Kickstarter Games - New Fear Effect announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame found out that a new Fear Effect game is in development:

New Fear Effect announced

Indie developer takes to Kickstarter - with Square Enix's blessing.

A new Fear Effect game is set to take to Kickstarter - with Square Enix's blessing.

But this new Fear Effect won't be a big budget affair - as Fear Effect on PSone was. Instead, it'll be an indie game from a little-known studio that's using crowdfunding to raise development cash.

French studio Sushee worked with Square Enix's The Collective two years ago on adventure game Goetia. After the publisher signalled it was open to pitches for new games set in its back catalogue of dormant franchises, it worked on a Fear Effect prototype heavily influenced by Shadowrun Returns. Square Enix liked the pitch and gave the thumbs up to a Kickstarter for Fear Effect Sedna, which is set to launch Tuesday, 12th April.

[...]
More information.

For a moment, I was mistaking Fear Effect by Cold Fear :p

Then I googled Fear Effect to find out which game the article talks about! And I did find out I never played it.

Last edited:
I personally though it was a parody of Mass Effect and I was puzzled why Square had rights to that.

I thought it was a Mass Effect parody as well…
I googled the original and it sounds too actiony for my tastes. I didn't see anything RPGish in it.
They reference Shadowrun in relation to the new one. Well, I guess it has the same perspective and graphics style. But I doubt it will be TB combat, and its not clear whether there will be character stats etc (or even character creation - the original Fear Effect looks like it had a roster of premade action characters to pick from….)
So yeah. It's clearly a labour of love for the devs and I wish them well, but I don't reckon I'll be backing this.

Thanks for the good news! I loved Fear Effect on the PS1 however they did have more in common with Resident Evil than they ever did with any RPG. I imagine it will be more like Valkyria Chronicles in that the playable characters are all premade, however you will be able to change their loadout and such.

I personally though it was a parody of Mass Effect and I was puzzled why Square had rights to that.

Square Enix merged (or bought) with Eidos who had the rights to fear effect. Its why Square Enix publishes the Tomb Raider games.

Fear Effect is probably initial reaction of EA directors when someone tries to pitch them TB game. :)

They reference Shadowrun in relation to the new one. Well, I guess it has the same perspective and graphics style. But I doubt it will be TB combat, and its not clear whether there will be character stats etc (or even character creation

Well, you will be pleasantly surprised, because the game should be tactical isometric game with TB combat in style of Shadowrun:

Being inspired by Shadowrun Returns, Sedna features an isometric camera with turn-based combat where you control up to five characters at the same time.
Fear Effect Sedna will release in 2017, should its Kickstarter succeed.

I stand happily corrected!

Back
Top Bottom