|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Empires - Definitive Edition in February

Default Age of Empires - Definitive Edition in February

January 21st, 2018, 00:02
PCGamesN reports that the Definitive Edition of Age of Empires will be out on February 20:

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will be out in February, closed beta starts this month

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is launching worldwide on February 20.

We’ve been waiting a good while for the remaster of the original Age of Empires, but the end is finally in sight. Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will be out on February 20, and a load more beta testers are being let in to try the game ahead of release.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

January 21st, 2018, 00:02
Since I didn't play the original AoE, I'll be surely getting this one!

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 21st, 2018, 01:33
Was bioshock the only remastered version released to previous owners (on pc) for free ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

January 21st, 2018, 12:49
I remember I had to play more games like Age of Empires in 1997. This was the dark age of crpg's and not many were being released. I hate real time strategy games but AoE's was a fun game at the time.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 21st, 2018, 15:08
Originally Posted by you View Post
Was bioshock the only remastered version released to previous owners (on pc) for free ?
I can't really recall of another game besides Bioshock
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 21st, 2018, 19:03
Exclusively for Windows 10 / Next, for completely arbitrary reasons, likely with some technobabble to make it sound like it's actually for the better.

Limited exclusively to the Miscrosoft store for as long as they possibly can, they hope permanently provided sales don't completely tank as a result.

Of course the Microsoft store will never vanish into the MS garbage dump, taking your list of games with it. They would never do that, not to paying customers/end users (with things like GFWL) or to developers (GFWL, Silverlight…………). This is Microsoft we're talking about, what could go wrong.

Watchtower

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 14:09
I'm still mourning the demise of Windows Live Movie Maker. Would have loved to see 4k support added to this great little editor.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 22nd, 2018, 15:14
Originally Posted by Watchtower View Post
Exclusively for Windows 10 / Next, for completely arbitrary reasons, likely with some technobabble to make it sound like it's actually for the better.

Limited exclusively to the Miscrosoft store for as long as they possibly can, they hope permanently provided sales don't completely tank as a result.

Of course the Microsoft store will never vanish into the MS garbage dump, taking your list of games with it. They would never do that, not to paying customers/end users (with things like GFWL) or to developers (GFWL, Silverlight…………). This is Microsoft we're talking about, what could go wrong.
What????

Then I won't get it, because a) I'm not into MS Store (how many gaming clients we gotta have installed on our PCs???); and b) I'm still using Windows 7 and I have no plans to change the OS in short-term.

Good luck, Microsoft!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 22nd, 2018, 15:16
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
I'm still mourning the demise of Windows Live Movie Maker. Would have loved to see 4k support added to this great little editor.
Have you tried Shotcut? It's quite similar, but with 4K and some more power features.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 15:44
No, but I'll definitely try it. Thanks for the suggestion, @Ripper. I've been using Hitfilm, but it has some significant bugs in important features. I've come up with a workaround for one bug I always hit, but it's time consuming.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 22nd, 2018, 15:59
Is win 10 store still prone to crashes and long outages? Do they still lock away your games not allowing ini. Tweaks, modding or even sli?

I’d love to play this, quantum break and gears of war 4, but I’d rather throw my PC away before turning it in to a glorified Xbox.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 16:05
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
…I’d rather throw my PC away before turning it in to a glorified Xbox.
Hear, hear.

GFWL was atrocious. It would take a hell of a lot for me to trust Microsoft with a PC game purchase again.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 22nd, 2018, 16:10
Unfortunately, I think that is very much what MS has in mind.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 16:48
This would have been interesting if it was Age of Kings being properly remastered this time.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

January 29th, 2018, 05:32
So begins the usual Microsoft dance.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mic…/#post-3793238
Jörg Neumann spoke in our interview about why Age of Empires does not appear on Steam. According to him, this is because Microsoft does not differentiate between shops like "Steam" and "Windows Store", but understands Xbox Live as the actual platform:

"This may be a misunderstanding, the platform is where people play, and people play in the social spaces of Xbox Live, which means that if Xbox Live exists somewhere, we can get a game out there." Unfortunately, there is no solution to doing this on Steam, but it depends less on us than on other people."

Source: gamestar.de

It's very strange that Microsoft blames Valve for not allowing Xbox Live on Steam. Steam has sold many games using Xbox Live before through GFWL, and Valve even allows Ubisoft to sell games using uPlay. What's going on here?
So it's not Microsoft's fault that they deliberately designed something in such a way that it wouldn't work with something else (they've never done that before).

After all it's not as if a chimp with $100 can get a game onto Steam, or that cross platform play is easier than ever.

Have to love the excuses Microsoft keeps coming up with, along with using everything they have as a stick rather than a carrot.

/I am totally not soaked in sarcasm, really.

Watchtower

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Empires - Definitive Edition in February