Windows 10 icon on my taskbar

lackblogger

SasqWatch
Hey all you Windows 7 and 8 users - take a look at the bottom right of your screen on the taskbar - Windows 10 advert! Convert for free!

I haven't clicked yet, want to hear from someone else who's clicked it first ;)

It's a sort of "preorder". Bah. Just ignore it.
I'm very interested into win10, but there is no way I'll upgrade my win7 the very first day although it's free for the first year.

If in a month or two after release happens that win10 is not bug-o-rama nor performance killer like Vista's release version, I'll most probably buy a fresh win10 license, already posted why (can't know when and if past the first year I'll have to reinstall OS so I want to be sure plus I don't trust OS upgrades but want clean installation).

Newegg revealed the prices (I want pro version because I need it, but am sure many will be satisfied with home edition):
Windows 10 Home - $109,99
Windows 10 Professional - $149,99

I won't be upgrading my laptop for several months as well. I'm going to wait and see how the early adapters do first plus I want to see how the desktop UI actually looks and works. I never bothered to download and test it as I was disgusted with 8 when I tested that and felt I wasted my time with it.

W10 is supposed to be coming out of 19th July. And I clicked and it only asked for my email.

That's cool, I shall ignore it in that case :)

It's actually a Patch MS did months ago - nudge nudge nudge people into buying W10.

This Patch even has its own Knowledge Base entry.

That patch actually made my cooling fans spin up when my computer was inactive. It turned out it was doing data collection for the upgrade, even though I was set to opt out of that sort of thing. That didn't really give me warm feelings towards Windows 10.

I'm definitely upgrading my Win7 PC to Win10 and my Win8 Laptop, so finally I'll have a unified house!

I clicked it and I'm ready to upgrade :)

Then again, I'm not the paranoid type.

I'll be buying a disk as well and be upgrading day 1 as I have with every OS release.

I'll be buying a disk as well and be upgrading day 1 as I have with every OS release.

Well, the smart thing to do is to wait 6 months or so until you're sure the kinks have been worked out, especially where games and drivers are concerned.

Well, the smart thing to do is to wait 6 months or so until you're sure the kinks have been worked out, especially where games and drivers are concerned.

I think I've already made it pretty clear that smart doesn't factor in to my decision making when it comes to my PC upgrading obsession.:D

I think I've already made it pretty clear that smart doesn't factor in to my decision making when it comes to my PC upgrading obsession.:D

Not necessarily :)

If what you do makes you happy, it's smarter than being smart, isn't it?

Not necessarily :)

If what you do makes you happy, it's smarter than being smart, isn't it?

I think I just found my new motto.:)

Seriously though, I just dual boot if I have too many issues. I had to dual boot with Xp for quite a while before I was able to let it go.

I think I just found my new motto.:)

Seriously though, I just dual boot if I have too many issues. I had to dual boot with Xp for quite a while before I was able to let it go.

Well, I hate dual booting myself, but it's a valid option :)

I'm not sure what to make of it. Seems like I dont get to upgrade my Windows 7 Media Center Edition PC without losing the key feature Windows Media Center. Its not the best DVR in the world but actually works quite well and is far more open than Tivo and I like it far better than the crap that Xfinity was trying to make me use.

I might register the main PC to lock in the upgrade but we have over a year before that offer expires which is more than enough time to find out what it actually means.

Win 10 also takes away your right to control or refuse updates - it will install updates as it sees fit.

Win 10 also takes away your right to control or refuse updates - it will install updates as it sees fit.

IIRC, only the home edition but yes its annoying change.

I love that new feature because I've seen people disabling updates. They find automatic restart weekly very annoying instead of accepting it's for their own good. And then eventually their windows doesn't work as it should and then they call me and then I discover there are 100+ updates pending!

On the other hand I do believe that's the first thing 3rd parties will hack away. :(

I love that new feature because I've seen people disabling updates. They find automatic restart weekly very annoying instead of accepting it's for their own good. And then eventually their windows doesn't work as it should and then they call me and then I discover there are 100+ updates pending!

On the other hand I do believe that's the first thing 3rd parties will hack away. :(

I don't have a problem with automatic update download, but I truly hate taking a quick break and come back with the computer restarted without my consent. Just leave the update there for the next reboot, it will eventually happen (that's how I have my two computers set up).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom