Losing my dog friday

I think you did a good thing to consider the well being of the dog Dar. and it appears you are a more caring person than your ex about these things.

I am sorry for your loss.

We discussed relationships with pets in a class on morality. There are those who say that the life of a human being is more valuable than that of a pet. Those who do rarely have a pet. A pet may become a family member just like a human being, and a familymember will always be more important than a complete stranger.

For this reason I do not have a pet. I do not want a familymember with shorter lifespan than me.

Get a cockatoe, they live for 80+ years :p I have birds and they are also great fun as pets. However they require a lot of caring and time, maybe even more than a dog… so it is a big commitment.

I think you did a good thing to consider the well being of the dog Dar. and it appears you are a more caring person than your ex about these things.

Thank you :)

My ex is probably more caring in a way, but she apparently just didn't have it in her to be fully responsible in this instance. We had our share of issues and at least half of it is on me, so I don't really blame her.

Get a cockatoe, they live for 80+ years :p I have birds and they are also great fun as pets. However they require a lot of caring and time, maybe even more than a dog… so it is a big commitment.

I don't doubt it, and birds are cute as well :)

I'm not really looking for a pet though, and this was more due to circumstances than an actual desire. I need to be in a different place before I get a pet - and it will be a dog when that time comes.

For now, I have other crap I need to deal with first - but such is life :)

Sorry if my little morality play about my neighbor's dilemma brought you down, D'Artagnan. It was just meant to illustrate how much pain can be caused by ignoring a simple responsibility. I have much sadder ones about losing my own dogs, but we won't go there. :) I understand it's painful, though, from personal experience.

I think one of the most interesting and appealing things about dogs is that they are very childlike in not realizing their own mortality. Dogs will do things that are absolutely astonishingly fearless, and selfless, because they don't count the cost.

AFA relating to insects, although they have a very important role to play in pollinating our food crops and as part of the food chain, it's probably not too healthy to connect with them on an emotional level—you might end up like this guy:
http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idINTRE5870S120090908

I think one of the most interesting and appealing things about dogs is that they are very childlike in not realizing their own mortality. Dogs will do things that are absolutely astonishingly fearless, and selfless, because they don't count the cost.

My grandmother had a fox terrier that decided to catch himself a steam locomotive. That didn't work out too well, so they buried him in the back garden.

By evening, he had dug himself out and was scratching at the back door, asking for dinner. It is unlikely that any Indian cemeteries were involved, because this happened in Lempäälä, Finland. You never know about other varieties of pagan ones, though…

Very weird story about the scorpion guy, btw, especially the Buddhist not-wanting-to-kill-things angle... considering that he's feeding live cicadas to those things. Go figure...

Just read this thread and sorry about your dog DA. I know how hard it is to give them up because they would be better off.

I had to put my schipperke, Bear, to sleep about 10 years ago. I had him since I was a kid. Best dog in the world, small, but absolutely the best. Protected me as well. That little sucker didn't care how big anyone was he would growl at them if he thought I was in danger. Almost bit one of my dad's friends once.

He got too old though and couldn't hardly walk around anymore. He did his best, but the vet said he was in pain and that did it for me. I put him to sleep. One of the most emotional times for me, but it was for the best. He had a good 15 years of life. At least it was very quick. Less than a few seconds and he was gone.

I seriously miss Bear now.

Just read this thread and sorry about your dog DA. I know how hard it is to give them up because they would be better off.

I had to put my schipperke, Bear, to sleep about 10 years ago. I had him since I was a kid. Best dog in the world, small, but absolutely the best. Protected me as well. That little sucker didn't care how big anyone was he would growl at them if he thought I was in danger. Almost bit one of my dad's friends once.

He got too old though and couldn't hardly walk around anymore. He did his best, but the vet said he was in pain and that did it for me. I put him to sleep. One of the most emotional times for me, but it was for the best. He had a good 15 years of life. At least it was very quick. Less than a few seconds and he was gone.

I seriously miss Bear now.

Very sad :(

I know how you feel, though, because I had a childhood dog that we had to put down for much the same reasons when he was 15 years old as well.

They really get to you.

Wow… All these posts about animal loyalty are so touching…

I remember. My dad told me he had a half-bred German Shepherd named Chit. Chit was with him since he was a little puppy and has been with him for nine years. My dad was beside him even at his final moments. He even watched Chit die. My dad said that it was the only time he cried for a pet. :(

Gah - he's gone now….

Cried like a baby, and now I'm off to the summer house of a friend (with a few friends).

It'll be so empty when I come back.

Anyway, this is actually a pretty rough one and thanks for the kind words all, they're much appreciated :)

I like animals very much. And I like people who care about the life of animals.
It must have been hard to take such a decision, DArtagnan. It will be hard for quite a while. Animals - individuals with a unique personality - leave such an empty place in your life when they're gone… I don't think any word of mine will help, for words can not heal the wound - time sometimes does.
I wish you strength, especially during lonely moments.

hi there..

I love dogs a lot..
and it really hurts losing one..

Back
Top Bottom