Review of Mass Effect: Andromeda

Pretty easy, The Witcher 1, the Witcher 2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, … Yeah TW3 combats aren't great.

TW1 does not belong to the list. The combat system is good. Witcher combat style is known and TW1 does a good job at emulating the core and variants. TW2 tried to do the same but was met by opposing players who did not like the style (they would have preferred the bloke who sustain a lot of damage and keeps axing right, left, center)

Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim are different. While TW series focus on a specific figthing style, they all have to support a wide range of fighting style including support style.

For Skyrim, players also rejected definition. At release, it was not possible to maximize every single skills. Obviously, this destroys any difference in figthing styles since the PC encompasses all of them. The result was induced by players.

TW3 had none of these constraints and yet failed to deliver anything decent, apart from its one button approach.

It's a very original point of view, I read much more often that for combats TW1 < TW2 < TW3.

For TW1 I consider the chain a total boredom crap and styles too much unbalanced to be really significant. Now Im' a player that is used to not do something that bores me, so I played TW1 combats without to use chains but a max of 2 hits chained. For styles I tried bother a bit but didn't insist much and for magic sticked to a few. In that context I found TW1 combats had a good fun, didn't found TW3 & TW2 neither better nor worse.

I still quoted that TW3 combats are better because TW1 combat system has core weaknesses that hasn't TW3, and I consider not exploiting chains and not much styles a bit artificial to build a point of view on TW1 combats. It's a play advice I could give, it doesn't remove TW1 combat system is deeply flawed.

TW2 vanilla combat was best in terms of challenge and balance, in my opinion.

TW1 was ok if you like playing Dragon's Lair - and TW3 was ok if you don't mind having no real challenge.

Lol, Dragon's Lair, try play without using the chains and Im' pretty sure you'll look at it differently.

Lol, Dragon's Lair, try play without using the chains and Im' pretty sure you'll look at it differently.

I played it on max difficulty level. Game was exactly the same. Just timed clicking and nothing more.

One thing I did appreciate, though, was that spells were actually effective on bosses as well as trash mobs. Way too many games tend to nullify the best spells on bosses.

But there's no way anyone can convince me that TW1 had good combat. I consider it a very bad joke.

To each his own, though :)

It's a very original point of view, I read much more often that for combats TW1 < TW2 < TW3.

For TW1 I consider the chain a total boredom crap and styles too much unbalanced to be really significant. Now Im' a player that is used to not do something that bores me, so I played TW1 combats without to use chains but a max of 2 hits chained. For styles I tried bother a bit but didn't insist much and for magic sticked to a few. In that context I found TW1 combats had a good fun, didn't found TW3 & TW2 neither better nor worse.
People usually get bored by things they do not like. The chaining system is a good abstraction of the witcher fighting style.

TW1<TW2<TW3 assessment is not surprising as it reflects the decrease in mechanical demand.
TW3 fights might be solved by mashing a button, TW2 fights less and TW1 even less.

The lower the mechanical requirement, the better

Not that it's the only Bioware's "we can't count" example. For some reason the data cores task says you need to find 9 of those while there are 11 in the game. Sudoku achievement says go nail 20 of them, however there are 22 in the game.

Duh, they didn't miscount. They are only requiring to find 9 of the remnant cores, and solve only 20 of the puzzles. It's not a miscount, they are just saying you don't have to find/do 100% to complete the task. I'm not sure why you are assuming they miscounted.

People usually get bored by things they do not like.
"Interesting" evidence I wonder what pushed you wrote that.
The chaining system is a good abstraction of the witcher fighting style.
Perhaps a good abstraction but what's the link with action fun? I think you never tried group style and abuse of chains, total boredom.

The problem of chains is to be too automatic, the design failure of the chains is to discourage movements that are the mechanism allowing the most of choices and diversity in that sort of combats.

I played it on max difficulty level. Game was exactly the same. Just timed clicking and nothing more.
Did I mentioned anything about difficulty? Nope, I suggested not use the chains, so no chain timed clicking that is totally boring I agree. Without them the combats have another face and aren't worse than those of TW2&3, perhaps even a bit better.

Most issues present in the trial are also present in the actual game, but that doesn't tell the whole story. In terms of overall gameplay, Mass Effect: Andromeda is by far the best in the series, offering greater variety than the others in terms of character progression, crafting, research and loot.
I finished a full play and overall it's an opinion I understand, on many gameplay aspects and not only those you list (but Im' not sure I agree for character building), MEA is clearly overall superior. To those you listed (but character building) I would add exploration and progression tricks, tiny tricks solving and puzzling, collecting and spotting/finding stuff, equipments which includes weapons diversity.

But a gameplay is a whole and the whole is rarely working as well than ME3 or ME2.

