Sword of Truth Series (Terry Goodkind)

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Has anyone here read all of the released books yet? I'm in the Naked Empire book and I have to say that this series is getting very boring. I'm forcing myself to read the books because I paid for them, but this series is becoming "the never-ending yet never-interesting saga" to me. The first 4 books were very interesting with a lot of magic and battles and the last 2-3 have been boring offshoots where very little action takes place. It's like the guy suddenly decided that he wanted to explain his "philosophy" rather than entertain me. If you've read the books after Naked Empire, can you tell me if the story picks up? It's becoming a snoozefest.

I liked the rest. I haven't read his last book but the others after Naked Empire we're good. I don't really want to go into details in what happens in the other books but a lot of people didn't like the fact that "somebody" went missing AGAIN. That is all I will say about that in case you want to read them.

I will say I was sick and tired of him repeating his philosophy every three seconds in the other books or repeating why one of the characters liked Richard and how much he meant to them. I don't mind it the first couple of times but when he started repeating it over and over I got annoyed. Personally I liked the his view points on the world around him, I just wish he would shut up after repeating it for the sixteenth hundreth time.

That all said I will still buy the new book, they're always slow coming to Taiwan so I haven't checked my local English bookstore for it yet.

I read I think the first three books, but his oozy sentimentalism kind of got to me to where I couldn't focus on the good points. I thought he was a strong original writer, but severely handicapped by not knowing when to shut up. :)

but severely handicapped by not knowing when to shut up. :)

Couldn't agree more oh wise and wonderful magerette. The shutting up thing is a real problem expcially in his later books. He sorta reminds me of a Uncle of mine that just won't shut up about religion even though he knows it will cause tempers to rise whenever there is a family gathering. Everyone agrees after he leaves that it's great to have just some peace and quiet for a change :)

Thanks folks. I'm stuck with the books til 9. After that, I'm going to wait until the library gets them. I can't see wasting $8 on cheap, repetitive philosophy. It seems like he can't let go of Khalan and Richard. I wish he'd just wrap up and move on to something new. If he stays in the same world for his next series, I'll be skipping it as well.

I was really excited about the series after reading the first book. After reading the second, though, I know I won't be buying the third - I'm glad I wasn't wrong.

If he stays in the same world for his next series, I'll be skipping it as well.

I liked the world he created and the mord-sith were just too cool. Plus the magic in the world was unique, not your usual say some words, throw your hands in the air and presto you just destroyed a city. The additive and subtractive magic was one of the cool things about the book.

Also I heavily recomend the books. Even though he is a bit repetative with his philosophy, it is still one best stories I've read in awhile. I liked it anyways, like I said before I just wish he wouldn't try to fill up his book by repeating himself but other than that it was a great ride :)

@Vperic You have to at least get to Blood of the Fold. That was one of my favorites :)

Okay a little tongue in cheek here:

My biggest problem with the earlier books was that Richard was constantly caught and tortured by women. It was really trite and I was glad he FINALLY got tired of writing about it. I kept thinking he was writing his series for a very small subset of gay women who think they're the physical equal of men. When you look at the picture of the writer, this was made more believable. He's a wispy little dude, balding with a pony tail. He scowls in all of his pictures trying to look like a tough guy. I laughed for 5 minutes the first time I saw his picture :D

I must be a lesbian in a guys body then ;) In the second book Richard was imprisoned again but there was a lot more to it than just capture him and put him in a cell. I thought he blended the story from the first book into the next one rather well and got Richard into a whole new land that would bring the ultimate fight of his life. Also who didn't just love Gratch :)Most of all though it brought a whole new dimension to both his sword and his wizardly powers. I don't know about you but I liked the strong female characters he creates. It sure beats the hell out of the damsel in distress or throwing in a few token strong female characters in a book dominated by male heroes.

Back
Top Bottom