Should I play Ultima IX?

Amazing. Works like a charm in glide mode, max settings on my three years old laptop.
I will try this wrapper on Lands of Lore 2&3 as they both look much better in glide as in direct3D.

I seem to recall games both looking better and, especially, performing better with Glide drivers back in the day, but it's been too long for me to be certain.

If we can get LoL2 to work well like this, I'd be very interested to know.

I am on windows 7 HP with latest nvidia drivers. You can set only two resolutions is glide mode 640X480 and 800X600 in Ultima 9 configurator. But you can set higher resolutions in nGlide configurator. Looks a bit stretched but I can live with it as it runs smoother than in direct3d. Max resolution on my notebook is 1280x800. It also looks a lot more sharper in Glide mode imo. I am running latest unofficial patch 1.19g

Here are some pics from early stage

glide 800x600
jab2mt.jpg

glide 1280x800 (nglide stretched)
2nrnf2t.jpg

D3D 1280x800
2ikf8lk.jpg

I wounder what an origin game would look like if they released it today? I mean they were about 3 years ahead of the competition with most of their games....

Perhaps it would run okay on an I7 with GTX 790 and 32 GB ram too........... :D

I should say 3 years ahead on graphics and. So far 18 years ahead on gamedesign. :D ( Ultima IX not included )

If we can get LoL2 to work well like this, I'd be very interested to know.
No luck with LOL2 but I posted on official forum and we will see if it can run under glide. It is strange as he mentions you must run it with 'lolg95.exe' but LOL2 has glide only in DOS. Direct3D has well known black boxes around textures in W7 & nvidia combination.

On the other hand Lands of Lore 3 works like a charm under glide.:D

I always try to say something nice about Ultima IX, as it IS an Ultima game, whether we like it or not! So I will put forth that the sunsets in the game have still rarely been rivaled today. NWN2 is pretty close in a few areas of the rendering of the night sky, but that's about it.

I think that what killed me on U9 wasn't the plot (which I thought was so-so even with the fan patch, and definitely bad compared to the 'Bob White' plot), the combat/interaction (yes arcade like, but I could have dealt with it), or even the magic system (bleh). It was that this beautiful, intricate world felt positively empty.

All of the previous Ultima's had felt huge. Each town, while maybe not having a sustainable population in real life, felt very busy for a computer town, and each incarnation was better than the previous. Britain in U7 is a virtual metropolis (though I didn't care for what the did to Yew in U7).

But in U9, it feels like there are just a few people scattered here an there. It seems like there are less than 60 characters in the entire world! I distinctly remember the 'town meeting' in Britain. The largest city in Britain had a total of 5 people, IIRC, at the town meeting.

The spaces were huge, but unpopulated. I found it depressing. I ended up playing through the game, just sort of hoping for some sense of closure to the series. Instead, I was literally angry playing the game by the end, but I had just kept holding out that the ending would provide some pay off.

And the whole sequence at the end of sending your companions out to the pillars and such just seemed rushed and inconsistent to the old Ultimas)

I ended up loading BG that night and started playing again just to get myself in a good mood and try to erase the stench of U9 from my memory.

I REALLY wish the DS teams that made Lazarus and U6: P would have instead focused their effort on making a proper Ultima IX (though I enjoyed both of their efforts immensely).

I always try to say something nice about Ultima IX, as it IS an Ultima game, whether we like it or not!

*grumble grumble* ;)

I think that what killed me on U9 wasn't the plot (which I thought was so-so even with the fan patch, and definitely bad compared to the 'Bob White' plot)…

I really, really, REALLY wish we had gotten the Bob White plot. That's probably my biggest regret and disappointment in all my years of playing games.

The development history listed there is very interesting. The 3-D isometric game looked like it would have been really amazing. Stupid Ultima Online!

What's Nglide? A driver for using Glide API in Nvidia cards? Wizardz&Warriors is buggy and unplayable in Direct3d mode. Maybe with this I can play the game on glide mode. But, I'm afraid of messing with my graphic card driver.

It translates Glide to D3D so any card that can run D3D can then run Glide games. As far as I know, you shouldn't have to do anything with your video card drivers to use it.

Wizardz&Warriors is buggy and unplayable in Direct3d mode. Maybe with this I can play the game on glide mode. But, I'm afraid of messing with my graphic card driver.
W&W does not support glide mode, just D3D. There are really few RPG games or games with some RPG elements and glide support.

To name few

Lands of Lore 2&3
Redguard
Ultima 9
Deathtrap Dungeon
Dungeon Keeper 2
King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
Heretic&Hexen 2
Hype: The Time Quest

Back
Top Bottom