Solasta - January Patch

1st edition in the Gold Box style games is great. Dual-classing, multi-classing, all awesome stuff. 2nd edition and 3rd are great too. I prefer 3rd over 3.5, but that's just me. Haven't played 4th I don't think (SCL was 5th, right?) and 5th seems cool so far. It's all good to me, if it's D&D. :)

I think the later editions are easier to learn and understand than the earlier stuff. 2nd Edition was great once you got used to it, but there are things that make litte sense and are more complicated than they need to be. i.e. THACO, dual classing vs multi classing, etc.

Why elves and dwarfs could only reach lvl 7-9 when they lived hundreds of years longer than humans. Take a look at the original ranged weapon attack chart in the DM's guide. I don't understand it to this day. Maybe it was in the Players Handbook but that chart was nutty.

I'm not a fan of prestige classes and all the gobbledygook added in some of the later editions. I think I prefer the streamlined editions that don't take 40 hours of study to build the best character. Not sure about 5e specifically, but I prefer diner coffee (say Farmer's Brothers) to Starbucks and the $15 Latte. 10-15 classes sure! 10-15 main classes with 140 different build paths, yuk!

I will sum up the difference between AD&D and 5e. In AD&D the dungeon master shapes your character with the magic items they give you. In 5e the character is shaped by the player with the sub classes you choose. In my opinion, this is why AD&D breaks down at higher lvls because it's dependent on the skill of the DM. Was he Monty Hall or Scrooge McDuck? I'm not a fan of someone else shaping my character at higher lvls. This is the reason my group switched to 5e.

Well, I rarely was in a party that reached level 7 or 8 in the 8 years I played pen and paper versions. You're bound to fail a saving throw and die and I only played one campaign at a time normally. Ours was a Tolkien based world after the destruction of the rings and the exodus of the Fellowship. Our group was part of the Striders, which was a new force of orc slayers started up by Aragorn and Faramir? Hmmm, can't remember. One of the captains of Gondor. I typically made it level 3 or 4 and our DM was the science teacher at school, so there were sneaky biology and chemistry lessons in our sessions :)

How many hours does it take to complete the current content of Solasta? Has anyone finished what is available?

Last edited:
It took me 10 hours when the game first was released into EA. I think one content patch has been released since then.

Thanks, I'll definitely wait then. Once it hits 50-60 hours, if it does, then I'll pick it up. Sounds like they're in no hurry to finish it, so I'll let that money earn interest. LOL!

I really like low magic age....but keep waiting for them to finish no point in investing any more time.

There are way to many finished games I haven't beaten or played to waste too much on unfinished games....I think I am staying away from those for awhile as I have at least 20 in my steam library that one day might be finished....solasta I will check out when done.

This one will be one to look forward to later this year, or perhaps early next. I've still a few holiday gifts to sustain me for now, so no need to rush into this one. I'll let the baking and polish finish first.

Back
Top Bottom