Divinity: Original Sin II - What's coming next?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Swen talks about the next steps to develop Divinity: Original Sin II:

Hi all!

Thx for all your feedback & for playing! We're taking early access as an opportunity for trying out new things but we obviously also don't want to frustrate you when we err on the wrong side which is why you can expect an update soon that takes care of some of the most pressing issues, specifically the economy, the longevity of certain surfaces and the removal of some cc from the early enemies.

As we're getting closer to finishing the game and more and more game systems start being activated (we still have a lot of work but for the first time we can actually see the light), you can expect a few more drastic changes. Several of these have to do with the overall experience throughout the entire campaign and the removal of Source surfaces in the early game is related to that. Things like source vampirism, source vision and cursing surfaces are gradually introduced over the main campaign and in the first parts, Source is meant to be something that's hard to get.

One other pretty big change will be the introduction of the level 1 content, which comes before the area where you are now starting (which is supposed to be a level 2 area). That's why the encounter frequency in the beginning is what it is. That said, we may change it if we still see it as a problem after we added the level 1 content.

Regarding the starting classes - those too will be changing over the next couple of months as more and more skills (including those of other schools) get completed and talents get finished. Speaking of talents, lone wolf aka one man army will be available at level 1. We just deactivated it for now cause there's some issues with it.

This was also the first deployment of AI 2.0 and over the coming months we'll continue to work on it. We didn't go over all of the encounters yet to ensure they'd take advantage of it so all you've basically seen so far is AI 2.0 using the skills that were assigned to the enemies under AI 1.0 scripting. Once AI 2.0 is more evolved, we'll start modifying the encounters to balance them for fun. That's also when we'll start handicapping/powering it up to work differently at different difficulty levels.

I also would like to repeat that we're aware of many of your requests and that a lot of them are on our lists and being discussed. Since it's a long list however, some things may take time to materialise but I did want to make a point of posting here to thank you and to ensure you that the effort you put in posting here is worth a lot to us. It's making the game a lot better, even if from time to time we may screw up as we try out a couple of things.

Thanks for your patience!

Swen
More information.

Sounds to me that we won't see this game until the middle of the year.

I'm in no hurry, just want them to spend the time they need to make the game they want to make. The first game was a splendid romp in co-op through a very epic-in-scope and fascinating RPG. The first game has also set the bar very high...

I'm still working on the first game…I did back this one too, though. I played maybe 5 minutes of the game in its current beta form. One negative thing that I noticed is the camera isn't as good as in the first game, in that the camera doesn't zoom in as close. Take this with a grain of salt though, that is based on an real early first impressions of an ultra brief play session, like I mentioned. I could be wrong about this bad camera thing - hell, I hope I am, lol.

I hope it will be more serious in tone than the first. That's my only complaint. But is that realistic to assume?

I just started playing the first one and am enjoying it. I'd second the more serious tone request. also put a little less emphasis on elemental damage, give me a button to chain or unchain my party, give me more than 1 female and 1 male head and better portraits.

Other than that so far so good and I'll be buying the second one for sure.

Even middle of the year sounds optimistic to me given what he wrote there.

Maybe middle of the financial year is what was meant? They said in a previous update that they've gt a date in mind but would announce it after they're more certain of their current timescales. I'd say at least 7 months

Did anyone start to receive their backer awards? Just out of curiosity

I think the humor in Larian's games is cool. Not every game needs to be dark and brooding, IMO.

D:OS still has serious moments, though, lots of them. The bosses and some areas are serious, the story overall and the bits at Homestead are taken pretty seriously, etc. I think most of the other silly stuff gives D:OS a storybook fantasy feel as well. I got the same vibes from Divinity II.

Things like turning into a bush to sneak, though, that's not really my thing. It's a bit *too* ridiculous. But overall it's cool to expect the unexpected in their games. :)

I like what I've played so far. The conversing with your party members is not in yet. No dwarf or undead origin and only the first chapter is available. Not to mention game master mode. I will say another 12 months before I expect the game to be getting close to release.

I'm fine with the silliness. Lets me know I'm playing a Larian game. There are plenty of games out there that take themselves far too seriously.

I hope it will be more serious in tone than the first. That's my only complaint. But is that realistic to assume?
It is. In fact a "grounded and serious narrative" has been announced in the KS campaign and from all you can read they realized this.

Please polish the story, please polish the story, please polish the st…

IMO the only negative in OS was the lack of a gripping narrative.
I'm okay with Larian's humor, but next time add some meaning to it (case in point: Beyond Divinity's story was super funny and super excellent)
It does not have to be "dark" and "serious" - but it has to have a well-paced story arc.

I'd like a long video showing stuff that isn't related to combat.

Thanks for the post - I am playing this now and then and like it so far although more interested in the companion interactions myself at this point.

Swen already said somewhere that DivOS II WILL be MORE serious. But some of their humour will always remain there.

D:OS - ITSA TRAP!

D:OS has serious flaws for me, it makes me feel uncomfortable, this is a problem, because I cannot really enjoy it; and I've seen the same is in DOS2.

a) Camera is too close to the ground when at max. distance to ground. I understand this is for display/performance reasons. However it's a claustrophobic feeling for me. I think DOS has the "closest to the ground" camera.
b) I see a full 3D environment but I cannot pan the camera like in other 3D games in order to see the horizon. Freelook. Again, I feel like kind of trapped.

Feeling trapped, it's a psychological thing. Didn't find a workaround yet :D
E.g. seeing the horizon, I wouldn't expect it in a 2D game like Baldurs Gate. But now since DOS is 3D, I expect it.

Back
Top Bottom