

Very interesting 10 minute preview from OXM. Lots of good gameplay bits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCiV4LOYk4

Ok, I gotta admit (a bit too actiony combat aside) what they are doing in terms of difficulty, no fast traveling, companions, time management and night gameplay is extremely interesting. Not to mention the freedom of movement and vertical exploration.

When favorite developers (Like PB) are streamlining and watering down their games trying to appeal to broader audiences it makes me both sad and jealous to see these elements added to the console (and JRPG for gods sake) games I derided so often in the past… :-/

This is the first console RPG that actually draws my interest for those reasons and although when all is said and done not exactly my kind of RPG (otoh don't know much about it beyond this video). I would actually gladly check it out if it was available on the PC.

If nothing else it could make a very interesting fighting game (with a throwback feel to some of the fantasy fighting games I played in arcades when I was a kid like Golden Axe etc ;) )

Ok, I gotta admit what they are doing in terms of difficulty, no fast traveling, companions, time management and night gameplay is extremely interesting. Not to mention the freedom of movement and vertical exploration.

I hope I am completely pulling this out of my ass and imagining things, but I seem to recall watching a preview video a while ago where the person playing stated that companions do not level up, thus it is basically impossible to keep the same companions with you for very long. If this is true, that would be a huge minus for what otherwise looks like a pretty cool game from what has been shown. Has anyone else heard this, or am I mistaken? I can't even fathom why this seemed like a good idea if true. While not a deal-breaker, it would be pretty annoying and is counter-intuitive for developing that sense of attachment and immersion that comes from traveling with a companion.

Aside from that, I agree that it does look pretty interesting - and surprisingly, it appears to be (mostly) grounded for a JRPG - it seems that Demon's/Dark Souls may have influenced the Japanese developers a bit and hopefully started a trend in art design and atmosphere (i.e., making it less cartoony, less pre-teen-ish, and avoiding being outright weird in all the worst ways possible). Alas, it's a Japanese game, which means the chances of a PC version are just about non-existent. If it lives up to the promising things I've seen in previews, I might just give in and pick it up for the trusty ol' dust collector - er, console.

I hope I am completely pulling this out of my ass and imagining things, but I seem to recall watching a preview video a while ago where the person playing stated that companions do not level up, thus it is basically impossible to keep the same companions with you for very long. If this is true, that would be a huge minus for what otherwise looks like a pretty cool game from what has been shown. Has anyone else heard this, or am I mistaken? I can't even fathom why this seemed like a good idea if true. While not a deal-breaker, it would be pretty annoying and is counter-intuitive for developing that sense of attachment and immersion that comes from traveling with a companion.

First of all, you might want to research the "pawn system" for this game (that's what the companion system is called). I'm not a developer but I'll help you with what I can.

Second, your "main pawn" does level up with you, is a permanent partner throughout the game, and you can freely change it's class and equipment and stuff as you go. Your 2 "support pawns" do not level up, and you must hire new support pawns at different intervals if you want to be successful. It's not "build a party of 4 that lasts the entire game", it's "continually hire new and better support pawns as you play through the game".

Cool things about hiring pawns: you can hire pawns that in another realm have done certain quests already (pawns are immortal beings that come from another realm), and they come equipped with knowledge of the quests and how to kill certain enemies they have faced, etc. They will give you that knowledge in the game. So say you're fighting a hydra for the first time, but you have a pawn in your party that has fought it before. That pawn will tell you exactly how to kill it and what to do. If it's a quest, that pawn will tell you who you need to talk to for the quest and where you need to go.

Also, when you sleep at an inn and shut the game down for the night, your main pawn can be hired by other players in the real world (this is the online aspect of the game). When you wake up from the inn and go to play again, your main pawn may have new equipment or items he earned from someone else's quest, or he may have knowledge gained from someone else's quest, if someone hired him and took him on quests. It sounded really interesting.

Lastly, I saw there is a "pawn trailer" on Xbox Live that you can download and watch. That may give you more information. I'm sure you can find more info by google searching it as well. Here's a quote I found from the game's director:

In addition, the ability to rate pawns, give them presents, and exchange strategies and quest information are all forms of communication worked into this system. We think we made a system that allows you to play freely and not have to worry too much or be strapped for time.

So you can rate pawns, give them presents, exchange information, etc. Very interesting.

Here's a GREAT blog to read for someone new to the pawn system. Read this to better understand the pawn system!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...gons_dogma_pawn_system_gets_the_party_started

Also, I'd like to know what magical handful of good RPG's you're talking about.

The list of console-only RPGs is mostly JRPGs. If you like those types of RPGs, the consoles are a gold mine of goodness.

