Comparing online ARPGs - Wolcen, Diablo, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
MassivelyOP compared the major action RPGs currently available meaning Wolcen, Diablo, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile.

Grim Dawn

Grim Dawn is probably the most traditional of the major ARPG titles on the market right now. If you want a spiritual successor to Diablo II, this is probably your best bet. Its most unique feature is the way it allows players to choose two classes and invest equally in both their skill trees.

As I've written before, Grim Dawn is an exercise in the difference between story and lore. Its lore is great. It's built a rich and unique setting by combining elements of fantasy, steampunk, and Gothic horror. However, the best thing that could be said about the storyline is that it does, technically, exist.

It also suffers from very slow and unrewarding character progress past the early levels -- a relic of its old school methodology -- and the requirement that all members of a party own exactly the same expansions and DLC can make playing with friends challenging. It is however free of other micro-transactions, for those who are concerned with such things.

Overall, Grim Dawn is a solid ARPG experience, and traditionalists will love it, but for those looking for something more unique, it doesn't have much to offer beyond a fresh setting.

[...]
More information.

Yes, probably.
I bought wolcen but didnt do the endgame, but i really liked the story and the graphics. I hope they change some head there and fix it properly.

Stopped reading after the author referred to Diablo 3 as a “gold standard” and “best of all time” and then said he couldn’t recommend it because it has been “abandoned” by the developers. I adore the Diablo franchise and any game in that universe is an instant buy for me. But Diablo 3 isn’t the best of the franchise, let alone all ARPGs. Having said that, it’s a great game, is feature complete, and easy to recommend to fans of the ARPG genre. I don’t think it’s fair to say it was abandoned just because Blizzard isn’t making any more DLC and has instead moved on to other projects. After reading that I couldn’t bear to read what he had to say about Wolcen, which doesn’t belong on this list in its current state. Torchlight 2 has more right to be included than Wolcen in my opinion.

Massive Op was in the pocket of another development team and backed them to the end....Shroud of the avatar, I don't take their articles very seriously.

I recently bought both Wolcen and Last Epoch. LE, though in early access, is the far more polished game. Wolcen is glitchy as hell. They spent more on cinematics alone, than Last Epoch costs.

I like the simpler skill tree of Grim Dawn and Last Epoch than the massive mess that is PoE or Wolcen. Also, the naming conventions are super sucky in Wolcen. It's not a "bad" game but there were some really bad decisions made in some areas. Ailments, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom