Gothic 3 PC Gamer 49%?

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Someone over at tweakguides said G3 got a shellacking in PC Gamer - 49%.

Based on an old gold disk. Too bad they published the score at all - its a huge magazine and that will hopelessly damage the US market for this thing.

Bummer - they were huge supporters of G2.

It's very sad, Gothic 3 is a great game if you can deal with the bugs.

They gave Dungeon Lords a 47% if I recall.

Can you guess how many people will glance at the big "49%" and not even read the commentary? Its very unfortunate. They have the biggest exposure by far. On the upside, nobody will be complaining about the control scheme!!! LOL

Maybe the US version, not PC Gamer UK... I think here they gave it 71% based on the original gold version but said they'd add about 15% if the bugs were fixed...

I could be mis-remembering, but I'm pretty sure. NWN2 got 90-odd and Medieval II 94, I think. Not a bad month :)

Did they write something about bugs in NWN2? Gamestar said it´s buggy as hell.

NWN2 is like Oblivion and Half-Life 2. Magazines will give them great scores regardless of it's problems.

G3 got 4/10 in GamesTM (UK mag), but if you read the review it actually comes off sounding a lot better, it appears the reviewer wanted to enjoy it but got really frustrated with the bugs.

Problem is the review copies they were sending out, which were in an even worse state than the final code.

I do not think the magazines are bribed, but the reviewers are often as hyped as the rest when it comes to new games and therefore they do not really test the game for what what it have to offer, but what the first two hours in it had to offer. I found Half-Life 2 a good entertainment for a day or two but the engine was dated, the gameplay repetitive and painfully linear, yet it's reviewed as the best game ever made.

Its pretty clear US sales are going to suck hard. Jowood must have been out of their minds releasing a disk worse than this retail release to reviewers. Talk about asking for it.

My question is - *how* could there be a review of the US version when the US version isn't even 'gold' yet? (rhetorical question, I know)

It´s gold. v1.08.

PC Gamer´s official page doesn´t list a G3 review in their Dec issue though.

Its pretty clear US sales are going to suck hard. Jowood must have been out of their minds releasing a disk worse than this retail release to reviewers. Talk about asking for it.

And you must be out of your mind to think JoWooD could give any review code to a North American publication without getting their ass sued off by Aspyr. ;)

Fine. Aspyr then. Either way its the same disk regardless of the source. So its Aspyr/PB out of their minds.

Doesnt matter. Damage is done.

No there was nothing about bugs in NWN2. It's just about possible I'm confusing PC Zone & PC Gamer, but I don't think so.

No there was nothing about bugs in NWN2. It's just about possible I'm confusing PC Zone & PC Gamer, but I don't think so.

Strange. The Gamestar had a box with colored background explaining bugs they considered serious.

Is there a Scandinavian PC Gamer? The original poster in the linked thread is from Sweden and the tested version was the recalled first gold master.

Damn this sucks :(

Can't say that they couldn't look in the mirror. Is there any point to send a beta version to journalists when even the goldmaster is estimated to be bugged as hell... Seems thay someone from pb/aspyr/jw should take part in a course called: "how do i market my product succesfully?"

And i thought they had learned their lessons by now. I can understand that people and companies make mistakes, but when they don't LEARN from those mistakes..its just stupid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom