What makes an RPG go from good to great? - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What makes an RPG go from good to great?

Default What makes an RPG go from good to great?

July 19th, 2020, 00:09
*dons flame proof hazmat … hopefully no holes*

I love deep interesting companions with relationships and romances! There I said it.

Beyond that what Ripper said.

Plus deep lore, interesting world to explore, non-linear (as much as a story can allow), a freedom to make your own character versus having a very strictly defined one thrust on you - the more choice and freedom the better.

Oh and an animal companion is always a personal plus in my book
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

July 19th, 2020, 12:59
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Lots of them. I don't think even the majority of RPGs have an interesting setting.
Action-RPGs really don't need much of an interesting setting, if the goal is to drive the player with loot as carrot-on-a-stick.

Blizzard was imho very bad at worldbuilding, their world design of their first 2 Action-RPGs (which i had been playing somewhat around 2 decades ago) felt like they could fit on one sheet of paper.

They actually needed novels to expand that, but the world itself - nothing.
Their first Action-RPG is basically nothing but a Roguelike. Once I had discovered that it had oh so many similarities with Nethack (the first Roguelike i ever knew), only much, much darker, like the cover of an heavy metal album, its magic was gone.

The "problem" with LOTR is basically that it is a fully non-action book. It fits so much NOT into the current landscape of action-filled media that I doubt that youngsters will like it. It basically reads like a Reiseroman. Basically the description of a journey - and that by foot ! - Mostly, at least.

I … guess … that a developer must decide for what kind of audience the game is made for. Depth ? Or carrot-on-a-stick aka loot games (after the Blizzard formula) ?

I haven't seen yet a game which manages to combine both.

Besides, as a learning course I advice to at least take a look at the game-satire called "ProgressQuest". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_Quest
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Tags
development, early access, game, rpg, video game
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What makes an RPG go from good to great?