Luke Skywalker builds his own Lightsabre

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
lol - what a clip. all those screaming fans. is this the equivalent of kissing a girl to them?

lol call me sw nerd if you like, but thats seriously cool. I wish they had included it in the dvd box release.. I'm not going rebuy the entire trilogy just because of one restored scene.

This single scene - as weird as it might look like - is like finding The Movement by Genesis (which happened a few years ago), or like … releasing a recorded, but never released album by the Beatles. Or the release of The Sicilian Defense by The Alan Parsons Project, which was an album about Chess.

It's a fan-thing, essentially, but this scene is very, very important to Star Wars Fandom.

Doesn't the Sicilian defence have something to do with making a person an offer they can't refuse? :)

the Sicilian is really a counter attack. My favourite line is the Dragon variation but I have a tough time against the Najdorf. On occaision I've been told that I shouldn't play it unless I (really, really) knew it. I tend to tell those people to shut up and argue my record. They aren't too pleased by that statement and tend to get pretty heated in spite of the fact that they usually just won (in chess, its considered very rude to gloat).

One of chess' great ironies was the Fischer-Taimonov match in Vancouver where Fischer sweeps the man as white against Taimonov's own signature opening. Its likely at the time Bobby knew it even better than Viktor did.

Also a Sicilian is likely to have anchovies. Not the best thing to put on a pizza.

The point is that The Sicilian Defense was really recorded, but remains unreleased (and most probably will so) for the rest of time.
This album was the point of kind of an legal debate between the record company (Arista) and The Alan Parsons Project. TSD was meant to be "crap", a consciously made poor recording, which was actually never meant to be released by the Project.

Quotation from Wikipedia :

In 1981,[4] Parsons, Woolfson and their record label Arista, were stalled in contract renegotiations when on 5 March the two submitted an all-instrumental atonal album tentatively titled 'The Sicilian Defence' (the name of an aggressive opening move in chess), arguably to get out of their recording contract. Arista's refusal to release the album had two known effects: the negotiations led to a renewed contract and the album was never released.
"The Sicilian Defense was our attempt at quickly fulfilling our contractual obligation after I Robot, Pyramid and Eve had been delivered. The album was rejected by Arista, not surprisingly, and we then renegotiated our deal for the future and the next album, The Turn of a Friendly Card. The Sicilian Defense album was never released and never will be, if I have anything to do with it. I have not heard it since it was finished. I hope the tapes no longer exist."
—Alan Parsons[5]

These tapes actually DO exist - which is kind of a fan's dream come true. However, assumed that the album's quality is as bad as it is described by the both heads of the Project, it might be better to let the tapes be there where they are now.

About The Movement : This is a fan name of what is rather officially known as "Genesis plays Jackson".

Quote from Wikipedia:

These four tracks recorded 9 January 1970, for a BBC documentary about painter Michael Jackson which never aired.

Unless a very, very few of really hardcore fans, nobody ever knew of these tapes to be actually in existence - and the tapes were thought to be lost, because this documentation actually never went to the public.

These tapes were more myth than reality.

Until the mids of the last decade, wherein these tapes suddenly appeared, and someone wanted to have money for them. For the band members themselves this was kind of a "million dollar hit", because they themselves strongly believed that these tapes had been ultimatively lost (sorry for exaggerating a bit, it's just my writing style ;) ). Luckily for both fans & band members, these tapes were bought - but everyone suggests that this might have been expensive. Some people know how to exploit riches.

Quote from a Genesis-related site, from an interview with Anthony Philips, one of the earliest member of Genesis :

WOG: There has been a great deal of controversy recently over the “lost” Genesis Plays Jackson tapes from that period…

AP: I know about it, yeah. You probably know more about it than me… Do you know what’s happened? (laughs)

WOG: I know that the person who possesses the tape got the reel from a friend who’s father apparently, at one time, had some connection to the BBC. A number of tapes were being thrown out and he grabbed a bunch of them, not knowing what he had.

