Fallout 4 - Review @ Windows Central

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Jez Cordon (Windows Central) has reviewed Fallout 4:

Review: Fallout 4, post-hype post-apocalypse

To preface, it's worth mentioning that Fallout 3 is probably my favourite game on the Xbox 360. I knew that the mere mention of Fallout at Bethesda's E3 presentation would steal the show, and like millions of other gamers, I spent the last few months beside myself with anticipation for Fallout 4.

Set in a post-apocalyptic Boston wasteland, Fallout 4 is an FPS/RPG hybrid with a ridiculous amount of customization, gameplay options, quests and open-world scale. 2015 has been an incredible year for blockbuster titles, from Battlefront to The Witcher 3 and Halo 5 - Fallout 4 seemed poised to overshadow them all, but does it deserve to?

As a huge fan of Fallout, and Bethesda's particular brand of open-world RPG, I find myself with mixed feelings about Fallout 4.

[…]

Conclusion

Fallout 4 is already a runaway success story, shipping millions of copies. Despite my disappointments with the capacity for roleplaying, I adore Fallout 4 and eagerly anticipate the DLC, season pass in hand.

Fallout 4 represents incredible value for money, granting the player tons of things to do across potentially hundreds of hours of play. The shooting mechanics have become refined, taking a place among this generation's FPS-first heavy hitters. The crafting systems are laudable, and the base building system is utterly addictive.

Pros:
  • Vastly improved combat mechanics
  • Well over a hundred hours of gameplay
  • Settlement construction is a welcome addition
Cons:
  • Shallow dialogue choices
  • Engine quirks from Skyrim and Fallout 3 haven't been addressed
  • This game will take over your life
Fallout 4 is a story of trade-offs. Bethesda trade cutting-edge visuals for interactive density, they trade roleplaying freedom for a story that's a little more focussed and cinematic, and they ditch some of the franchise's intricacies to broaden its appeal. Fallout 4 is an incredible open-world shooter, but I'm concerned that the series is beginning to stray from its roleplaying roots.

With that in mind, I'm off to start my third character.
More information.

A good balanced review - very close to my own opinion.

This game will take over your life
Since when this belong to "minus" part? :D

Fallout 4 is a story of trade-offs. Bethesda trade cutting-edge visuals for interactive density, they trade roleplaying freedom for a story that's a little more focussed and cinematic, and they ditch some of the franchise's intricacies to broaden its appeal. Fallout 4 is an incredible open-world shooter, but I'm concerned that the series is beginning to stray from its roleplaying roots.

Overall I agree with the review except I thought graphics (but not the textures) were pretty good overall but I know I probably in the minority. I liked the lighting, the cool weather, and the overall look and feel.

I think they are straying from their roots, just like Skyrim did, and each new game it has been dumbed down for the consoles and masses yet again. I still enjoy them though and have a lot of fun with them. Consoles are not going anywhere nor are the masses so it is what it is.

I really liked the story a lot but would have preferred not being married with a kid at the opening. I was okay with the dialogue but was still hoping for deeper companions.

More choices would also have been better. What he said about the voiced protagonist, the options with the dialogue wheel, and such I also agree with.

Thought it was a pretty well balanced review but maybe that was just because it reflected my own thoughts. Plenty of room for improvement but still a very fun game.

It seems rather much of the same. Hopefully more of the meatier quests won't be so shallow.

Really? I found a lot of the quests even off the beaten trail to be quite deep for a simple side quest...many recordings to be found throughout which further the quest a long and give a pretty good idea what was going on before the bomb.

Also, there are a lot of small neat locations that don't even show up on the map at all, like old battle fields and just quirky stuff like a train where a mom and son hide in...small details like that make it interesting to me.

A little off topic, but I may be in the minority but I find it pretty cool to walk a long the raised highway...and just wander. I have something like 65 hours in and I am just getting to diamond city.

I have 150 hours and still not made it to Diamond City. I have to look at everything, but most of everything is the same... It's alright, just not particularly exciting.

Back
Top Bottom