K&M Support on Console

This thread was sparked from my rant on The Last of Us 2, due to the issue I'm having with aiming on a controller. I'll just move that post to here, since I think it's more applicable. And I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. It just astounds me that we're into the fucking 5th generation of the Playstation and they still haven't dealt with this issue.

danutz_plusplus said:
Just popped in to say I hate aiming with controllers. With a passion. I almost broke my headphones due to these stupid things. Slugish as fuck when you want the cursor to move, and then you can't stop due to inertia. Worst peripheral ever. Whoever came up with it should have his professional license removed.

Why the fuck won't console developers also adopt keyboard and mouse as an option. The PS4 supports it, but it's also up to individual devs to do so. But why doesn't Sony force its first-party developers to do it, if they officially support k&m.

I know I might be in a fit of rage right now, but I'm seriously considering just spoiling the whole plot for myself, and avoiding all the frustration which comes with aiming on these fucking things.

That's it. That's my rant.

EDIT: And before anyone recommends those adapters that adapt k&m input to controller, they don't seem to work very good. At least the one I got is all over the place with consistency. And it also doesn't help that all in-game prompts are using the controller buttons.

Sony and the other devs should absolutely be ashamed of themselves. It would take absolute minimal effort to make the game work perfectly on k&m. Multi hundred million dollar game budgets, and they don't make it work on a k&m. Fuck that. But they like to show off how accessible their game is. And how sightless people can play it. But they can't do support for a fucking mouse? This just proves that all that inclusiveness that they constantly tout in marketing is just bullshit.

Has anyone managed to solve this issue in a decent way? As I said above, I've tried a particular k&m to controller adapter, but I've had flawed results. Laggy, and just not very nice.

Ok, I went and ordered what seems to be one of the high end adapters. It's the equivalent of about $160. So it's quite expensive for what it does, but reviews seems to be all-around positive.

It's this one. The XIM Technologies 1005 Apex Precision Mouse and Keyboard Adaptor. I hope it'll do its job. I'm really sick of this issue.

If this one doesn't solve the issue properly, I might just give up on console gaming. The level of frustration is just not worth it.

Sony and others don't support them because using them requires some sort of desk. They don't work so well if you want to support 2+ players at a time, either.

Personally, I would avoid any game with shooting like the plague on console.

Agreed. 3D shooting at least. 2D shooting works well enough with most controllers.

I also think that the Sony et al. are a little bit afraid of becoming indistinguishable from a PC.

Indeed. It seems amazing how much the general console gaming audience will put up with, when they don't know how well things go with a mouse. That's the only explanation I have that they put up with it. And that it's basically the same thumbstick design since forever.

There doesn't even seem to be any will to improve. I look at what steam did with their controller. Not sure how much of an improvement that is vs thumbstick controllers, but at least they're trying.

I hope this new adapter works as well as youtubers seem to say, because if it does I'll be the happiest man. I'll even replay Last of Us 1 on a harder difficulty. I've been putting that off just because I remember how frustrating it was to go through the one time I finished it.

That's a lot of money to pay for an adapter. Personally, I'd just practice with the gamepad.

I don't recall having too many issues when I played TLoU 1 back then. I spent a lot of time on consoles as a kid though so it might just seem easier to me. Plus, I actually don't mind using a gamepad nowadays because it take the pressure off my wrist which has been bothering me some recently.

I wish I could play TLoU 2 now, but I don't have a PS4, and I'm waiting for the PS5 to be released.

Given enough time with the game, I could get good enough to get by on average difficulties. That's what I did with the first last of us. I also cheesed the game a whole lot with running in circles when I had an npc with me, trying to get the AI to fight each other.

But I also had loads of just frustrating moments doing that. Loads of reloads just because of missed shots. Especially in a game where resources are scarce. So, yeah, technically I could brute force my way through the problem. But not even on the hardest difficulties which would bring the highest levels of enjoyment, personally.

And the worst thing is, I game very little on a console, so by the time I'm done getting my skills up to a decent level, I'm done with the game, and then I'll not start it back up until another significant console title gets released. Which again leads to skill atrophy. Which leads to needing to do it all over again on the next game. If I can, I'd rather just fix it once and for all.

I hope it works without too many issues.

Last edited:
Ok, upon further introspection, I decided the adapter was an emotional purchase. I was really angry at that moment. Fortunately, I managed to cancel my order. This was after I went back into the same scenario, calm this time, and did no longer expose myself gratuitously. And progressed quite further this time. Seems I have pc-gaming inpulses where I'm used to being able to pop-up from behind cover, take a shot, and then dive back behind cover. This does not fly with controller aiming. So, I just resorted back to stealth and managed it quite well.

But that still does not excuse the lack of k&m support. But, oh well, rather than fight the system, better to work with it?

Until the next scenario I will be thrown into where I'll deem it unfair again?

Back
Top Bottom