Kingmaker - Preview @Keen Gamer

This game looks even less accessible to your average gamer than POE2, so I wouldn't be worried. If anything POE2 has brought a lot more fans to the genre than before.

Depends on what you mean by "average gamer" ;)

I think Watchers will appreciate RPGs like Kingmaker since most of them are up for a fun challenge :)

Yeah, but most watchers probably have experience with this genre and wouldn't be scared away because of POE2 (which is a great CRPG for old and new alike IMO).

It's less accessible because it has poor graphics/artstyle, limited voiceacting, based off an unpopular and needlessly obtuse tabletop system, and considering it's made by a tiny Russian studio, guaranteed to be janky as hell. Only oldschool fans will be interested.

Yeah, but watchers probably have experience with this genre and wouldn't be scared away because of POE2 (which IMO is a great CRPG for old and new alike)

It's less accessible in the sense that it has poor graphics/artstyle, limited voiceacting, based off an unpopular and needlessly obtuse tabletop system, and considering it's made by a small Russian studio guaranteed to be janky as hell. Only oldschool fans will get hyped about it.

Art style is based on personal preference and I have no idea why you would think graphics is poor - it's very comparable to PoE2 graphics from what I've seen. I am playing the beta and the UI and game play is not "janky" - but hey, seems like someone decided to be closed minded and judge the game before even playing it, so I won't wasting my breathe anymore :)

POE2 uses hand-painted backgrounds for everything besides character models, whereas Kingmaker uses many low budget 3D rendered models. The artstyle looks generic ASF to me and not as distinctive, but of course it's subjective.

You're right, I spoke prematurely about the jank, but I've never played a Russian RPG that wasn't terribly janky and bug infested. I'll be impressed if it's well polished at release, but considering the engine and team size I wouldn't hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom