The TV Series discussion thread

I am really enjoy the show "Better call Saul" from the guys that brought us "Breaking Bad". "Jimmy" six years before he becomes "Saul" and meets "Walt".

It is very well done and one of the few shows I have watched every week. I do believe only 9 episodes have aired so far. If you were a fan of breaking bad or not give it a watch. It is a much different pace show, so far anyways.

I actively avoided McConnehay (sp) until True Detective.

I will admit in his early years he seemed to star in every chick flick there was. Though he has become one of the actors I look forward it in movies lately.

With roles in:

Mud, the Lincoln Lawyer, Dallas Buyers Club, Interstellar, We are Marshall.

He was even very funny in The wolf of Wall Street in the small roll he had on that.

As for true Detective, they will be hard press to come close what they did last year. The first trailer came out this week for the second season and even though I can't stand Colin Farrell I will give it a watch. The trail has sold me on at least giving it a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfU7CGY5DQ

Last edited:
Better Call Saul had a solid first season. I'd venture to say a novice knowing nothing at all about the Breaking Bad universe could stroll into Saul and enjoy it just as much. Odenkirk and Banks simply killed in their respective roles.

I don't normally re-watch TV shows, not so say if something that is on the TV that I have seen I jump to change it as 95% of the it is just white noise in the back ground when I am working.

I am thinking I might just have to re-watch this series though. Shame it isn't the same cast as I could plan it out before season two starts.

Anyone catch the new Daredevil series? I found it quite brutal compared to say the DC TV series.

Not me. Marvel's agents of shield is something I watched 20+ episodes hoping it'll get better and then I finally quit that boredom, but Agent Carter was absolutely fantastic!

I'm not risking another Marvel TV show unless someone says it's great.
Daredevil btw was one of my favorite comics. A hero with a flaw. You couldn't find such ones in comics back then easily. Also, Constantine, another favorite comics character of mine, with a flaw of course, got totally changed in a TV show because of political or whatnot correctness to something without a flaw, so I refused to watch it (and later heard that it heavily copied stuff from Doctor Who).
See my doubts? I just don't want a TV show to kill off my favorite fiction characters. If they can't respect the source material, they should not bother to make a TV show out of it.

Who is ready for Game of Thrones tonight? I watched last season again so things would be fresh in my mind for tonight. I've said it once and I will say it again, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANYTHING MADE FOR TV THAT IS BETTER THEN GoT :) sorry I am that excited.

I will start watching Daredevil tomorrow. This weekend all about GoT. The mini series Daredevil is based on, was some fabulous comics written by Frank Miller.

Apparently daredevil starts off strong. But I still got a bad taste in my mouth because of the movie so I'm holding off for the moment.

Excited for got but I will watch in a month or so.

More in a movie mood this weekend. Just saw invasion of the bodysnatchers I want more good horror, it's a small niche

The Daredevil TV series bears NO resemblance to the pathetic movie from several years ago.

But is it good? I can give it a shot if they didn't massacre the base idea and turned the show into whatever that's not original story.

Meanwhile, as said above, to anyone sarching for superhero TV shows, go for Arrow, Flash and Agent Carter. Those three are good and fun.
Skip Agents of Shield, it's boring, annoying, predictable, cheesy and cheap; and skip Constantine, it's nothing from the comic it's based on.

Skip Agents of Shield, it's boring, annoying, predictable, cheesy and cheap; and skip Constantine, it's nothing from the comic it's based on.

But is it good?
quoting you on your own post :) You said to skip Constantine because it's nothing from the comic it's based on… but is it good? Since I don't know or care about the comic, all I want to know if the series in itself is good or not.

Yup. Series is, not per me but per others, Doctor Who rip off.
Sure, rip offs can still be good, just like game clones can still be good, but I'm not talking about that kind of good.

You don't have to care about materials series are based on, books, comics, greek tragedies, real life events. I do however and while to some Jackson made a masterpiece with his first trilogy, to me his Wellington landscape hymn is slap to the face of books fans.

While you could say the Hobbit was a slap in the face to book fans, Peter Jackson deserves credit for even getting LotR's made. I loved LotR and if you are going to have a bunch of scenery shots you can't go wrong with New Zealand. I know I want to go there before I die.

The movie Fellowship of the Ring alone should give any fantasy fan great joy. Joxer you need to let some joy into your life :) I will take you out to some strip clubs and all the couch dances and drinks are on me :) You live close to Ohio?

Last edited:
The Hobbit all but nullified the positive qualities Jackson generated regarding my perception of his talents, and which he'd already been steadily squandering since FotR came out in 2001.

FotR was a true masterpiece, TTT was merely great and RotK was, overall, a middling disappointment.

I've only seen the first two Hobbit movies, and the first one was utter dreck while the second is better left untalked about, since it can't be unseen.

While you could say the Hobbit was a slap in the face to book fans, Peter Jackson deserves credit for even getting LotR's made. I loved LotR and and if you are going to have a bunch of scenery shots you can't go wrong with New Zealand. I know I want to go there before I die.

The movie Fellowship of the Ring alone should give any fantasy fan great joy. Joxer you need to let some joy into your life :) I will take you out to some strip clubs and all the couch dances and drinks are on me :) You live close to Ohio?

Sorry, I was not talking about Hobbit trilogy but his first trilogy.
Not only I'm pretty sure Auckland is as beautiful as Wellington is and maybe even more, see, I live in a country with such landscape diversity I wanted Tolkien's book on screen and Tom Bombadil, instead of landscapes. Besides, I've seen many of those already in Xena: Warrior Princess.

Sorry, I was not talking about Hobbit trilogy but his first trilogy.
Not only I'm pretty sure Auckland is as beautiful as Wellington is and maybe even more, see, I live in a country with such landscape diversity I wanted Tolkien's book on screen and Tom Bombadil, instead of landscapes. Besides, I've seen many of those already in Xena: Warrior Princess.

I do agree with you very much about Tom Bombadil.

So, last night, after 4 years of on again, off again viewing, I finishing viewing all 9 seasons of the X-Files. I had seen everything but the 9th season back when it originally aired and so I wanted to refresh my memory prior to watching it...

The last three seasons (everything post-LA move) was a downward spiral of mediocrity and awfulness. God, it was such a degenerative tailspin that, by the final season, there was but one single episode that I would deem "good" - the one with Burt Reynolds playing a Checkers-loving God. Juxtaposed against the finale - the trite plot device of a trial to recap events - it would be the only gasp of air in the death knell of season 9.

Why did those last three seasons suck? It's as if the writers just gave up on the show :(.

Other standout episodes for me:
Season 5 Episode 4 - Detour, Scully sings Jeremiah was a Bullfrog to a Mulder lying in her lap. Hilarious, unexpected, sweet, and unforgettable.
Season 3 - Episode 4 - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Peter Boyle (dad of Everybody Loves Raymond fame) plays a psychic who can only see how other people die. An incredibly poignant episode with a lot of dry wit.

Back
Top Bottom