RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2014 - Best RPG

Yea, it feels we voted "the list of best Kickstarter games" in 2014. :D

We're all entitled to our opinions. And overall I approve of this list, even if I disagree with the order and have zero interest in a grindy, console style action RPG like Dark Souls.. but FFS people, Dragon Age: Inquisition at number 3? Ugh. Now the optimistic side of me almost wants to play the game to see if it is not as mediocre as I have come to expect from Bioware. And the more realistic part of me is just ashamed of those of you who have been taken in by the pretty graphics to the point where you can overlook all of the filler content I've heard this game has... and what I expect is a clunky MMO-like battle system.

Last edited:
Well, to a certain extent I really do the filler content because of the great visuals. I enjoy to just walk around finding beautiful places doing screenshots. Never before have I done this in a game to this extent.

While I would like to have less filler content and more meaty stuff as well, the game is still fun for me. It's not a 10/10 of course. But none of last year's games was a 10/10 (for me).

Last edited:
Zloth;106129785 I've been avoiding Dragonfall just because it was an expansion to Shadowrun which didn't get such good reviews. I just looked on Steam said:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/[/url]

You should absolutely play Dragonfall DC; it is the Game of the Year (Hell, or century)in my not so humble opinion. But Shadowrun Returns is still worth playing afterwards if you like DF. "Dead Man's Switch" is more linear and shorter than Dragonfall DC, but still has a decent story and captures the Shadowrun atmosphere well. It's just that people had insanely high expectations and a lot of people don't realize that the amount of money raised (which was considerably less after fees really isn't all that much for developing an RPG. Also a lot of the reviews for Returns criticized the limited save system, which was later fixed in a patch. I'd give SRR a 7.5 and Dragonfall a 9.9.

daveyd, put fancy graphics aside (not that having visuals is some negative thing).
IMO the main story and main quests are top notch material, a certain one of those is absolute masterpiece (the one with dancing, just not in the moonlight).
But the sidecontent, sidequests that are not Biowareish but rather some noname companylike filler? It's… Not mediocre, it's worse than mediocre design. I just couldn't believe it. The reason I'm not replaying the game is that annoying filler, I just can't put myself through that crap again.

Play the game. I've written elsewhere, get the game with at least 25% off, standard version, not DLC version. It's worth one (detailed!) runthrough.
Is it worth the third place on the list of best games? Again IMO, it's not, but that's just my own taste. There are better games I've played last year and DA3 is not in my personal top 3.
Is it worth being in top 10? For the sakes of it's c&c awsome design, it definetly deserves to be among top ten.

And I'll agree with Morrandir. No game I played last year was 10/10 to me. But then again, I didn't play Grimrock2 yet, maybe it is…
Don't bother to suggest me Shadowrun, I don't want phonegames on my PC. ;)

Decent enough winners, but Shadowrun: Dragonfall deserved at least third. Great example of a developer learning from their mistakes, stepping up their game, and delivering a very solid RPG. My personal RPGOTY, but I do tend to favor story & writing over other elements of an RPG.
You're really missing out due to a silly prejudice, but hey, your loss. Please note that the devs have realized PC should be their main platform and said this on their new Hong Kong Kickstarter:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong is being developed for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems only. We have elected to focus all our efforts on PC in order to deliver the best game we can without the current processing and memory limitations of tablets.

Now the optimistic side of me almost wants to play the game to see if it is not as mediocre as I have come to expect from Bioware.

This is me as well. I only could get though about 1/2 of the first DA game so I never even considered playing DA:I but the way people are talking I am a bit tempted. If Joxer recommends it that highly it must be worth a try right? :biggrin:

I'm not as disappointed as you that DA:I got 3rd though. To each there own. I was hoping that Xulima would sneak into the top 3 and it seemed it might based on the comment thread. But regardless of the top 3, it is a great top 10 and was a good year for RPG's.

if you didn't get to the sex scene, you missed on the funniest thing I've seen in the last 10 years or so.
I got as far as the town meeting where I had to meet Randy in the bathroom. We were finally getting somewhere story-wise, but it of course made me go fetch more stuff and come back. Final straw. So no sex scene for me...

