The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

New producer's letter, detailing very little. Of note is that there will be two more updates this year, with Monk and Favored Soul getting updates and one F2P quest. Beyond that, there's mention of bringing Ravenloft in hopefully next year, Night Revels being updated, and next year's anniversary event poll between Kobolds and Dragons. Either way, I expect Kobolds.

Code:
I hope you've been enjoying Against the Slave Lords, checking out our new Cannith Crafting update, and helping us celebrate a decade of DDO! I'm writing today to talk about our plans for the rest of the year and beyond.

Our goal is to release two updates before the end of the year. One of the updates will be larger, the other smaller, and combined they'll bring several things that players have long asked for to DDO. Since we are currently working on two updates, it isn't clear yet what will be in each update. We'll release things when they are ready, so if something isn't ready in time for next month, we'll see if we can finalize it for the following update in December.

Here's the list of Things We’re Working On:

~ Updated Night Revels event: First up, we’re working on an update to The Night Revels, our Halloween-themed event which debuted last year. We’re planning to add a couple of new quests along with a handful of new items that will focus on cosmetic fun. We’re expecting the updated Night Revels to debut later in October.

~ A new Questing hub: We've long wanted to help people figure out where to go and what to do when they come back to DDO from some time away, and this hub will help both them as well as anyone who'd like to get to quest entrances more quickly. We don't have a name for this new system yet, and we'll be talking a lot more about it in the coming weeks.

~ World Character Transfers: We've heard from many of you that our process to transfer characters from one world to another needs to be more intuitive and take less time. Our new launcher-based system will send a character or characters from one world to another in seconds, and players will be able to pay for their transfers directly with Turbine Points. We think you'll like this transfer system, which is already in place in our sister game Lord of the Rings Online. Expect to see it debut by the end of the year.

~ Deity feats: We’ll be adding new Deities that players can follow, and new feats that can be unlocked by players who find favor with their deity of choice.

~ A new free dungeon: We’re expecting to release a new free dungeon in December that we think fans of A Study in Sable will enjoy. This quest sends adventurers to a popular type of pen and paper location that hasn’t had much representation in DDO. I’d say more, but I don’t want to spoil it.

~Character Bank Storage: We’re working to take the user interface used for your Shared Account Bank and Crafting Storage and bring it to your personal character bank. Besides an improved look and functionality, this change will allow us to offer additional character bank storage space in the future.

~ Monks and Favored Soul updates: Continuing our class work, you can expect an overhaul of handwraps in addition to updated enhancement trees for both classes.

Looking beyond 2016, we know many of you have been hearing the rumors and teases about Ravenloft, so let's talk Strahd. We're 100% interested in bringing Ravenloft to DDO, and are working through the process to make it happen. We don't have an exact time frame in mind, although our current plan has it coming to DDO sometime towards the end of 2017. We can't wait to bring one of the most popular and classic adventures in Dungeons & Dragons history to the game.

We’re also planning for our 11th anniversary in late February! We’re hoping to debut a new playable race for the anniversary along with some new adventuring. We’ve been asking you whether you’d like to play a kobold or dragonborn, and while the final decision hasn’t been made, it looks like many of you would enjoy the dragonborn, so we’ll see what the anniversary brings.

It remains an honor to be your Executive Producer, and I'll be back later this year to look ahead to 2017. Until next time, may the loot gods smile on you.

~ Sev

Going to a soccer game. Might be showing up at the last minute but I will be there.

Expect to be there, but don't know how long I'll last. Pretty beat tonight.

Due to unforseen circumstances, I will be unable to join you for this week's session. Sorry.

New Cannith Crafting Planner & Collectibles Farming Guide

A couple of interesting pages for the new Cannith Crafting:

How to farm the new collectibles efficiently

New Cannith Crafting Planner (Beta)

Edit:

Based on the crafting planner, it appears augment slots can be added. Not sure how that works, assuming it really does. & not sure if they're a permanent addition (as in if they go away if you docon it).

Last edited:
I'm iffy for tomorrow

FYI, I'm having a medical procedure tomorrow that may make me very iffy for tomorrow night. TBD. I will try & get on TS close to our start time to let you know, but have no idea how I'll be feeling.

I will be travelling tomorrow and won't be able to play, but hopefully that will be the last week I miss. Dte emailed me that he also will not be available tomorrow as he has to travel to Detroit.

Behold! monk Update! U33! DOOM!

Code:
Handwraps rewritten as weapons, all existing wraps should convert automatically
Handwraps are now an exotic weapon feat, which is auto-granted to monk level 1
Monk abilities that let unarmed bypass DR now also add DR to handwraps as well
Monk Stances
Crit multiplier has moved from mountain stance to fire stance
Ocean stance increase dodge to 3/6/9/12%
Form Ki moves elemental damage now scales with melee power
Vorpal strike now works with wraps

About time. Ocean Stance might still be uncompetitive, but at least it's not Earth for dps/defense/everything now, but each has advantages (Earth for HP/PRR, Ocean for Dodge/DCs, Wind for Attack Speed/Doublestrike, and Fire for Ki/Crit Multiplier).