Valkryia Chronicles (haven't played because I don't own a PS3, but heard it's great)
Magna Carta 2 (cool action-JRPG that's party-based)
Lost Odyssey (beautiful JRPG. one of the best I've ever played)
Blue Dragon (also beautiful. great game)
Enchanted Arms (awesome turn-based, strategy combat, and challenging)
Eternal Sonata (haven't played but heard it's good)
The Tales Series (not a huge fan myself but many say they're great games, and also challenging)
Star Ocean (haven't played but sounds like a decent JRPG)

And 2 mega gems coming for the Wii:

The Last Story (same makers as Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon)
Xenoblade Chronicles (looks like a great action-RPG that's party based)

I would suggest the Xbox 360 over the PS3, but that's just personal preference, and 2 of my favorite RPGs of all time in Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were 360-only. There's also other good console games out there too, like Dante's Inferno, which is an action game but a damn good one. I'm not a huge fan of action games but that game really changed my mind.

Oh well, if you don't want to buy a console that's your choice, but it's a choice that causes you to miss out on some cool games.

Yes, this looks pretty good. Hopefully there won't be too much annoying Japanese style voice acting. I simply cannot stand the cutesy squeaky voices they seem to love.

Also, I don't understand the hostility towards consoles. These things are just video games. GAMES!

Cool things about hiring pawns: you can hire pawns that in another realm have done certain quests already (pawns are immortal beings that come from another realm)

Also, when you sleep at an inn and shut the game down for the night, your main pawn can be hired by other players in the real world

….

So you can rate pawns, give them presents, exchange information, etc. Very interesting.

And that is me completely losing interest… I knew it looked too good to be true ;)
Or to elaborate that (immersion breaking) online persistent multiplayer aspect completely turns me off
(in Dark souls too)…

Oh well, It wasn't as I would ever get a chance to play it :)

Still I would love to see some western developers emulating these guys approach to danger, gameplay realism (in time and travel handling) and difficulty. It would make for some great atmospheric games (you know sorta like the gothics were back in the day)…

I only ask if there is endless mob respawn. If yes, count me out.
No matter if it's console or PC game, I simply can't digest mob respawns.

The list of console-only RPGs is mostly JRPGs. If you like those types of RPGs, the consoles are a gold mine of goodness.

Valkryia Chronicles (haven't played because I don't own a PS3, but heard it's great)
Magna Carta 2 (cool action-JRPG that's party-based)
Lost Odyssey (beautiful JRPG. one of the best I've ever played)
Blue Dragon (also beautiful. great game)
Enchanted Arms (awesome turn-based, strategy combat, and challenging)
Eternal Sonata (haven't played but heard it's good)
The Tales Series (not a huge fan myself but many say they're great games, and also challenging)
Star Ocean (haven't played but sounds like a decent JRPG)

And 2 mega gems coming for the Wii:

The Last Story (same makers as Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon)
Xenoblade Chronicles (looks like a great action-RPG that's party based)

I would suggest the Xbox 360 over the PS3, but that's just personal preference, and 2 of my favorite RPGs of all time in Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were 360-only. There's also other good console games out there too, like Dante's Inferno, which is an action game but a damn good one. I'm not a huge fan of action games but that game really changed my mind.

Oh well, if you don't want to buy a console that's your choice, but it's a choice that causes you to miss out on some cool games.

None of those are cool games. JRPGs are fucking trash. Until Japan realizes that 12 year olds don't save the world and don't get into epic romances, I'll be avoiding them, just like I avoid manga and anime. And come on, you listed games you haven't even played. How can you know that they're good? Just cuz they're console RPGs? Give me a break. I could list a dozen games I haven't played that other people say are great too. It's not a "loss" to me, you can drop the patronizing attitude.

I only ask if there is endless mob respawn. If yes, count me out.
No matter if it's console or PC game, I simply can't digest mob respawns.

Good question; I have no clue about this. If I find out I'll post in this thread again.

None of those are cool games. JRPGs are fucking trash. Until Japan realizes that 12 year olds don't save the world and don't get into epic romances, I'll be avoiding them, just like I avoid manga and anime. And come on, you listed games you haven't even played. How can you know that they're good? Just cuz they're console RPGs? Give me a break. I could list a dozen games I haven't played that other people say are great too. It's not a "loss" to me, you can drop the patronizing attitude.

You're right, I don't know if the games I haven't played are good. I'll admit I relied on the fact that they received high review scores from a number of review sites. You got me there.

The only game that has 12 year olds saving the world that I've played is Blue Dragon. The rest of them have older characters. I don't see what's wrong with having 12 year olds save the world though. If a game is done well it's done well, doesn't matter how old the characters are.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to go veering off topic. Let's all keep our posts to impressions and thoughts about Dragon's Dogma.

Back
Top Bottom