Vista and Games II

I havent had any problems playing to The Witcher with Vista so far.

I'm fairly satisfied with that new OS. Looks nicer and the interface is generally more efficient than the one of XP.

Games I played with it :

Dominion 2
Mount and Blade
The Witcher
NWN2
Call of duty IV
Warhammer : Mark of Chaos
Medieval 2

I have a second hard drive on my computer I can still use to boot on XP but I havent used it since a couple of months. Vista does the job pretty well and it sees my IDE XP hard drive easily while XP doesnt see the Sata Hard drive. Might be something about the way the slave/master is configured but I never really understood how this worked.

Again, rather different from your blanket statement that "The Witcher won't run on Vista."

I didn't say that The Witcher won't run on Vista. I said that you were wrong about your statement telling aries100 that he/she was incorrect. Aries was trying to help and what do you do, you tell aries that everything aries said was incorrect or wrong. I couldn't back up what aries said concerning the operation of Vista (I don't use vista so I don't know if what aries said is true or not) but I could, at least, tell you that your *blanket statement* about Witcher installing and working wonderfully was wrong "The Witcher installs and runs on Vista with no problems." Not everyone, a small majority it seems, installed and ran Witcher with no problems on Vista.

Please, tell me I'm wrong. Quote me that I said Witcher won't run on everyone's Vista. I'm hoping it's a misunderstanding because it is really annoying when someone puts words in your mouth that you never said.

I didn't say that The Witcher won't run on Vista. I said that you were wrong about your statement telling aries100 that he/she was incorrect. Aries was trying to help and what do you do, you tell aries that everything aries said was incorrect or wrong.

I know that the intention was good, but the result wasn't. There's way too much misinformation around, so I try to correct it when I come across it, and encourage people to be a bit more diligent before they post.

I couldn't back up what aries said concerning the operation of Vista (I don't use vista so I don't know if what aries said is true or not) but I could, at least, tell you that your *blanket statement* about Witcher installing and working wonderfully was wrong "The Witcher installs and runs on Vista with no problems." Not everyone, a small majority it seems, installed and ran Witcher with no problems on Vista.

Please, tell me I'm wrong. Quote me that I said Witcher won't run on everyone's Vista. I'm hoping it's a misunderstanding because it is really annoying when someone puts words in your mouth that you never said.

It probably is a misunderstanding, but it's still a significant one.

The thing about The Witcher and Vista is that I think you need to turn off the annyoing UAC (user access control) as well as maybe right clicking the .exe file and choose 'run this program as an administrator'.

He's claiming that you need to jump through these hoops to get Vista to run. This is a blanket statement, not qualified in any way, other than the (commendable) "I think." It's also incorrect, and doesn't address the actual cause of Witcher/Vista problems -- the combination of Vista x32 and nVidia drivers.

In other words, it's useless misinformation -- stuff that is unlikely to help anyone, and likely to lead people to wrong conclusions.

When I called him out on it, you told me:

Wrong, the main problem I had with Vista was with Witcher.

In other words, you came out to corroborate Aries's piece of pernicious misinformation, again without qualifiers -- just "wrong."

That means you're contributing to the spread of misinformation. I have zero respect for that. I appreciate Aries's intention to be helpful, and I don't think I was too harsh on him; however, I strongly believe that it's more important to be reasonably accurate than well-intentioned but uninformed.

The same goes for you -- I commend your noble sentiment of rising to defend the picked-on underdog from the forum bully, but the net outcome is negative: one soul stroked, but the likelihood increased of more people believing in the incorrect information that started this particular sub-thread.

In other words, you came out to corroborate Aries's piece of pernicious misinformation, again without qualifiers -- just "wrong."

That means you're contributing to the spread of misinformation. I have zero respect for that. I appreciate Aries's intention to be helpful, and I don't think I was too harsh on him; however, I strongly believe that it's more important to be reasonably accurate than well-intentioned but uninformed.

The same goes for you -- I commend your noble sentiment of rising to defend the picked-on underdog from the forum bully, but the net outcome is negative: one soul stroked, but the likelihood of lots of people believing in the incorrect information that started this particular sub-trhead.

One thing, it's not misinformation. I've already told you where to go to check out where more than just me that had problems Vista and I don't think you're an internet bully, you were just giving wrong information.

By the way incorrect and wrong means the same thing.

One thing, it's not misinformation. I've already told you where to go to check out where more than just me that had problems Vista and I don't think you're an internet bully, you were just giving wrong information.

What wrong information, specifically? "The Witcher runs on Vista with no problems" is not the same as "nobody ever had any problems running The Witcher on Vista." Any more than "The Witcher runs on XP with no problems" means that "nobody ever had any problems running The Witcher on XP." (If you like, I can find you postings from people who had trouble running The Witcher on XP, right on those threads.) You're not stupid, I'm sure you can tell the difference yourself.

My problem with you was that your well-intentioned defense of Aries gave the impression of corroborating the bad information he was giving. That was my problem with you.

By the way incorrect and wrong means the same thing.

Thank you for the vocabulary lesson. I'll try to keep that in mind in the future.

Back
Top Bottom