HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted that XCOM 2 has controller support on the PC now:

Controller Support Deployed for XCOM 2 on PC

Hello, Commander.

Starting today, XCOM 2 on PC can now be played using a controller. XCOM 2 has plug & play compatibility with both the Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers. Alternate controller options may require additional user adjustments. Fans have been requesting controller support and we’re glad to deliver.

We have been hard at work tailoring the interface specifically for controllers so that it provides a level of comfort and accessibility that our players expect. The intel below shows exactly how controllers will work both in the strategy layer, as well as on the battlefield.

[...]
More information.

I'm glad to see they're still working on improving the game. Could it be time for a 2nd playthru, maybe? :)

Who the hell wants to play a turn based game with a controller over a mouse and keyboard? The world is turning mad I tell you!

Who the hell wants to play a turn based game with a controller over a mouse and keyboard? The world is turning mad I tell you!

Be careful when calling people mad, the forum police will come and accuse of being negative.

I wouldn't use a controller over a M&K but sometimes I play games on steam link where I don't have a M&K, so controller support is nice.

As I did read somewhere else, PC gaming is, among other things, also having options at your disposal, even if you personally don't use them. Adding controller support to a PC game (any PC game) won't detract from it. :)

Last edited:
I beg to differ Henriquejr. At this very moment, the update conflicts with mods, i.e Long War.

It's not like SRPG don't exist or consoles.

Except that these products have been designed with consoles in mind and associate the controller use with the interface (menus etc)

XCOM 2 kept a part of the original design that was oriented toward use of K&B as the original XCOM was designed for PCs.

That is adding a feature for adding one feature.

Another remark: crowdfunded products might be inspired by japanese products design while not including a support for controllers. Leaving players the tedious task to navigate an interface that is a copy of an interface meant to be used with a controller.

You know what Chien, I actually agree. And yes, options are not bad, I'm just amazed that people want to use controllers, I'm not annoyed.

A PC game got released as PC game with standard PC hardware in mind and gets wheel/touchpad/whatever support later. Hell yes, it's one of ways to persuade people to trash their stupid consoles they used for decades and move to proper gaming, it'll be easier for them to adapt.

A game on PC with mushrooms by default, with broken KB/M support insulting the player? Neptunia and similar garbage? Hopefully it's ignored by wide audience and it's publisher goes bankrupt. PC does not need bullshit and gaming industry does not need (any more) scammers.

Last edited:
Actually, the move shows the opposite.

By itself, Xcom 2 does not call for controller use. Controller use is tedious.

Defending people's opportunity to torture themselves is one thing. Providing them with the means to torture themselves is another.

The move is explained by Microsoft push to turn the PC into the Xbox One backyard.

Now consoles have no K&B. They have controllers. PCs have both.
Players using the cross platform features are going to settle for the controller by default.

Defending people's opportunity to torture themselves is one thing. Providing them with the means to torture themselves is another.
Some people are masochists. If that makes them happy, let them be.

They listed, at the end of the article, the things they fixed:

"See the complete list of PATCH 7 changes below:

• Adds traditional (non-Steam Controller) controller support to the PC
  • Fix config/upk file issues that prevent full conversion mods from being possible on the Steam Workshop and also allow mods to have Bink files.
  • In Alien Hunters, the "Ruler Reaction" notification will stay on the screen after a unit fires at the Archon King while he is using Icarus Drop during combat.
  • SPARKS cannot be healed by Medikits
  • Additional minor bug fixes"

I do nearly all my gaming from the couch these days and controller support is desired. I find a controller much more comfortable and enjoy it more when done properly.

Back
Top Bottom