Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 Coverage

If I had to make a guess, I'd say they took Prendergast as the 'base', then thought it fun to change it by way of combining the 'Penta' from 'Pentagram' and 'ghast' from some D&D monster manual. I can easily imagine them chuckling at their own naughty cleverness. I can actually appreciate that, it's a very recognisable DM-prank ;)

There are ghasts in DA too and they have nothing in common with D&D ghast.

Also, the Pendragon link is probably more likely, because the Pentaghasts are Thedas Legendary Royal badass clan.

There are ghasts in DA too and they have nothing in common with D&D ghast.

Well, there's the name 'ghast'. But I remembered ghasts are originally from Lovecraft; probably a lapsed copyright or something, just as with weyrs.
In DA the critters were introduced well after DA2's release and that of the Cassandra Pentaghast character, by the way.

As for deriving Pentaghast from Pendragon, well, the devs are silent on this matter so everybody can pick his or her own favourite derivation.

In DA the critters were introduced well after DA2's release and that of the Cassandra Pentaghast character, by the way.

I really doubt the ghasts were created for MotA, in fact, they seems more like cut content that was resurrected by a DLC (darkspawn orignal design only being in DA2 for example) or something they were working on parallel for another game (like the Harvester model).

Anyway, my personally theory is that "ghast" means tribe or clan anyway.

it's possible they use EBoN for the 'culturally specific' names, like Anglo-Saxon names for some of the Fereldens and French for Orlesians.
Vivienne is anglo saxon.

I do hope that's not the case in EbON or any other name generator, because that would be incredibly sloppy as well as wrong.

Vivienne is French, female form of Vivien, which itself is derived from Vivianus, the name of at least two saints I know of, one of them a bishop in 5th century Gaul. There's also St. Viviana / Bibiana (4th century martyr saint, probably fictional) in Italy.

Then there's the Arthurian Viviana of course, who pops up in the 13th century French 'Estoire de Merlin'.

Anyway, Vivienne is a relatively well-known modern French name. I don't think a studio in a partly French-speaking country needs a name generator for that.

Back
Top Bottom