Is there no game like Gothic 1 and 2 in this world?

Gothic is a game that I always wanted to like, but couldn't get past the clunky interface and the fact that it was very hard to start as a mage; which is my prefered class. I own all three of them though. I really enjoyed Risen 3 though.

It's not clear, is it the general UI or the special combats commands?

The general UI is rather bizarre with plenty key only commands and multiple commands you really need to know and it's not intuitive like cancel a morph. But after some time to use it, it's not you become used to the crap but you realize how handy and efficient it is like for the inventory management.

For the combats, I think G2 had an option for a scheme like G3 so more standard controls. But the commands like G1 are the way to go, in my opinion the combats aren't as good without them, and that's in part why Risen can't compete with G2+NOTR. But overall Risen is very far despite it's same team and they tried continue with the Gothic spirit.

…After getting used to it, it actually made more sense with the back and forth (and lunging type overhead) swinging of the buttons instead of just a straight up button mash. It soon became my all-time favorite game
My opinion too, the special combats controls are an elegant way to avoid the bottom smashing. There's other ways to discourage it, and I think Risen tried it as Gothic 3 did before, but Risen did it better. Still both failed capture it and I think it's because they gave up on that controls design.

I will admit though that the inventory screen was a bit clunky at best

Clunky? Yes. Elegant? Not even close.
But fast? Yes, very!
I remember I've played KotOR right after one of the early Gothics. KotOR used a modern interface design. Everything intuitive, stylish and elegant. The only problem: It took ca. 10 times as much time to sell a load of items collected on the way.

It was a terrible mistake not to document and explain the interface better. Gothic and G2 have a simple and very easy to learn interface, but you have to actually learn it because it's non-intuitive.

But fast? Yes, very!
I remember I've played KotOR right after one of the early Gothics. KotOR used a modern interface design. Everything intuitive, stylish and elegant. The only problem: It took ca. 10 times as much time to sell a load of items collected on the way.

It was a terrible mistake not to document and explain the interface better. Gothic and G2 have a simple and very easy to learn interface, but you have to actually learn it because it's non-intuitive.
Just for selling stacks I vaguely remind there was special commands like for +1 another for +10 and so on, lol.

But the inventory non limited was quickly a huge garbage crap and the weird UI was allowing manage it very quickly and with the smallest effort and gestures.

But fast? Yes, very!

Designed by or / and for people who have always the hands on their keyboard.
It was very noticeable for me, because at that time I was writing a lot.
I'm at least talking about the trade interface.

I'd recommand Risen 1. It has the best combat system pbs have designed so far imo and its very similar to gothic series in every way.

It is the exact same combat system...it is made by the same dev's who made gothic series. but I still like gothic over the risen series.

It is the exact same combat system…it is made by the same dev's who made gothic series. but I still like gothic over the risen series.

It's similar but not the exact same. For instance, you can't use shields in Gothic 1&2, and you don't have separate skills for swords, axes, etc.

But yeah.. Gothic (1&2) is better in most ways. Larger world, better music (imo), more variety in the exploration, etc.

Nehrim and Enderal are somewhat like Gothic; if it had to be made with Skyrim's engine. However, they feel more like Gothic 3 than the other two.

Yea... Bugs... :evilgrin:

Nehrim and Enderal are somewhat like Gothic; if it had to be made with Skyrim's engine. However, they feel more like Gothic 3 than the other two.

I agree (have only played Gothic 1 & 2, though). They are sort of a hybrid of Gothic and Elder Scrolls.

Back
Top Bottom