Dragon Quest XI - Dragon Quest And The West

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gameinformer talk about Dragon Quests history in the west and how Square Enix is trying to help it take off here.

It’s entirely possible that Dragon Quest faces the same fate it always has in North America, continuing to foster a niche but dedicated fanbase but never making a splash with the larger audience. However, this time things could change with various aforementioned factors changing the playing field. Speaking with the development team in the ramp up to XI’s launch has shown me a positive and hopeful attitude about the series’ future in the West. The developers honestly look at this as a new beginning for the franchise – a chance to appeal to a new, modern audience alongside its diehard fans.

The last few years have been spent slowly reintroducing the Dragon Quest brand to Western gamers, with Square Enix publishing mobile ports of earlier entries and spin-off games such as Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Builders. It helps that Nintendo has continued to bring over the remakes, such as the much desired VII and VIII for the 3DS.

[...]
More information.

It doesn't help that they're not consistent on their platforms. I played and loved DQ8 in my PS2 but the following games were exclusive to handhelds (which I don't care for), so I can only play DQ again after 13 years in my PS4.

Unlike you I loathe both handhelds and consoles so whatever other Dragon Quest games exist, they can rot for all I care.

Square Enix doesn't have to think much - they had a perfect opportunity to conquer west and PC with The Last Remnant. They failed. Why?

1. The game has an unique combat system which is unbelievably fun when facing different trashmob groups. What's not fun was facing endless amount of same trashmob groups. Whoever thought trashmob respawns and grinding is fun is still working at Square Enix instead of being sacked ages ago.

2. The game was openworld. With stupid checkpoints and checkpointscum possibility.

3. The story started let's say okay (although I pointed at an early plothole), evolved in a not bad direction then in the second half of the game became completely irrelevant while all you did in that second part was grinding through respawns. Apparently due to funds being cut in favor of some Final Fantasy sequel. The end was good, but reaching it was a horror.

The Witcher 3 world was extremely windy and affected the hair. TLR world was extremely grindy and affected your nerves.

The moment Square Enix moves away from juvenile stories, grind and watered down content "traits", they'll win over the west. Jumping on DLC:The Game wagon they did with DX:MD and RotTR doesn't help.

TW3 has not a juvenile story. Next iteration.

Sorry, I went to write comparisions then removed them as it's silly to compare the best game ever with a fart.
Dunno how that windy/grindy sentence remained in the post but as it's reffered on, too late to edit it out. So, please just ignore it.

When I'm traveling, which isn't very often, I'm quite fond of both my PSP and my Switch. I'll heartily admit though, that when I'm home, both of those hand-helds are pretty much just gathering dust in a corner. When I do have access to my computer, I use it exclusively.

Sorry, I went to write comparisions then removed them as it's silly to compare the best game ever with a fart.

Too early to state that this product is the best ever.

Back
Top Bottom