XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen Villains

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer loves the villains of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen.

XCOM 2's Chosen are the best videogame villains since the Nemesis system

If you’d asked any of us if XCOM 2 would be better with mustache-twirling villains when it came out, we’d likely call the strategy game police. As goofy as XCOM’s Advent enemies are—a motley crew of little green men, snake people with boobs, and shape-shifting slime monsters—we’d cry out, ‘Strategy games are driven by cold, hard logic, not emotion!’ And yet, here we are, all angry at our own purple bad guys. Now we can blame our losses on the Chosen, three characters introduced in the recent War of the Chosen expansion that have hijacked XCOM 2 completely. They’re the best thing to happen to the series since its reintroduction, and some of the greatest videogame villains since Shadow of Mordor’s Nemesis system. We had to talk about them.

Tim Clark: I've honestly been blown away by the Chosen. Literally, on many missions, but figuratively by how fun they are to fight. Prior to jumping into the expansion, I had vague concerns that being menaced on already stressful missions by super aliens would be like getting sand in your spacesuit. But although the Chosen are irritants by design, there's such a thrilling build-and-release of tension to beating them that I actually looked forward to the encounters. Like all the best pantomime villains, the Chosen are chatty sallys—yammering on during missions, and even spilling over into the menus, telling you how much you suck and how you're doomed to failure.

[...]
More information.

So… not really. I love many of the new WotC features, but The Chosen are more a pain in the ass than interesting game content. Even though there is a "chance" they show up in regular battles, it's been like 95% in my game and they're fairly easy to kill. In fact, the original 3 alien kings in the now defunct "Alien Hunters" DLC were more threatening.

I also found the 3 Chosen base raids kind of silly. It's basically the same battle, 3 times, since they reuse the maps with minor tweaks. "Shoot at rock, fight 2-3 spawn, shoot at rock, fight 2-3 spawn" isn't fun to me the first time, let alone the 3rd time.

The other content is incredibly entertaining, and in some areas should have gone further. But concentrating on "The Chosen" as their selling point for this expansion was, to me, a mistake.

Lol @article. Paid one if I ever seen one, sales of the expansion must not be as expected.

Chosen are all pathetic characters not fitting a game like Xcom. They are neither interesting and their presence changes the game too much. Their AI is also not good enough.

Back
Top Bottom