Top 10 Console RPG's of all time

Eek...haven't completed too many console ones. If I had to pick, I guess it would be Dragon Warrior. It and Final Fantasy VII are the only console RPGS I have ever completed.

Interesting list, if only for the fact that he didn't put FF7 on the #1 spot (or at all, it's only mentionned as an honorable mention). Console gamers tend to idolize that game, so it's refreshing to see a different opinion for a change.

Of the lot mentionned, I especially enjoyed the 2 FFs, DW3, Vagrant Story, Lunar and, most of all, Valkyrie Profile. That last one is fantastic, and one of my favorite games ever. It got a unique story (you play as a valkyrie collecting and training dead warriors' souls for Ragnarok), original battle system (and it's actually turn-based), interesting dungeons to explore (except the real last one, which is a long straight line of the same 2 screens one after the one), and very good 2D artwork. The only real flaw is that the true ending is virtually impossible to obtain on your own, you really need to know what to do precisely in order to get it.

I also remember Crystallis. Great NES ARPG ;).

Kotor and Morrowind

I was going to say Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel as a joke, but I didnt want to get auto-banned ='.'=

The PSP port is quite good as well!

Wasn't the PSP version little more than a port of the PSX version, with 3D CGI replacing the original anime cinematics? Not that this is a bad thing, at least it made the game available (and affordable) again.

Wasn't the PSP version little more than a port of the PSX version, with 3D CGI replacing the original anime cinematics? Not that this is a bad thing, at least it made the game available (and affordable) again.
Yeah, here is my review. A year+ ago it was the best PSP RPG available ... not anymore.

I was rumaging around in an old box of PS1 games and found my copy of Wild Arms, I also found a copy of Wild Arms 2 which I forgot I even had, I never did finish that one. Gonna try to find the time to replay WA on the side, whenever I'm taking a break from my current main game.

So many games, so little time. :-/

Wow! I just looked up the original PS1 version of Valkyrie Profile on Ebay out of curiosity, that game is going for $100+ for a used copy!!

Tales of Symphonia! Tales of Symphonia for the GC!!

Oh, and then there's... uh... was... this obscure game called "The 7th saga"
for the snes which was strange and extremely hard but very very fun.

Skies of Arcadia Legends!

Tales of Symphonia! Tales of Symphonia for the GC!!

Skies of Arcadia Legends!

An old roomate of mine was really into Gamecube RPG's, and had both Tales of Symphonia, and Skies of Arcadia. I thought ToS had great graphics, but the battles looked somewhat confusing to me.

I didn't care for SoA at all though, random battles every 10-15 seconds, and the magic spells always seemed to do the exact same amount of damage regardless of the enemy.

My favorites in order of release:

- Phantasy Star (Sega Master System, my first console RPG...so long ago)
- Phantasy Star IV (Sega Genesis, should be remade for the DS, would rock!)
- Final Fantasy II (IV) (SNES/GBA, anxiously waiting for DS remake)
- Chrono Trigger (SNES, great story, fun combat)
- Lunar (first one, PS1 port deluxe box set :), had a loveable cast!)
- Final Fantasy IX (PS1, my favorite of the PS FF games)
- Skies Of Arcadia (DC. Like Lunar, fell in love with the cast. But combat was dull/easy)
- Tales Of Symphonia (GC. One of the best RPGs of recent times, on the RPG-starved GC no less!)
- Final Fantasy V (GBA, great combat/class system)
- Final Fantasy XII (PS2, amazing tech - largest play areas EVER seen in an RPG and fantastic art design/graphics - terrific writing/voice acting helped too!)

That being said I think my favorite of ALL time would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 but it IS a tactical RPG which to me is such a different beast from standard console RPGs. This game had it all: beautiful music, great graphics, interesting and mature plot, great characters, and challenging gameplay. Pity the GBA sequel sucked big time and had none of the above except for the pretty graphics.

Games that almost made the list:
- Suikoden (PS1, will have to replay this someday to see how it holds up today)
- Chrono Cross (PS1, really did suck as a Chrono Trigger sequel which is why many hated it. But on it's own it was a wonderful game).
- Vandal Hearts (PS1, another memorable tactical RPG - too bad I lost my disc!)
- Phantasy Star II (Sega Genesis. If not for the mind-boggling amount of random encounters (every 2 steps?) and lack of map for those torturous mazes this would have made my list. Would make an awesome remake with the above fixes.

Great list Relayer, I've played most of those games as well. It's good to see the Phantasy Star series get some love, I really wish PS1 would get remade and rereleased.

Just bought a copy of Tales Of Symphonia off Ebay, I'm convinced I need to try this game for myself.

Great list Relayer, I've played most of those games as well. It's good to see the Phantasy Star series get some love, I really wish PS1 would get remade and rereleased.

Just bought a copy of Tales Of Symphonia off Ebay, I'm convinced I need to try this game for myself.

I don't understand why Sega hasn't made a new Phantasy Star game, it certainly has it's fair share of fans. The series always stood out from nearly every other console RPG. It definitely had more originality.

And PS4's very unique pop up "comic book panel" look was awesome at the time - this was when most games were still just using scripted scenes using in-game engines, certainly way before FMV.

