Dragon Age 2 - Afterthoughts Interview @ 1Up

Wasn't this the case of Mass Effect, too? All side-quest have taken place in the same damn ship - I kept thinking: "I've already cleared this place, didn't I?"

Yes, it was. In fact, all BioWare games have re-used dungeons/caves/etc to some degree.

The main difference is that DA2 is more "packed" - it's such a tight game. Combat, talking, combat, talking. You move from one cave to another in seconds without spending any time exploring, checking your inventory, and so on. The end result is that you can actually exit cave A at 19:22 and then enter cave B at 19:23 where cave A and cave B are identical.

Overall, the feeling of deja vu becomes far stronger in DA2 than other BW titles due to the pace and how tight the game is.

Wasn't this the case of Mass Effect, too? All side-quest have taken place in the same damn ship - I kept thinking: "I've already cleared this place, didn't I?"

Yes, but main quests all had unique locations… not the case in DA2. Also in Mass Effect it made more sense for there to be a standard space room, most space tents would look the same roughly. In DA2 every cave or sewer or mansion is exactly the same inside, which makes much less sense.

Honestly what bothers me is more the city. There are three main sections of Kirkwall and you walk around in them over and over and over again. Each is about the size of Denerim's market, so imagine the entire town experience being three Denerim markets.

In the 4players (I think it was) review, the reviewer also states that there is no "progress" in the buildings of the town … no signs of decay or of embellishment … no people try to change their houses … and no signs of the town - as it was said to be - overcrowded with refugees … That's what the reviewer wrote.

In the 4players (I think it was) review, the reviewer also states that there is no "progress" in the buildings of the town … no signs of decay or of embellishment … no people try to change their houses … and no signs of the town - as it was said to be - overcrowded with refugees … That's what the reviewer wrote.

It's true. There are very minor things like flags changing and the main character's house moving, but the city is 95% the same in every "era." Same shops in the same places, all your companions hang out in the same places, same boats at the docks, even the same NPCs walking around and muttering the same things ("I've been waiting here for ages to see the Viscount!").

Honestly the 3 year jumps between each act make little sense anyway, if you changed every single dialogue about 3 years to 3 weeks the game would not only still make sense, but probably make more sense. I have a feeling the "10 year narrative" was used as a selling point for the box.

I have a feeling the "10 year narrative" was used as a selling point for the box.

It's either that, or perhaps the writers intended on making the 10 year time span a bigger part of the story and simply didn't have the time to properly flesh it out.

Mike explains the framed narrative here:

1UP: Having experimented with a framed narrative, any interest in trying it again down the road? Is there anything you would want to change about your approach?

ML: I think ultimately, the framed narrative does a very good job of two things: one, it tells the story in a different way, and that was something we consciously wanted to do with Dragon Age 2 — which was to set out and not do the traditional rehash; we didn't want to just do the Origin story all over again, and two, to not tell the "classic fantasy story" with the big bad looming over the hill that you can sort of see and then target.

And he also asks this intriguing question - is it true or is Varric make things up - or embellishing things:

But it adds a layer of meta-storytelling; are there other elements that Varric [the narrator] is exaggerating that we don't get called out on? It creates a layer of thought that lingers with you after it's done, and makes you go, "well, what's next? How much of that was real?

This is something, you'll need to take into account when playing the game. However, from what I can understand, Bioware wanted to tell the story of Hawke's rise to power, from the man or woman to the legend. Then tell this story, and tell it as good as possible. And be honest about it. I, and many others would have had no problem, if Bioware have said this: "For DA2, we want to tell a story about a human, man or woman, and his or her rise to power. This has some, or major effect, on gameplay.
There will be fixed ending this time (just like in adventure games like Syberia) because we want to develop the DA world a certain way. And oh, yes, your followers belong to us, not you. You'll still have followers, but they'll 1) do their own thing when not in your party and 2) when they're in your party, you'll have limited control over them - just like in Neverwinter Nigts. For story reasons of course - since we want to tell this story." Or Bioware could have made the followers temporarily follow you - so that they fitted to the story they would like to tell.

And it is 10 years: Varric's tale takes place after 10 years has passed, e.g. ten years after Hawke's fleeing of Lothering. Interestingly, Mikes take on the Dragon Age world is this:

And one thing that, in my mind, sets Dragon Age apart from what Mass Effect is doing — not in a bad or good way, but just "different" — is that we look to Dragon Age as being about the world, and the characters, places, times, and events that affect that world. As opposed to a singular character, who in Shepard's case, dropkicks his world — which is great.

I don't think this was advertised enough or made clear to people when they released DA: Origins.

And then there's also this comment:

And specifically, what we wanted to do was, as lead writer David Gaider comments, "kick over the sandcastle." The endstate of Origins was that the world had been saved: "good job, we stopped the Blight, and we're good now, right? Everything good, right?"

I think Bioware set out to do another game similar to Planescape Torment in which player's expectation were turned completely upside down for what to expect next.
Sadly, it seems that Bioware do not have the creative talents of the defunct Interplay, current forming the bulk of Obsidian developers.

And 7 years to wait to see the Viscount, gee, seems like a long time ;) Maybe Bioware need to talk to Bethesda about how to create a changing world, or maybe talk a bit with CD Project. I mean, even in Witcher 1, the game content changes (buildings are burned down at the end of Chapter One, Kalkstein the alchemist moves from outside to Vizima to inside Vizima and other stuff to the same effect…) a great deal. It is also interesting how much CD Project did get out of the Aurora engine that they licensed from Bioware…

I do get that people are tired of seeing the same areas over and over again, but how is the story? And it is all true - or is Varric telling the truth, or maybe holding something back or is he putting weight on certain things and not others? It is, Varric, an unreliable narrator, that tells this tale.

The question I'm asking is this: Is the story any good at all? Is it designed well?

Last edited:
They wouldn't need to ditch the framed narrative to have a more sensible time frame. Varric could just as easily tell the tall of the 3 months in Kirkwall that changed the world, rather than the 10 years.

As for the story, like I said elsewhere the overall plot is very good and has a lot of potential, but the choices are almost non-existent and Hawke's family stuff is kind of boring. If you don't care about having choices or playing a character you design then you would probably like it.

he question I'm asking is this: Is the story any good at all? Is it designed well?

o_O I think you will get some variety on a question like that as I have seen people slam the story as trite, cliche and unoriginal while other rave about how awesome it was.

For me it was what saved the game and I thought it was awesome :)

Things like the wheel, VO for Hawke, content (reused), and some other things were negatives. But I got sucked right into the entire story (including the aimless chapter one which I loved as it was just like I was living out my life in the city as my character) and the companions.

So mileage will vary.

Back
Top Bottom