Code:
Most additional damage provided by elemental strikes scale with melee power
All finishing moves that are melee attacks deal +1w
Fist of Light +1/2 W now
FOL +4D6 Light damage scales with Melee power
FOL vorpal scales with melee power
Fist of Darkness effects now scale with melee power
Gathering storm now 15%
Shining Star now wis dc based instead of cha
Healing ki now 1d4 per monk level
Moment of clarity bonuses now stack (was insight)

Should make using elemental attacks more useful for something other than finishers at least. I especially like Healing Ki getting upgraded, makes Monk a bit stronger as a support.

Below typos were from the original post I copied from. I quite like Nina Spy, sounds like an interesting book title.
Code:
Nina Spy

New tier 5 called deadly striker, any weapon other than wraps or staff you get +1 competence bonus to crit threat range
Ninja Master now grants +1 competence bonus when centered to crit multiplier when using something other than wraps and quarterstaff
New Tier 2 action boost melee and ranged power
Each Ninjutsu ability now grants +1 hit and damage when centered and not using wraps or staff
Basic ninja training and advanced ninja training now applies to all weapons you are centered with
Ninja poison now scales with melee power
Poison darts now adds 1d8 stacks of ninja poison
Ninja master is now +2 Dex and Wis in addition comp bonus to crit thread and crit multiplier for all weapons other than staff and wraps
Poison exploit now does 1d10+10 per stack
Touch of death scales 200% melee power
Shadow double now 50 % instead of 100% but double duration
Combined stealthy and faster sneak are now 1 AP instead of 2
Subtlety moved to tier 1
Agility moved to where Subtlety was in the tree
Each tier of Ninjutsu now grants a passive to hit and damage with weapons other than wraps and staff
Each tier of Ninjutsu is now 1 AP

Looks like Nina is going to be the Weapons Master of the monk trees. I can see it being strong for a centered Kensai, but IMO they should have put One With the Blade in here as well, for pure Monk weapon users. RL Chinese monks, which form the basis for the DDO version, are quite adept at using an array of weapons, including swords and pole arms.

Code:
Shintao

Elemental Curatives now also grants +1 to hit and damage while centered and unarmed or with handwraps.
Reed in the Wind has been updated to match Kensei's stronger version: Damage is +1/2/3(w), and the cooldown has been reduced to 15 seconds.
Elemental Curatives are now 1AP.
Kukan-do's DC is now Wisdom based.
Iron Skin now works regardless of your chosen stance.
Violence Begets Violence now works regardless of your chosen stance.
To Seek Perfection now gives +4 Wisdom.
Touch the Void Dragon's buffs to Ability Scores now stack with everything.
All bonuses to Core Abilities that previously worked only against Tainted Creatures now work against everything.
Smite Tainted Creatures now works against all creatures, with an extra save needed for Tainted creatures.
Jade Strike now works against all creatures
Tomb of Jade now works against all creatures, with an extra save needed for Tainted creatures.
Rise of the Phoenix and Empty Hand have switched places in the tree. Rise of the Phoenix is no longer tied to Elemental Curatives.
Empty Hand Mastery is now a +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Threat Range and Multiplier when using handwraps.
Meditation of War's bonuses now stack with other effects.

Shintao is now the go-to unarmed tree. And CC tree, with Tomb of Jade working against anything. It's also now cheaper, and the Phoenix thing (raise dead ability) is much easier to obtain. Over-all, nice.

Code:
Henshin Mystic

The package granted with each Core Ability no longer grants Spell Power and Spell Critical; instead they grant an equivalent amount of Melee Power.
Ki Bolt has its damage improved to Per Monk Level, instead of every 2 levels.
Sounding Staff no longer makes Staves implements, and instead provides +2 Ki per hit while wielding a staff, and the Quick Draw Feat.
Serenity's Wisdom bonus is now +4, no longer has Spell Power and Critical bonuses, and grants +25 Melee Power.
Elemental Words do +1(w) and give the enemy +2 stacks of Vulnerability on hit.
Quick Strike cooldown is now 18/15/12.
Void Strike now deals +3(w) damage, and its Force damage now scales with Melee Power.
Mystic Training is now one Action Point per level.
Focus' bonuses to hit and damage now stack with other sources.
Every Light Casts a Shadow is now +2(w), targets get 1d4 negative levels, and all nearby enemies get 1d2 negative levels immediately.