A good example is exploration, overall it is hugely superior than all previous ME including ME1, but it's not working that well that often. For example the first two buggy planets (Eos and Voeld):
- Don't have enough good stories,
- they have too few good puzzles and other puzzling aren't much fun quickly,
- the exploration gameplay based on vehicle use generates a gameplay lacking of fluidity making combats areas feeling artificial and not well merged to exploration,
- the game totally failed implement an impressive faun as did DAI,
- those first two planets based on desert design don't feel repetitive but the repetition coming from desert result in an exploration lacking of touristic woo,
- and so on.

And the sum is exploration of Eos and Voeld is pleasant but too rarely very fun. The other planets are working a bit better overall but it's the general idea, the exploration as a whole is pleasant, sometimes great but too rarely.

At reverse a game as ME3 has very rarely a good exploration design, and most often it's not much exploration, but the few it has is working a lot better.

Another key aspect is companions. In MEA most have good to great quests, and most have a good development and I even noticed many had their light touching moments. But overall it's just less strong, less interesting than most companions of ME3 and I don't mention ME2 which is above, but it is focused on companions.

For combats the topic is more complex. I would say ME3 has superior combats, but I agree it's a different design approach. Both ME2 and ME3 have a similar design approach of combats, ME3 just does it better. But both use combats with more design and less purely based on AI and some random. In MEA the AI dynamic plus the high mobility and complexity of terrain structures generate combats varying a lot. But at end they don't benefit of the same diversity of design than there's in ME2&3. I'd say I could have the best combats among some of MEA, and that I never really get bored by MEA combats kowing that I skipped most trash combats. But at end I didn't get the same diversity. I prefer MEA combats style, but I prefer ME2&3 sum of combats.

For me all the games of the series are too different to compare them well. But as a global feeling I have my opinion and I'd say ME3 > ME2 > MEA > ME1. But still, for ME5, I'd wish that it is with a design starting from MEA in hope the whole is improved in comparison with MEA.

The problem of chains is to be too automatic, the design failure of the chains is to discourage movements that are the mechanism allowing the most of choices and diversity in that sort of combats.

How does it discourage movement? The witcher fighting style is based on movement. It would not be a good abstraction if movements were discouraged.

As for fun, emulating the figthing style might be fun.

A chain is more and more damages, moves are automatic, and it's just a clic rhythm and not much like some batman and keep the target. Any move or target change is breaking the chain. Plain bad design, at least it was like that in Vanilla, but I don't remember EE changed this.

Switching targets does not break the chain (as long as the new target is close enough)
Being hit breaks the chain. Movement is meant to keep the PC out of reach.
Jump in, deliver max damage, jump out. Crowd control etc

Great review. Gave me hope that I will enjoy it once it is fully fixed up.

Switching targets does not break the chain (as long as the new target is close enough)
I wrote moving, not switching target, hit chains is the weak point, let say in my point of view. :)

Great review. Gave me hope that I will enjoy it once it is fully fixed up.
I'm playing the full trilogy after a full play of MEA, that's a good refreshing and that's quite an experience. From the light of this refresh, OP point of view is just one among other possible.

There's a big change of sub genre, and it doesn't bring only positive. Myself I regret Bioware give up on more linear and more story guided RPG, for now they are much better to do such game, particularly hub/missions blueprint. But they could have a learning curve to switch to a very different sub genre, so it's not totally bad they try a very different blueprint.

In some ways I prefer #2 best since it is short and concise. #1 was great but the combat took a while to feel ok. I think I was stagnated until I reached chapter 2 and then if flowed.
Witcher #3 is well done but for my taste just too long. I never ends. I'm about 90% done with both the main story and first extension. Then I hear the second extension is another 40 hours.

I wrote moving, not switching target, hit chains is the weak point, let say in my point of view. :)

Any move or target change is breaking the chain.

The answer went in two ways: changing target does not break the chain.
Movement is meant to keep the pc out of reach. Fencing requires foothold.

Ok my bad, still thinking those chains are an awful design making The Witcher 1 combats the worse in the series, at least when not choosing avoid them completely.

In fact Gothic 1&2 suffer a similar problem with fast short swords but it's much better tempered than in The Witcher 1 because of better enemies design.

The big flaw of this rhythm design is it is mechanical because the timing isn't based on enemies but plain repetitive and worse it generates a sort of automatic defense.

The big flaw of this rhythm design is it is mechanical because the timing isn't based on enemies but plain repetitive and worse it generates a sort of automatic defense.
The Witcher's figthing style is repetitve. It is usually the same pattern: move in, strike, move out.

The timing is based on the enemies, they determine when to go in and when to go out.
The timing of a chain must be fixed because players must assess how much time they are given between moving in and moving out. When they recognize a two second window opportunity, they must know they can land that many hits during that time.

The Witcher's figthing style is repetitve. It is usually the same pattern: move in, strike, move out.
Dark Souls sell.

And btw, I didn't fight like that in any of TW games. I'm not playing games like Angry Joe.

Back
Top Bottom