As for Tales Of Symphonia - if you're not bothered by "mediocre" voice acting then you'll most likely enjoy it. That was the only gripe I had with it but really it didn't bother me that much, it was also part of it's charm.

The story is good, combat is a lot of fun and challenging (no random monsters, thank the gods), levelling/skill system is great, it's just an all around good RPG. And not that it doesn't get a bit melancholy or dark at times but generally it has a fun lighthearted tone. Oh, and it's a pretty long game.

That being said I think my favorite of ALL time would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 but it IS a tactical RPG which to me is such a different beast from standard console RPGs.

Sadly the PSP port isn't that great ... as I allude to here.

I don't understand why Sega hasn't made a new Phantasy Star game, it certainly has it's fair share of fans. The series always stood out from nearly every other console RPG. It definitely had more originality.

They actually did remake the PS games(at least the first 2) on the Playstation 2 with updated graphics.- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Generation_1
Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will ever be an English version for any of those games.

*Edit* Feast your eyes on this! Phantasy Star Generation 1

As for Tales Of Symphonia - if you're not bothered by "mediocre" voice acting then you'll most likely enjoy it. That was the only gripe I had with it but really it didn't bother me that much, it was also part of it's charm.

The story is good, combat is a lot of fun and challenging (no random monsters, thank the gods), levelling/skill system is great, it's just an all around good RPG. And not that it doesn't get a bit melancholy or dark at times but generally it has a fun lighthearted tone. Oh, and it's a pretty long game.

Even though I've never actually played it myself, I thought the game looked really good. This is based off simply watching someone else play the game and seeing video footage on Youtube. I became more interested in Tos when I recently read that they are making ToS 2 for the Nintendo Wii.

Are any of the "Tales" games connected in any way?

Of interest - KotOR is represented … but by The Sith Lords rather than the original. Um … why?!?!
I only played KotOR 2 with the fan patch, but I found it to be a lot more interesting than the first one. More flawed, but the strong points were stronger.

Anyway, I can't load the page, but my personal favourite console exclusive CRPG is Shadowrun for the SNES (and not the Mega Drive version, which I did not really enjoy). While Shadowrun was not the first WRPG that I played, it was the one that finally sold me on the genre due to how good it was.

I still have original copies of both of the first 2 games you mention, never played Illusion of Time/Gaia though.

If you want to play Illusion of Time/Gaia, I would recommend actually playing Soul Blazer first. While not directly linked, the games have some common themes and there are some nods back to Soul Blazer in Illusion of X. Terranigma is the final game in the set, and I did not find it to be quite as good as the previous two (most people disagree with me on this one, at least most that I've talked to).

An old roomate of mine was really into Gamecube RPG's, and had both Tales of Symphonia, and Skies of Arcadia. I thought ToS had great graphics, but the battles looked somewhat confusing to me.

The battles looked a lot more confusing than they actually were. They also had multiplayer support, but due to player 1 having camera control, it's not as fun for player 2. The story really drags on though, and Tales of Symphony would have been a lot better if it was shorter.

Suikoden was a fantastic experience. I remember playing it as a kid and fighting those duels for the first time, or the large-scale battles. I'd never seen elements like those in an RPG before, so it was very fresh and exciting. Oh, and recruiting 108 NPCs as a kid made me dizzy with joy :). I actually recruited all 108 of them as a kid without a guide, if I recall. Even leveled them all to high level, which took a LOT of time. *That* was dedication :)

My favorites in order of release:

- Phantasy Star (Sega Master System, my first console RPG…so long ago)
- Phantasy Star IV (Sega Genesis, should be remade for the DS, would rock!)
- Final Fantasy II (IV) (SNES/GBA, anxiously waiting for DS remake)
- Chrono Trigger (SNES, great story, fun combat)
- Lunar (first one, PS1 port deluxe box set :), had a loveable cast!)
- Final Fantasy IX (PS1, my favorite of the PS FF games)
- Skies Of Arcadia (DC. Like Lunar, fell in love with the cast. But combat was dull/easy)
- Tales Of Symphonia (GC. One of the best RPGs of recent times, on the RPG-starved GC no less!)
- Final Fantasy V (GBA, great combat/class system)
- Final Fantasy XII (PS2, amazing tech - largest play areas EVER seen in an RPG and fantastic art design/graphics - terrific writing/voice acting helped too!)

That being said I think my favorite of ALL time would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 but it IS a tactical RPG which to me is such a different beast from standard console RPGs. This game had it all: beautiful music, great graphics, interesting and mature plot, great characters, and challenging gameplay. Pity the GBA sequel sucked big time and had none of the above except for the pretty graphics.

Games that almost made the list:
- Suikoden (PS1, will have to replay this someday to see how it holds up today)
- Chrono Cross (PS1, really did suck as a Chrono Trigger sequel which is why many hated it. But on it's own it was a wonderful game).
- Vandal Hearts (PS1, another memorable tactical RPG - too bad I lost my disc!)
- Phantasy Star II (Sega Genesis. If not for the mind-boggling amount of random encounters (every 2 steps?) and lack of map for those torturous mazes this would have made my list. Would make an awesome remake with the above fixes.

Phantasy Star was my first console rpg also,had a blast playing it.In fact still have that game and the Sega Master system packed away in the attic somewhere,wonder if it still works?

Back
Top Bottom