In all three trees, Elemental Ki strikes have been changed. Eagle Claw Attack now applies four stacks, and stacks to 15. Knock on the Sky reduces enemy physical damage by 4% per stack. Unbalancing Strike is now +3(w).

Still a staff tree, but the 'mystic' abilities now run off MP rather than making you equip caster gear. I'm not sure if it's as good as Acrobat as a Staff tree, but it's definitely better than it was. I don't think it'll be a major focus like Nina or Shintao though.

Code:
Epic Destinies:

Grandmaster of Flowers now grants handwrap proficiency in its first Core Ability

Feats:
Stunning Fist now specifically requires Handwraps to use.
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Handwraps has been added. Monks get this proficiency at level 1.
Handwraps have been added to Feats that grant bonuses with Bludgeoning weapons.

Still things that are needed like WIS to Damage and One With the Blade are missing. QP may be still unusable in the highest levels. MRR still capped at 50, so they're defensively weaker.

In addition to the Monk revamp, new deity feats have been added to Clerics, Favored Souls, and DruidsPaladins. Iconics born in the Forgotten Realms will have a different list. Because they suck. This does mean you can beat up Vol in MoD with a worshipper of Vol. I doubt any text will be added to account for the same.

Note that the release notes say druids, but none of the feats are for druids. Maybe a future thing. Also, Helm was misnamed Ellistraee there as well, so there may be more planned/coming.

In Eberron:

Aureon
Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff (so useless)
L6 clicky is +4 WIS, +3 Spell Pen, and bonuses to turn undead for 24s + 6s per religious lore you have. Nice little clicky, good for casters. Peter's already planning an LR/TR!

Olladra
Favored Weapon: sickle (also useless)
L6 clicky is full heal to 1 target, plus 1d6 luck bonus to all stats for 24s +6s/lore. Not bad, side-step from the old Unyielding Sovereignty.

Onatar
Favored Weapon: Warhammer (decent)
L6 Clicky is +3 to tactical feats, +10 MP, rust, fire, and repair spell power, +30 repair amp if Warforged. Not that great.

Blood of Vol
Favored Weapon:rotten smellDagger (useless)
L6 clicky is +4 CON, 100% Fort, +10 to fort saves, MRR/PRR equal to your lore feats for the same duration as the others. Dagger in use gain vampirism, for those of the stabbity persuasions.

By Helm!
Favored Weapon:loud mouthed arrogant paladinsBastich Sword (not bad)
L6 Clicky is being a self-righteous prick+4 WIS, True Seeing, stacking +5 to spot and search, +5 fort save, PRR equal to religious lore feats, and INT set to 0.

Silvanus
Favored Weapon: DarthMaul
L6 Clicky is +4 Natural AC and +2 Critical threat range to mauls. Smash!This is specifically mentioned as stacking.

The other favored weapon feats also got adjusted. Exotic weapons are unchanged, but martial weapons get a bit more mileage out of them, and simple weapons even more.

Favored souls' Angel of Vengeance L18 core got modified on a by-deity basis. Each gives a different no-cost SLA, only one of which is marginally useful, but they are noted as subject to change during the actual FvS pass.

Warlock's Shining Through has been nerfed by 1/3rd.

Last edited:
Guess that means I'll have to find the time to re-spec my Monk!! <<sigh>> SO much to catch up on after several weeks away from home!!!!

I don't think it will be too bad. Looks like most of the changes are under the hood and will only require tweaking enhancements. I don't think pure builds will be affected for the most part. Main thing is that Whirlwind Strike may not function the same for unarmed as it does now, which I can't even tell you what it does because I didn't know it was different for unarmed as it was armed attacks.

Of course, there is a spirited discussion on providing more defence somewhere for Monks, as well as other issues such as poor DCs for most of the special attacks and using WIS for to-hit/damage. Apparently, giving Monks the exact same thing they gave Swashbuckler Bards, Mechanic/Assassin Rogues, Artificers, and EK Wizards is too much.

On a few issues brought up about Monks, a dev, Steelstar, stated that they agree than Monk PRR is too low, and that WIS to-hit and damage is going to a general use tree like Harper. MRR is intentionally being left as a Monk weakness.

I'm iffy for tomorrow's run

I'm going home tomorrow, & depending on how things go, I may be too tired to do anything tomorrow night. TBD.

We played our 19-20's and did a few quests in Eveningstar. All are now 20.

Update 33 hitting today - Allow time to update

Update 33 is hitting today. It includes Mabar & the Monk pass & new Divine deities, & a nerf to the Warlock Shining Through, among other changes. We will be able to trade skill tomes for purified eberron dragonshards again, & randomly-generated items which could not previously be dissolved now can be. They've fixed the gate in Gianthold.

Release notes: Update 33 Release Notes

There were no new issues in the Known Issues list.

Back
Top Bottom