NieR: Automata - Review @ Gamerant

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Like many other sites Gamerant likes NieR: Automata:

NieR: Automata Review

When Square Enix and Platinum Games first announced NieR: Automata, a very small but passionate fanbase took note – it was the unexpected sequel to a game in Nier that hadn’t performed particularly well in reviews or financially. Whatever it was, however – and a lot of it can be simplified as Taro Yoko’s combination of brilliant and odd – Nier garnered an unexpected cult following. Despite Nier’s failings, Square Enix evidently believed that the universe was worth exploring once more.

Enter NieR: Automata, a JRPG set in a bleak, post-apocalyptic world where humans have been nearly eradicated by an alien race that let loose an army of destructive machines upon arriving on Earth. NieR: Automata is loosely based on its predecessors, including the Drakengard series, but it is designed to be an enjoyable, engaging experience for players who are entirely new to the NieR universe as well.

[...]

That vision includes less hand-holding than many RPGs provide these days, as side quests take some effort to discover at times and the map is only vaguely helpful, which is explained by a NPC character early as being the result of some atmosphere interference with the mapping satellites. It’s a clever explanation for a system designed to reward exploration and curiosity, and it works magnificently here, even if some of the side quest feel a little cut-and-dry. Those looking for The Witcher 3’s approach to side quests had best look elsewhere.

Ultimately, however, any of the shortcomings present in NieR: Automata are obscured by the haphazard genius of its barely-stitched-together post-apocalyptic world. The presentation, innovation, and unabashed love of the strange all coalesce into something that looks like what would happen if Hideo Kojima attempted to design a Final Fantasy, and as it turns out, it is something that needed to happen. In a year that has already seen huge releases like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn, NieR: Automata has established itself as a must-play title worthy of being in the discussion with the other big titles as a contender for game of the year.

Score: 5/5
More information.

some of the side quest feel a little cut-and-dry. Those looking for The Witcher 3’s approach to side quests had best look elsewhere.
You bet I will.

In a year that has already seen huge releases like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn, NieR: Automata has established itself as a must-play title worthy of being in the discussion with the other big titles as a contender for game of the year.
Erm, what now. Dry sidequests, but 5/5 mustplay and GOTY after a suggestion to look elsewhere?

Bad review. Baaaaaaaaad.

I've laughed so hard at the trailer :D what a ridiculous, over-the-top style

I've laughed so hard at the trailer :D what a ridiculous, over-the-top style

Over the top can be fun too. This is why I love Quentin Tarantino movies! I might try this game at some point as it looks interesting to me :)

But.

Repulsed and curious at the same time. Not good.

Stop staring. Achievement unlocked. Oops. Silly JRPGs.

tumblr_olsp1e1Ng81rs6g2ro5_1280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom