Do you Play PC JRPGs?

Do You Play PC JRPGs?

• Yes

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters
Used to play them on my Playstation, but never on the PC. And for the most part, I found them creepy looking as hell. I played maybe a total of ten or so.

I rarely play them as I find them to be generally grindy and have annoying gameplay features. It has the be a really great jrpg for me to play it.

Still play them every now and then,seems theres not that many good ones anymore these days.

Couldn't stick with FFVII for too long (despite it having cult status) so if that's the best this subgenre has to offer I'd say no. Not that it's bad, it's just not my thing.

FF7 the best? I think you're getting it wrong, it was the best at the time (arguably), that's like saying Ultima 7 is the best western RPGs has to offer.
FF 9 and FF 10 were much better IHMO, but they're still like over 10 years old games. For more recent games, I loved Persona 3 and 4. Also loved the Star Oceans, Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni.

Last edited:
to me, being able to enjoy a jrpg as a reasonably sane adult is one of the greater mysteries of life.
To quote just about every JRPG character ever:

FF7 the best? I think you're getting it wrong, it was the best at the time (arguably), that's like saying Ultima 7 is the best western RPGs has to offer.
FF 9 and FF 10 were much better IHMO, but they're still like over 10 years old games. For more recent games, I loved Persona 3 and 4. Also loved the Star Oceans, Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni.

What about Chrono Trigger?

I'm playing chrono trigger. I'm in the black omen atm. It's a bit underwhelming, the combat is boring though better than other jrpgs. The story is just good

Dunno. I think my expectations were just too high with all the praise.

I thought FFVII and Chrono Trigger were among the best JRPGs. Anything else I should try ? Any crawlers?

Games like FF VII and Chrono Trigger aren't going to have the same impact if you're just now getting around to playing them for the first time.

I think FF VII was overrated, but CT was amazing for its time.

My brother is crazy about the FF games. He's also a Buffy fan, though, so you kinda know what you're dealing with :)

AFAIK, he thinks of FF7 and FF9 as the best things ever, more or less.

What's a jrpg ? I mean I just play games how do I know if it was a jrpg ?
You mean if it's RPG how to know it's jRPG?

1. There has to be something oversized in it. It's either a weapon (sword, spear), eyes or something else (use your imagination, but they don't escape from puting perv stuff like western developers do). This still doesn't mean DA2 was jRPG where we saw an elf with oversized sword, it was probably EA's suckup to playstation audience. Hell the whole game was PS suckup and PC betrayal.

2. A crapload of text/story everywhere, comparable to Planescape:Torment, just usually not of that quality and with different storytelling style. In jRPG you get bombarded by hundreds of meaningless words since the start and if you can live with the confusion, you'll eventually discover what each of those words mean in game's world.

3. There is no supercomplex rulesystem like d&d, TDE, Special, Pathfinder or another, all are simple. And I didn't see any jRPG where you can improve base attributes (like strength, intelligence, etc), it happens automatically on levelup.
Characters usually have a special unique power with cooldown or another refill mechanics that prevent it from spamming constantly.

4. There is an option to use japanese voiceovers and english/german/spanish/etc subtitles. These games are supposed to be played with japanese VO, but some people never learned how to read and everyone else has to suffer because of that so default setting outside of Japan is english VO and no subtitles.

Maids with bunny ears? Gimme, gimme!
I saw maids with cat ears which suck, so this change would be fantastic!

True I have no problem with that last part but the kitten mounts and other cutesy stuff is just freaking weird!

JRPGs aren't weird, a lot them are just made for a more child-at-heart type of person. Personally, I love them for that reason. :)

JRPGs aren't weird, a lot them are just made for a more child-at-heart type of person. Personally, I love them for that reason. :)

I would agree with that, though I prefer to call it child-at-heart-and-mind :)

Not a bad thing, though.

The second ff game of the ps2 was the best. The one where monsters are visible and you can avoid them. And with the tile? Based skill selection.

The second ff game of the ps2 was the best. The one where monsters are visible and you can avoid them. And with the tile? Based skill selection.

Yeah, that was FFXII, and it has more of a Western RPG style compared to the rest of the series gameplay-wise. The characters are still very JRPG-like though.

Back
Top Bottom