Interesting links for gamers (Indie games, Abandonware, Mods)

For all Gothic fans:

This is a very good german Gothic 2 - Night of the Raven - mod:

Velaya - Geschichte einer Kriegerin

complete new story
a changed Khorinis
many old friends
some new characters
full speech (german only)
numerous quests in 4 chapters
ca. 40 hours playing time - up to level 24

40 more hours?? Is worth trying for english speakers? Can you disable the german speech? Is the text german only too?

You can play without speech - but the text is german only, too.

I recommend it for players that know at least a little bit of the german language.

Some jokes are hard to understand for non native speakers.

This is NOT a abandonware/freeware discussion thread - maybe an admin could cut out the latest posts and start a new thread with them.

Perhaps we could start a thread discussing the topic of ROM distribution sites in the "Off Topic" forum. I definitely agree that it doesn't belong here.

Knights of the Chalice

Hi there, Knights of the Chalice is a new 2D RPG I'm developing.

It's a blend between Dark Sun Shattered Lands, Temple of Elemental Evil and the graphical style of Ultima VI.

You control a party of four characters created at the beginning. Combat is turn-based and uses many of the open game content rules from Wizards of the Coast.

Read all about it at: www.heroicfantasygames.com.

Good luck, Bluesalamander ! :)

Thank you! I'm working hard to make a fun and hassle-free game!

Looks pretty cool! Quick question, are you programming the engine yourself or using any open source solutions?

I've moved all that ROM and Abandonware discussion to a new thread as suggested!!

Hi there, Knights of the Chalice is a new 2D RPG I'm developing.

It's a blend between Dark Sun Shattered Lands, Temple of Elemental Evil and the graphical style of Ultima VI.

You control a party of four characters created at the beginning. Combat is turn-based and uses many of the open game content rules from Wizards of the Coast.

Read all about it at: www.heroicfantasygames.com.

That looks very good. I especially like the visual style, just like the good old days of VGA gaming. I'll be keeping an eye on your game.

Looks pretty cool! Quick question, are you programming the engine yourself or using any open source solutions?

Thanks. I've programmed most of the engine myself. One thing I have used a lot though is the Jim Adams book Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX. However, the book is more interested in 3D games.

Initially I tried to make the game in 3D but pure 2D is much, much simpler to deal with programmatically.

Is Wizardry 6 considered abandonware? I see Wiz7 is available for download at abandonia.com but not 6.

cheers
Nutman

Ok let go for some links for Citadel: Adventure of the Crystal Keep:

This games is an old Mac game, to make it run:

1 - Downloading Citadel:
  • The download link is just bellow the picture at: Macintosh Garden.
  • It seems to be a cleaner version than another version I found elsewhere.
  • It's a .sit file and can be expand with stuffit, there' s a free extractor for PC like for Mac.
2 - You also need to download the code wheel used as copy protection:
  • The picture you see here: Macintosh Garden, is a part of the code wheel, download it.
  • Then refresh the page and it will show the second part of the code wheel, download it too.
  • The way it works is simple and those two pictures will be ok to answer the question of copy protection.
  • If like me you are blind and find the characters a bit small then pm me an email so I send you bigger snapshots or email to the guy who did them and send me them (lane123456 at hotmail dot com).
3 - You need the Citadel manual:
  • The game includes a nice contextual in game help but it hasn't all information the guide provides. So it's better to also get the manual.
  • At this time I haven't yet a link where download it but PM me an email so I send you this manual. The guy who send me the bigger snapshot also send me a pdf of this manual.
4 - You need an emulator running a Mac+ and Mac OS 6.0.8:
  • On newer system the game is less stable so it's much better to use a Mac+ Rom and OS 6.0.8
  • Many emulator could apply but one fit quite well and works fine, it's Mini vMac. I'm using the OSX version but the Windows version is well supported and should work fine.
  • There's a great install guide for Mini vMac Windows at: E-Maculation.
  • This guide provides all but a Mac+ Rom, well you can find a link to one at: http://rolli.ch/MacPlus/ (get there only the rom, not the system disk, for them use instead the links provided in the guide quoted above).
  • If you are using a Mac you can follow this PC install guide but for using Disk Images on the Mac check this link: http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/image.html
5 - Now you have Mini vMac and Stuffit Expander installed in it you can use it to expand the Citadel .sit archive:
  • Copy the citadel .sit archive in Mini vMac like the guide explained it to install Stuffit.
  • Copy this archive inside the stuffit folder.
  • Launch Stuffit expander and click the command key (with a windows keyboard it's the alt key and the mac option key is the windows key).
  • Then open the menu File and select open without to release the command key.
  • Release the command key only when the file dialog is open, then see at bottom of this dialog a new botton "select....".
  • So select without to open it the stuffit folder where you put the Citadel .sit archive and click on the bottom button "select...".
  • This will launch an extract of the citadel archive, the files will be in a folder created in the Stuffit folder. Just move it where you want and now Citadel is ready to use.
6 - Backup the file Citadel Save:
  • This file, Citadel Save, is the save file automatically open and modified when the game is launched.
  • So before to start play backup the file "Citadel Save" to keep an initial copy.
  • For managing save files just read the in game help it is very well done.

And now have fun, it's an unknown game but definitely a noteworthy classic even if too few people know this.

Mmm two last quotes:
  • Save often and make backup, the game can be quite tough sometimes.
  • And if you found install all that is a challenge, play the game to see what is really a challenge! :biggrin:

EDIT: I added a description of the game in a post:

EDIT2:
- I modified the post to add the section about the manual.
- I removed the mention that you could not install unstuffit on you PC when following the guide I linked.
- I haven't tried by myself on a PC but on a Mac. On PC you could have hassle to install an application that unstuff .sit file on your PC. You could pm me and email so I send you the base stuff to install all without unstuffit on your PC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom