Shenmue 3 - Another Crowdfunding Campaign

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
For those who missed the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign, which raised $6,333,295, there is now a new change to throw money at Ys Net for the development of the game.

“There are so many people told us they could not pledge on Kickstarter, or could not make the deadline, and have asked for a PayPal page for another opportunity to contribute to Shenmue III,” the studio said.

“The Slacker Backer period will continue through December 31st. While the full game will be completed as promised with the use of the funding collected on Kickstarter, any additional funding collected here will go towards reaching the Stretch Goals to make the game even bigger and deeper.

“The three month window was set to allow a long enough time to for everyone who wants to support Shenmue III to do so, but short enough to keep the release date on track. The PayPal page will feature a selection of rewards from the Kickstarter campaign including the Trial Version and the Collector’s Edition.”
More information.

I'm really not surprised… In its day, Shenmue was the most expensive game ever made, costing $70 million (dev + marketing), which would be about $100M adjusted for inflation.

I did throw some cash at this Kickstarter, but I did so knowing that we might just be funding a very short game/glorified demo (such as MGSV:GZ) used to secure more serious funding.

I'm trying to think of a large succesful kickstarter that *hasn't* had a slacker-backer period after the campaign ended. It's pretty much normal at this point isn't it?

It's basically the cheapest marketing.

Back
Top Bottom