Baldur's Gate - Retrospective Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MrEdders123 looks back at Baldur's Gate:

Baldur's Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast - A Retrospective Review

A retrospective review of Bioware's 1998 CRPG smash hit. Examines the circumstances surrounding the game's early development, the context of the RPG market in the mid-late 90's, the critical response to the game, and how it all comes together. Sorry for the weird changes in my voice in the Visuals/Sound part - I recorded those in a different room. Timestamps and spoilers warnings below:

• 00:00 Opening
  • 01:14 Overview
  • 07:43 Behind the Scenes
  • 22:25 Gameplay (AD&D and the RTwP System)
  • 38:37 Gameplay (Pacing, Exploration, and World Design)
  • 48:01 Gameplay (The City of Baldur's Gate, Quest Design, Companions)
  • 58:48 Gameplay Summary
  • 01:01:35 Art and Sound (Visuals)
  • 01:13:12 Art and Sound (Sound, Voice Acting and Music)
  • 01:19:48 Different versions of Baldur's Gate
  • 01:26:20 Story and Roleplaying (Story Overview and World Building) MINOR SPOILERS
  • 01:33:51 Story and Roleplaying (The Iron Crisis and The "Problem" with Fantasy) MODERATE SPOILERS
  • 01:37:28 Story and Roleplaying (Dark Dreams and Failed Ambitions) MAJOR SPOILERS
  • 01:45:18 Story and Roleplaying (General Writing and Companions)
  • 01:49:42 Story and Roleplaying (Roleplaying and TSR's Code of Ethics)
  • 01:58:44 Modding
  • 02:13:17 Outro
More information.

Good review, I like the way he dissects the game, it's clear and informative, easy to jump to a part if one is not interested in the whole review (or doesn't want to see spoilers).

People might find this interesting: 10 things you didn't know about Baldur's Gate

Already covered, but always a pleasure to watch :) And it reminds me I saw a few other videos of the same author I'd like to check out!

Lots of retrospectives and reviews on Baldur's Gate at the moment. As I said in this other thread, check Mortismal Gaming for the story parts; I'm not sure it brings him many viewers but he's making a series on both iterations of the game (that I haven't watched).

Ye Old Entertainment has recent reviews of BG and BG2, as well as a few other Infinity games. He's making some good stuff from what I saw.

I'm still hoping NoClip does a documentary or even a Greatest Hit on them, but I know the odds aren't good ;)

Back
Top Bottom