Pillars of Eternity II - Multiclassing

Despite 295 hours into the game, you sound like you failed at experimenting with builds in POE. If you can't feel the difference between a support Priest and a damage Priest, well…

In fact, I wonder how you can tolerate DOS going by how it is very similarly to POE with its status effect giving malus to stats and elemental/damage type resistances…and being class-less, well everything is really the same.

Maybe you are right. Maybe there is something that makes the game more fun and I missed it. But I find it hard to believe. Maybe it just a matter of different likings.

About DOS, I don't think it's a perfect game, far from it. It was an ok/good game, as was PoE. But the effects of spells on DOS, how they interact with the environment and other spells, that was some outstanding feature of the game. Additionally, even if DOS was class-less, you could feel the difference when you increase or decrease a status, you can perceive as you play. I cannot say the same for PoE 1.

The problem of building options of PoE1 was that I didn't matter what class or abilities you chose it always felt that it didn't make any difference in your character. It felt that all classes were the same thing. I think that was the lack of options that so many complained. The abilities system and classes were poorly designed mainly because they thought they could create a new version of D&D with everything balanced - like it would be that easy.

My main concern is that Obsidian won't fix this flawed system in PoE2. They seem to be concerned with other stuff, like the number of classes. Or maybe they just don't want to change it. Which is odd because I remember Sawyer saying that they have made mistakes with PoE's system. So, why they seem to be insisting on it? And that would be a shame because the first game had so many good qualities.

That really isn't true...play Cypher with low int/high might and reverse and you'll see a big difference, especially later on.
What it needed is a better structure when it comes to talents and abilities, related to stats. Seems new UI is geared in that direction.

It was not like in D&D where when a character is frightened you see him fleeing, or like in DOS when you cast fire spells you burn stuff. The effect of magic and powers were all the same, you could get some penalties in a defense status, or maybe an attack penalty, or you can get slower, and so on. But all of these effects were just some numbers in a very confusing system. And those numbers were basically the same for every build. But the worst thing is that you cannot perceive any difference. And for me, when you can't perceive the difference between your actions in the game, this game is not rewarding anymore and the combat becomes dull. And that was the case of PoE IMHO.

There is a certain truth to this. POE does not animate its states (much). They are expressed in little icons and numbers. The fact that a character is hobbled and your rogue can now do extra damage to him is displayed in icons and numbers, and not in animations. This is something I could look past. There is a strategic system built into the game, but it is not as visible as in Baldur's Gate.

Back
Top Bottom