Years later when it was discovered, this person created a website and attempted to auction the reel tape off to the highest bidder…

AP: Yes, I know that much…

WOG: Last I heard, the auction site had been taken down, and I believe there was an interview somewhere with Tony Banks talking about how they were in discussion with this person. I was under the impression that the band was in negotiation to get the tape back either legally or through compensation to that person. I was wondering if you had any news you could share …

AP: No, I’m not aware of what’s happened. I have my views about it, but I don’t have any news about it (laughs).

WOG: What are your thoughts on it?

AP: Well, it gets a bit technical. The fact is, it’s like a painter painting something, isn’t it? He hasn’t paid any money for it…
WOG: I noticed that a lot of the artwork has changed with the various re-prints…

AP: Yeah, they have changed a few things. I think, not put too fine a point on it, I think their budgets aren’t enormous. So, the whole operation is about keeping CDs available, rather than being able to do things to a clearly fantastic level of quality and promotion stuff. I think a lot of us are just grateful for any company that decides to put a bit of energy and time into keeping the stuff out there. So, if people want to get a hold of them they can. We’ve heard so many horror stories over here (in Europe) of major artists that we’ve loved in the past, not being able to get (recording) deals with majors (major record labels). One knows how difficult it is, in the current market, to get any kind of promotion and backing… certainly (radio) airplay as well. So, yeah, I’ve been fairly involved.
If the painting gets lost… Well, it’s the person’s property that painted it, surly! Just as this is our music! Probably, what it is in this case is a copy, but I really don’t see what gives him right if he’s paid nothing for those (songs) in the first place… What gives him the right to demand money for something that actually isn’t his work?!

WOG: I do believe that it is actually the original reel tape, because the picture on the website showed original handwritten notes explaining the pieces. So, I do think it’s probably an original…

AP: I don’t believe that if he’s come into the possession of unreleased Genesis tapes that they are his. Its unreleased material. I don’t see on what level he can maintain that they belong to him. In what way do they belong to him?

He didn’t pay for the sessions, he didn’t own rights to the music, he simply has something that has come into his possession by coincidence, really, which happens to belong to somebody else. It’s a bit like coming across somebody’s jewelry in the road. It’s a finder’s keepers attitude, but I don’t think he’s got a right to auction it.

And about "lost Beatles songs" … Well, everyone knows about that … ;)

It's a fan-thing, essentially, but this scene is very, very important to Star Wars Fandom.

Indeed. Its really something we fans have waited years. I can't belive they CUT something like this from the orginal film. Luke building his own saber has a great symbolism..the end of long journey.

... And everyone knew it was in from the beginning on. Because it's in the movie's novel ...

I don't get it.

I'm a Star Wars fan myself, but I just don't get what the fuss is about. I mean, we all saw the hand and saber go over the edge in the end of "The Empire Strikes Back" so we KNEW that Luke would have to make another ... a 30 seconds film clip showing what we already knew had happened can't make me go screaming bananas. Sorry.

The point is that this scene was always more myth than reality. As un-real as it gets.
Kind of a secret, hidden from everyone.

And by the way, have you ever heard the audiences "go screaming bananas" meanwhile Beatles concerts ? ;)

ol call me sw nerd if you like, but thats seriously cool. I wish they had included it in the dvd box release.. I'm not going rebuy the entire trilogy just because of one restored scene.

The funny thing is I guess there are not that few people who will rebuy just because of that scene....... meanwhile people are starving... what a world we live in...

Yeah, a world where people spend a fortune on computer RPGs and even build whole websites around them instead of saving the world. It's terrible!

People will rebuy Star Wars no matter what they do to it.

Still, I suppose a nearly worthless scene is better than no scene.

(tongue firmly in cheek)@GG and GBG

We even have people who have the audacity to make games themselves rather than go out and get a 2nd job, if they have a first one, to earn money for the hungry. How insensitive! Think of all the time the people will spend posting about this game, play testing the game, perhaps even purcha$ing the game with money that could feed the hungry. Have you no shame?

A few more bits & pieces have been released : http://www.starwars.com/video/view/001267.html

This looks more and more interesting ... Why didn't they do it for an DVD release ? In 10 years everyone's regard that as "normal" ...

Back
Top Bottom