What's up with Tyranny's loading screens?

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
Is it me or Obs pulled the record here? Even small rooms take minutes a time.
Any fixes for this, outside of buying SSD?
This keeps up, my arms will fall off from doing pull ups. :whew:

Whatever I got bored with stalker so I finally bought Tyranny.

SSD is the only solution, but some guy says perhaps deleting hundreds of savegames could help:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/362960/discussions/0/133256689835556007/

Maybe this helps too:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/362960/discussions/0/208684375426373634/

Finally this is also an option to try:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TyrannyGam...ound_for_long_loading_times_and_freezes_when/

Next month Bobo, say no to stuff like Binary Domain or Vanquish but buy a nice and shiny SSD instead. Since I bought one, cannot imagine playing games on HDD any more.

btw, after elementary school, noone needs excercise. Ditch vehicles and unnecessary driving instead.

Last edited:
poe also suffered very long loading times. One of my big hates of htat game - esp after wasteland 2 and divinity had very little loading time.

Yeah could be same problem as PoE. The more saves you have, longer the loading time.

That's weird. Why is the game even looking at the files in your save game directory!?

I didn't have very many saves in my PoE save game folder (less than 10 including the three autosaves and the two default quicksaves) but loading times were still pretty long, the further I got into the game.

I never whipped out a timer but towards the end I once counted slowly to about 20 so it took probably between 20s and 30s which adds up with the many area transitions that are required to get certain places (like Caed Nua interior or a certain inn where you want to get certain rest bonuses).

All of this on a pretty decent Samsung SSD 840EVO (1TB). It's the game (engine), not the hardware.

The good news is that this is supposed to become a thing of the past with Deadfire as Obsidian are planning on implementing a streaming technology to minimize loading screens.

Yes, I had the same problem too.

Game also had trouble with areas like Defiance Bay. Typical Obsidian technical prowess -considering it was mostly static 2D images and a handful of 3D characters.

You would think they could at least get visuals that unsophisticated to run smoothly, but no.

That they opted for the Unity engine probably didn't help matters.

To me an SSD is not an option anymore. Even with an SSD, some large zones in Tyranny still took like 30+ seconds to load, so I can only imagine how it'd be in an old hard drive.

That they opted for the Unity engine probably didn't help matters.
This.
Unity sounds a perfect engine when someone is planning a multiplatform product, but limits of inferior platforms that engine covers seem to choke the PC code. In other words, I bet the game saving/loading code in Unity is not optimized at all so we suffer from code based on phone/console limitations.

Another reminder, it's not only Unity that prolongs loading times based on existing savegames, the same thing plagues Sims 3 and it's not an Unity game. In Sims 3 the savegame gets bloated over time by keeping all sorts of irrelevant data, the solution is 3rd party saves cleaner tool, but that thing cannot help with Unity based products.

Mine weren't bad but I have a nice SSD that seems to help. My issue was trying to find where the heck the saves were. For me it was:

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\Tyranny

Took a little hunting to find them.

Yeah, that's something that has gotten really bad over the years: where are the save game files THIS time? Microsoft "improved" the location so many times that nobody knows where to put them.

I'm not sure this is a unity issue per sey. Wastland did not have these annoying long loads and there are other unity games without very reasonable load times. I think it has more to do with something specific to tryanny and poe (which likely share technology).
-
Btw if the issue were unity then the cpu would spin; but i'm pretty sure this is I/O delay which is beyond the control of unity; rather it has to do with how obsidian laid things out on disk.

This.
Unity sounds a perfect engine when someone is planning a multiplatform product, but limits of inferior platforms that engine covers seem to choke the PC code. In other words, I bet the game saving/loading code in Unity is not optimized at all so we suffer from code based on phone/console limitations.

Another reminder, it's not only Unity that prolongs loading times based on existing savegames, the same thing plagues Sims 3 and it's not an Unity game. In Sims 3 the savegame gets bloated over time by keeping all sorts of irrelevant data, the solution is 3rd party saves cleaner tool, but that thing cannot help with Unity based products.

I had no issues with load times on either (less than 10 seconds) and I am on a mechanical HD (WD blue). I doubt it is just HD related.

In semi-related news, it looks like they will be unveiling new DLC on June 13th.

Back
Top Bottom