Can´t say I´ve been exactly thrilled with some of the ranked games, but regardless this is a neat top 10 nicely showcasing the diversity the genre has been graced with last year :).
Hopefully this year´s assortment of cRPGs will end up being at least just as eclectic.

You would love Dragonfall. You'd rate ist 8/10 at least.

Ah, Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 on the top of the list. My faith in RPG Watch continues! :clap:

daveyd, put fancy graphics aside (not that having visuals is some negative thing).
IMO the main story and main quests are top notch material, a certain one of those is absolute masterpiece (the one with dancing, just not in the moonlight).
But the sidecontent, sidequests that are not Biowareish but rather some noname companylike filler? It's… Not mediocre, it's worse than mediocre design. I just couldn't believe it. The reason I'm not replaying the game is that annoying filler, I just can't put myself through that crap again.

Play the game. I've written elsewhere, get the game with at least 25% off, standard version, not DLC version. It's worth one (detailed!) runthrough.
Is it worth the third place on the list of best games? Again IMO, it's not, but that's just my own taste. There are better games I've played last year and DA3 is not in my personal top 3.
Is it worth being in top 10? For the sakes of it's c&c awsome design, it definetly deserves to be among top ten.

And I'll agree with Morrandir. No game I played last year was 10/10 to me. But then again, I didn't play Grimrock2 yet, maybe it is…

Tell you what I'll play DA: I, if you play Shadowrun: Dragonfall. It may run on high end tablets, but that doesn't make it a phone game:There's no microtransactions. No grinding. No respawning enemies. None of the stuff you usually criticize games for.

I can understand your general avoidance of PC games that were designed with actual mobile games, as most of them are terrible. But in this case it's just an indie PC game that was eventually ported to tablets. And as it is porting it proved to be so much work that Harebrained Schemes decided that SR: Hong Kong would be a PC exclusive. Sure the graphics aren't comparable to AAA, but the gameplay is better than most.

glad to see Might & Magic X placed 5th. really great gem that i hope someday gets a XI...

I've only played DAI and DS2 on the list. I did put an hour or so into D:OS and MMX but not enough time to form any opinion.

I will play D:OS after the big patch coming. As I said didn't play wasteland 2. dAI's combat is so bad and boring I can't believe it gets such praise but that's just my opinion.

Of the games I played significantly this year I'd rank them as such:

1. Lords of the fallen
2. DS2
3. Shadows of Mordor
4. Blackguards
5. Mars: war logs
6. Watchdogs

Looking at my list maybe I no longer fit in with the RPGWatch demographic.:(

D:OS winning was pretty much guaranteed, as I speculated earlier. But I am surprised to find DA:I on the list at all, given the latest trend of hating anything related to Bioware here.
But I am glad to find the bug-ridden, ugly looking, and boring excuse of a game called Dead State isn't anywhere in the top list. Not even in the top 10 over at Codex too. A fitting reward for the abusive developers. :)

D:OS winning was pretty much guaranteed, as I speculated earlier. But I am surprised to find DA:I on the list at all, given the latest trend of hating anything related to Bioware here.
But I am glad to find the bug-ridden, ugly looking, and boring excuse of a game called Dead State isn't anywhere in the top list. Not even in the top 10 over at Codex too. A fitting reward for the abusive developers. :)

Let Alone Jagged Alliance Flashback. ^^

But I am surprised to find DA:I on the list at all, given the latest trend of hating anything related to Bioware here.
Don't underestimate the quiet majority. ;)

I've not noticed anything quiet about people playing DA:I on this site, quite the reverse, seems like most everyone played it and it didn't have the same level of back-lash as DA2. It was a relatively polished product that supplied the God complex in a pleasing environment with good music and plenty of sexual teasing. I didn't notice anyone round here getting vastly fanatical in disgust but I saw lots of people talking through the game, I was surprised it didn't rank higher. That it only came third actually increased my respect of the Watch to be somewhat objective.

Back
Top Bottom