Sekiro - Released on Steam

Not sure how you went 15-30 minutes without saving unless you just stood in place. Dark souls save after just about everything.

It saves every time you get or use souls, use an item, enter the menu, die or kill an enemy, enter a fog gate, pick up an item, exit the game, literally after any action.

I remember dying quite often somewhat early on after a few hours into the game, and then the game loads at a time 10-15 minutes earlier (from when I passed by a save point) so I had to redo what I had done before exploring an area and fighting through enemies. Over and over and over when the area was difficult. I thought I saw this comment from many others who play the game and people have said that the game is for masochists (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I don't enjoy having to repeat an area over and over so I just stopped playing.

Awesome game! Way better than I was expecting!

Just having a jump key in a FromSoftware game is a novelty. Love the new movement and stealth mechanics like the ninja rope, ledge hangs, wall hugs, sneaking in grass, etc. Makes you feel like a super-ninja because no one else has a ninja rope so you own the rooftops. No one has a chance!

The exploration is great, story is the best FS has done, progression is actually good and there is plenty of loot to find including secret combat moves and whole skill trees of new combat styles.

The arm makes up for the lack of other main weapons. It can be a bow or an axe or a spear or a flame and more and has a big upgrade tree as well as a separate skill tree with things like being able to use it in the air while jumping.

Fantastic graphics, sound, performance.

It's quite challenging, but I haven't got stuck on any boss for an unbearable amount of time. When the main path got too hard I went to the memory path and found items that made the main path easier then when that got too hard I went back to the main.

I've cleared the memory now and killed the fire bull and now I'm trying to kill some "7 spears" guy. Shouldn't take too many more tries. :)

Last edited:
As for sekiro, i need to play more to see. Not loving it as much as others though. Combat seems to just be a race to break posture, which feels repetitive to me in a way dark souls never did. Need more time with the game before forming a solid opinion though.

I noticed that a solid hit without breaking posture does minimal damage which is odd given you beat the opponents defense regardless of “posture”. Seems a bit silly. You only do significant damage basically on kill moves. I prefer Dark Souls combat system myself.

I remember dying quite often somewhat early on after a few hours into the game, and then the game loads at a time 10-15 minutes earlier (from when I passed by a save point) so I had to redo what I had done before exploring an area and fighting through enemies. Over and over and over when the area was difficult. I thought I saw this comment from many others who play the game and people have said that the game is for masochists (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I don't enjoy having to repeat an area over and over so I just stopped playing.

Ah, i see what you’re saying. You don’t like the respawn points. It’s true when you die you will respawn at the last bonfire you visited, but everything you’ve done up to the point you died will have saved.

So if you’ve killed an enemy that doesn’t respawn, talked to an npc, killed an npc, visited a store, upgraded items or found items, weapon or armor, etc all that will be saved.

Respawning at a bonfire and then needing to work your way back and retrieve your soul was just a penalty for dying. I like this as it gave the game more tension, but i understand this was a problem for many. On the plus side enemies stayed glued to thier spawn point so it was pretty easy to just run past them so you didn’t have to fight your way back unless you wanted to.

It’s the same way in sekiro.

Well, its not easy game. Not easier then Dark Souls games, at least for me. Im not completely lame when it comes to action games, but I admit, I struggle here. Im owned terribly by the bosses in this game. But Im hooked somehow and need to see whats next. So, I have to hope I will be able to improve my skill while receiving all that quality ass kicking.

Ah, i see what you’re saying. You don’t like the respawn points. It’s true when you die you will respawn at the last bonfire you visited, but everything you’ve done up to the point you died will have saved.

So if you’ve killed an enemy that doesn’t respawn, talked to an npc, killed an npc, visited a store, upgraded items or found items, weapon or armor, etc all that will be saved.

Respawning at a bonfire and then needing to work your way back and retrieve your soul was just a penalty for dying. I like this as it gave the game more tension, but i understand this was a problem for many. On the plus side enemies stayed glued to thier spawn point so it was pretty easy to just run past them so you didn’t have to fight your way back unless you wanted to.

It’s the same way in sekiro.

In Dark Souls 1 I found that I would need to progress from save point A to save point B, die 10-15 minutes in, and then have to go from A to B again. It wasn't optional from what I could see because I had to get to point B to continue playing the game, and so I had to replay the same area point A to B multiple times.

That wasn't anything close to fun for me so I stopped.

I don't mind replaying up to 5 minutes of playing a game multiple times -- or longer if it's a rare boss enemy -- but multiple times replaying the same 15 minutes is out of bounds for me.

One answer people give, which is legit, is to say git good (you didn't say that but I've seen it). In my view I am decent at these games, and I enjoy striving to git good, but not at the expense of having to replay the same 15 minute area over and over.

I'm hoping that in Sekiro the penalty for dying is not nearly as punishing -- having to play the same exact gameplay area for 15 minutes over and over -- but I'll have to read more reviews about that. Otherwise, the game looks like it could be fun.

I noticed that a solid hit without breaking posture does minimal damage which is odd given you beat the opponents defense regardless of “posture”. Seems a bit silly. You only do significant damage basically on kill moves. I prefer Dark Souls combat system myself.

That is very simplified description of quite complex combat system. Not going into details, health and posture is related and has to be approached in different ways with different enemies. Sometimes its impossible to break posture before health is partially decreased. Other times its almost impossible to touch health before breaking the posture. Not to mention numerous skills and attack moves that have different impact on different foes. And this still remain very simplified description.

Loved Dark Souls overall, but always hated rolling mechanic. Rolling around in full armor was really weird. And often was rolling main damage mitigating mechanic. Dont have such problem here.

Anyway, DS and Sekiro are very similar and very different at the same time. I like both.

In Dark Souls 1 I found that I would need to progress from save point A to save point B, die 10-15 minutes in, and then have to go from A to B again. It wasn't optional from what I could see because I had to get to point B to continue playing the game, and so I had to replay the same area point A to B multiple times.

That wasn't anything close to fun for me so I stopped.

I don't mind replaying up to 5 minutes of playing a game multiple times -- or longer if it's a rare boss enemy -- but multiple times replaying the same 15 minutes is out of bounds for me.

One answer people give, which is legit, is to say git good (you didn't say that but I've seen it). In my view I am decent at these games, and I enjoy striving to git good, but not at the expense of having to replay the same 15 minute area over and over.

I'm hoping that in Sekiro the penalty for dying is not nearly as punishing -- having to play the same exact gameplay area for 15 minutes over and over -- but I'll have to read more reviews about that. Otherwise, the game looks like it could be fun.

I understand, if that’s the case I’d recommend a hard pass on this game for you as the difficulty is as such that you will be dying a lot and replaying areas.

It no longer misses. As soon as a product requires a bit of training, that basic limited skillsets do not transfer, the product is tough, gritty, difficult. Same crowd that discovered pattern based gameplay with DS.

Of course, at the end of the day, product is so difficult players finish it because a product must be conquered. This is how difficulty is measured, when below than average players finish a product, it must be difficult.

I'm worried about this too. Looks like a good game but I'm getting old and I don't know if my hand-eye coordination will allow me to get very far. As much as I love the souls games there are a few bosses in DS3 on the 2nd expansion that I could never beat without help from another human player… this game looks like I'd need help with everything and there's no multiplayer (as far as I can tell) so I wonder if I'd get stuck early on.

Skills left untrained degrade over time and no, playing stuff like TW3 does not count.

Back
Top Bottom