"Games as a service" is fraud

Ready to see EA sweat?
PC Gamer mentioned it, too.

My nickel is betting the ESA will pitch a fit, it won't work, and the ESA will just add the loot boxes to things that can generate an "M" rating. And that will be the end of it.

That's pretty much how the ESRB ratings started up in the first place.

PC Gamer mentioned it, too.

My nickel is betting the ESA will pitch a fit, it won't work, and the ESA will just add the loot boxes to things that can generate an "M" rating. And that will be the end of it.

That's pretty much how the ESRB ratings started up in the first place.

True but a lot of the audience for these live service games are under 18. Could be that there is some liability for these guys if that is not addressed in such a way as to prevent that happening.

M? It shouldn't be lower than Ao.
That would be the whole 'compromise' thing. An AO rating is almost a ban. If the government pushes for AO, there's going to be a ton of money lost so the industry will fight HARD in the courts and will try to skirt whatever definitions the courts lay down. Despite M being pretty easy for an older kid to dodge, it should still keep the really young crowd away and I think the cooler heads in the industry will be able to explain to the hotter heads that fighting to allow 10 year old kids to gamble in this way would be terrible public relations.

I didn't listen to the video not enough time right now but I'm concern about the premise that games have to be a good and can't be a service which from your texture outline below is the meat of the argument. I guess part of the question is does IP have to be a good or can IP be applied as a service ? Perhaps if I listen to the video I would either agree or see a stronger objection to his commentary but that will have to wait another month.

An interesting video with a good argument.

The most comprehensive video on "games as a service" and why it's fraud that you're likely to see. WARNING: This is more boring than my usual videos.
This was created as the beginning of an effort to get law authorities to examine this practice. Feel free to contact me about this topic. Contents below:
2:45 Definition
8:09 Goods and Services
9:52 Legal argument: Games are goods
17:08 Legal argument: Ownership of goods
24:24 Legal argument: Programmed Obsolescence
31:21 Intermission
31:51 Conceptual Argument on games being services
42:23 Preservation Argument on games being services
47:31 Counterarguments & Concerns
1:10:00 Ending + Plan of what to do

Back
Top Bottom