|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale IV - Released

Default Bard's Tale IV - Released

September 18th, 2018, 23:08
Someone with a very high end video card said the performance is "acceptable". One person responded to his post, saying he is a troll though.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/56609…4390485042074/
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

September 18th, 2018, 23:46
Finally got the key (support reacted after I wrote an e-mail).
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
+1:

September 18th, 2018, 23:54
Gee, the fact that you might need a higher end computer to run this bloody game doesn't sit well with me at all. Ahhh well, I'll just have to hope that by the time I get around to playing it, some of the bugs and performance issues will have been addressed.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 00:34
Performance is fine with a 1070 and 1440p. Since that is what I have i can't comment on how well it runs if you turn graphics down and use a 1060.

Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Someone with a very high end video card said the performance is "acceptable". One person responded to his post, saying he is a troll though.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/56609…4390485042074/

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 00:53
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Finally got the key (support reacted after I wrote an e-mail).
Was it a polite email, or did you go full-Joxer?
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 01:02
LOL it was business, not pleasure. Quoting:

Subject: No key received
Body:
Just saying.
My inbox is empty.

JoxerTM
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 01:15
Okay, I'm not intending to play this quite yet, but I thought I'd give it a quick spin to check the performance.
Fairly ordinary PC: i5-4570, 12GB RAM, 1050 GTX, 1680x1050 (max for my old monitor, better monitor reserved for work PC )

At Ultra everything and Temporal AA (which were the defaults it started with):
22-28 FPS. Noticeable movement blurs when it hiccups occasionally

At High everything and FXAA (what it gave me when I hit the auto-detect button, aside from me manually changing the AA):
28-35 FPS. Graphics look decidedly dated, with blurred crappy textures.
If this is "high", I don't want to see anything lower. (Well, okay, I will for science's sake…)
I don't have an amazing machine, but I can run some pretty recent games at pretty enough settings, so this is a surprise.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 01:24
Okay, the muddy textures are obviously a bug.
There is no difference in texture quality between Low, Medium, and High for me. Basically anything below Ultra sets it to Low textures. *sigh*
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

September 19th, 2018, 01:51
Reviews are up to 46% on steam. 3.5 on GOG.

So far I haven't read any negative reviews that don't either complain about optimization or not being faithful to the originals, but many point out that the character building is very shallow which is something that I've been saying for awhile.

Copper Coin

Outspoken D&D critic

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 02:11
Trying to buy it but once again my debit card is giving me issues. Will check it out tomorrow, hopefully when the 1080ti arrives at the same time to give it the full treatment.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 02:32
Could definitely have used some more time.

-The grid movement option is still greyed out
-the short animation sequence of the main menu is still looped in a way, that the whole screen turns back for a half second between each repetition
-Language setting in the game is not saved, have to set it back to english from german every time
-it still keeps starting in my wrong screen (my vertical second screen) where I need to move it from
-translation of new stuff (since beta) and references to skill into German is not finished
-after two hours I got a blue screen. My guess: my gtx 1070 which I set to 40% fan speed max, overheated.
-you actually need to use a digital code wheel to use some extra riddles and in order to use that thing you need to print it, and cut it out with a knife? seriously?
I put it together in gimp now and it should work that way. Still a pita.

Everything about the gameplay itself is actually fine so far…but it should have received more polishing….
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Bard's Tale 4
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 02:33
I found that reducing shadows and AA, while keeping everything else to Ultra, gave me the best FPS balance. Often in the 40s, which is good enough for me (esp. given that combat is TB). Once you get into the dungeon parts things improve in looks as well. The beginning area doesn't give the best first impression. One thing I definitely don't like: the savepoint system.
Anyway, despite this I'm now looking forward to getting into it properly, once I finish Starcrawlers.
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

September 19th, 2018, 03:08
I tried that StarCrawlers game to see what i thought about this genre in this day and age, i guess this is somewhat similar, combat/movement. I felt really disconnected to the world i must say, like some big vehicle that can't get up-close and personal with anything. Just an overall really cheap feeling, that it was something belonging in the past.

Total skip for me (which is good, too many games to buy and play )
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 03:34
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
I tried that StarCrawlers game to see what i thought about this genre in this day and age, i guess this is somewhat similar, combat/movement. I felt really disconnected to the world i must say, like some big vehicle that can't get up-close and personal with anything. Just an overall really cheap feeling, that it was something belonging in the past.
Well, there's probably a higher chance you'll like Bard's Tale IV. Full freedom movement (like Wizardry 8) and the TB combat looks snazzier. But yeah, if blobbers ain't your thing then fair enough.
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

September 19th, 2018, 03:42
StarCrawlers has "full" movement too, but it's still not moving like a character in TES or something, its more like controlling a vehicle. I doubt you'll be able to stray of a specific path and just climb up a mountain or dive into a lake, or jump up on a rock to see what's in the distance etc.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

September 19th, 2018, 04:23
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
StarCrawlers has "full" movement too
No, it has grid-locked, step-wise, TB movement. You take single steps in a grid. The creatures outside of combat take their step-wise move after you've taken a step. Physical traps/barriers are the exception in that they stay in real-time and require timing, but even then you have to move in a step-wise fashion.

BT IV is like Wizardry 8 in that you have full freedom of movement outside of combat, not locked to a grid.

It does have free mouse-look, if that's what you're referring to.
But yes, you can't stray off the path, as you describe.
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

September 19th, 2018, 04:38
Downloading now, not sure I will get much time with it this week … hopeful for a quick patch cycle
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 07:04
So, the usual inXile release: poor optimization at launch, lots of bugs, unpolished. Why does that sound so familiar?!
So, most likely we will see a tons of patches for at least two years. Guess that is when i am going to buy it.

wolfsrain

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 07:51
I consider myself an Inxile fanboy since I've really enjoyed all their recent offerings, but to have such poor optimisation at launch does sound worrysome. I hope they get their shit together fast so they don't experience another burn like with T:ToN, it's doubtful if the company will survive that?

I was considering playing this straight away and putting PoE2 on hold for a while, but I guess I'll wait a bit…

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 19th, 2018, 07:55
Yeah, I'm going to wait for a patch or two.

While I didn't play very long, I wandered around town a good bit. I like all the music around town. The game looked great to me, and I had no problems when actually in the game. Strangely, I saw all the problems whenever I was in a menu of some sort. I was on a GTX 1080 and playing on Ultra in 4k, and then I turned a couple other things up. Basically, I cranked it.

I saw some slow-loading textures, but that was during character creation. I saw Kordanor's badly edited video loop somewhere around the main menu. I tried to make a Trow caster, but the different portraits wouldn't load for that combination. By the way, why do all the dwarves look like Pinhead? I then took a peek at the rest of character creation, and that's where I got frustrated and quit.

Now, I'm not normally a blobber guy, but it seems to me character creation is -- or should be -- rather important to the genre. I recall that being the case with Wizardry 8. Character development looked weak as hell. It looked slightly worse than Skyrim.

As I quit, I was having real trouble imagining creating a character there that I could give a frog's fat arse about. Walking around town was nice, though. Maybe atmosphere will carry me through, but it sure would help if I didn't have to play some dev's on-rails "archetype."

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale IV - Released