What games are you playing now?

Stayed up late for the Anthem early access - and then it turns out that Origin had a "display error" and that it won't go live until tomorrow…..

Not a happy Darth.

Probably not the same game, the Empire of which I speak I got off steam. It is quite similar to some of the early Final Fantasy games, it might be from the rpg maker system. I wound up not getting to play much today, so I've not yet completed it, perhaps tomorrow.

Ok, played the Anthem tutorial.

Honestly, that was the slickest, smoothest and coolest introductionary gameplay sequence I've had in years.

It controls like sex and it looks like sex. I kid you not.

Yeah, yeah, it's early days.

But if the rest of the game is like this, it's a 10/10 or something close to that.

Probably isn't - but that was EXTREMELY well done.

As for the story itself, it's actually interesting - but nothing groundbreaking or anything.

Oh well, back to Anthem.

Ok, played the Anthem tutorial.

Honestly, that was the slickest, smoothest and coolest introductionary gameplay sequence I've had in years.

It controls like sex and it looks like sex. I kid you not.
I assume you're talking about "good" sex?

Of course it's frontloaded trying to get people to rush out and post 10/10 reviews on metacritic with 30 minutes played.

It's early days yet, though.
Yeah, yeah, it's early days.

But if the rest of the game is like this, it's a 10/10 or something close to that.

Probably isn't - but that was EXTREMELY well done.

As for the story itself, it's actually interesting - but nothing groundbreaking or anything.

Oh well, back to Anthem.

Well, people have said the beta or demo or whatever they called it DOES run on win7, but that might have been an accident before they block it somehow for live. I need to hear it confirmed before I buy in.

Watching a Twitch streamer right now and while it does look very pretty it seems fairly empty. His gun fires with a slow pap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap which isn't very exciting, but the melee animations are nice. Graphics again. If you imagine the graphics are bad then it's not looking all that great, so far. Movement is important and he seems to move well. Not quite as well as Warframe but you can fly which is a bonus. He has died a few times. You die pretty easy? I dunno, it sort of looks like all graphics, at this point.

It’s all graphics ;) The rest is just me lying, as I’m a shill from EA. I wouldn’t actually know if it’s any good, since I don’t play many games.

You have been warned!

That said, it’s a looter shooter. It’s not magically going to appeal to non-fans of the genre.

Also, remember that the Interceptor is the only correct choice!

PS, if you’re still on Win7 you’re clearly not interested in gaming, so that’s another reason to stay away from this graphics demo ;)

Now this belongs in the BS thread. Lots of people game in win7; I myself did upgrade to win10 but kind of regret it. Lets face it what ms is doing with win10 is pure BS and suggesting that gamers belong on win10 is worse than BS it is out right criminal (but not in the legal sense).

PS, if you’re still on Win7 you’re clearly not interested in gaming, so that’s another reason to stay away from this graphics demo ;)

I’m a shill AND a criminal ;)

Anyway, have fun with your archaic OS.... I have loot to shoot for!

I can't believe there's only FOUR warframes to pick from!

I mean, with all the power of Windows 10 running DirectX 11 API I would have thought they could support at least 5 or 6 different Warframes.

With mere Windows 7 running DirectX 11 API I suppose 4 would be understandable.

Loving the graphics, though.

ANTHEM MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-6350
RAM: 8 GB System Memory
GPU RAM: 2 GB Video Memory
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760, AMD Radeon 7970 / R9280X
HDD: 50GB Available Hard Drive Space
API: DirectX 11

ANTHEM RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz
RAM: 12 GB System Memory
GPU RAM: 4 GB Video Memory
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060, AMD RX 480
HDD: 50GB Available Hard Drive Space
API: DirectX 11

(For those who don't get the joke - Win7 is DirectX11, Win10 is DirectX12. IT'S A WIN7 TECHNOLOGY GAME.)

Wow…. the Interceptor is absurdly responsive. It's hard to believe this is going on in a looter shooter - but I've finally found an online game that responds to my every single key press with no input delay.

They made that class for me :)

Oh, and yeah - I definitely miss Warframe, where I had the privilege of grinding for the only class I wanted for 50 hours until I was sick of the game - and then realising the content Ivara was designed for, what was I just exhausted my own interest in.

I mean, that's brillant game design right there. Make the player grind dozens of hours of nearly identical spy missions - hoping for those random drops - so they can finally get access to the class that's actually best suited for spy missions. I mean, why grant access to that before the player is sick to death of what it was designed for.

They nailed that one!

Also, it was so delightful repeating the same 5 minute missions of procedurally generated nothingness so I could get to wait 1-3 days to craft something of use, if it finally dropped. Such a generous paradigm.

In that way, Anthem is terrible. I mean you get actually get to feel progression after every single mission.

That's just not punishing enough for me - and I can't express how much I miss the endless grind!

Anyway, sorry - I know this game isn't for Win7 veterans. Why not just stick with DOS, though? We all know that Microsoft never made any actual advances since then - and 99.9% is just spyware and money scams. Games that don't run on DOS are obviously in on the scheme!

I'll get back to my legally criminal modern day OS ways :)

Have fun!

(PS - I'm mostly kidding, so calm down)

As for Anthem, I've seen more of the story and it's pretty weak so far. Some of the NPCs are sort of fun - and they're well animated and such.

That said, if anyone is hoping for a "true" Bioware story here, I don't see it happening. I've already encountered one of the main villains - and I don't think he could have been anymore cliché if he tried.

But it's not terrible or anything. It's very fitting for this kind of genre.

It reminds me of Destiny in terms of being grandiose and mainstream - and just engaging enough to keep you interested in the main campaign.

Here's hoping it gets better.

Still, the genre was never about a great story.

The moment-to-moment gameplay is way, way beyond what I would have expected from such a mainstream game, though. It's by far the tightest and most precise experience in the genre.

The four classes have very distinct identities - and I think it's the only game of its kind where you can actually feel the class you're playing.

Warframe had excellent movement, true - but Anthem takes it several steps further, especially for the Interceptor. These Javelins are doing exactly what you want them to at all times - and you're not waiting around for internal cooldowns - and powers are constantly available.

This makes for incredibly satisfying combat where you're always in motion and you're always actively engaged.

They must have spent ages perfecting the gameplay.

I think I saw that villain before? Your guy shoots at him and his shield deflects it and he says something like "well, that was awkward"?

I think I saw that villain before? Your guy shoots at him and his shield deflects it and he says something like "well, that was awkward"?

Something like that, yeah.

Was hoping for a little more meat or heart in the story - but you can't have it all.

Still, it's very early and things can happen. I like the main Cipher guy (the Jarvis of your Iron Man) - he's got a nice sense of humor.

So, it's not all bad - but I just wanted people to know that it's probably not worth it for the story alone.

This morning I finished up the game I've been playing for about two weeks, Empire, and when I was wondering what I'd fire up next, I saw an advertisement on steam for Enderal when I launched the program. I've two mates that simply rave about this version of Skyrim, so I'm downloading it now to give it a thorough testing for myself later today.

BTW, if anyone is curious about Anthem - you get a 10 hour trial by subscribing to Origin Access Basic. It's pretty cheap - and you gain access to a pretty big library of other games as well.

Back
Top Bottom