Vigilantes - Version 18

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Version 18 of the tactical RPG Vigilantes has been released - here's the Kickstarter update:

Update 28: Version 18 Released!

Hello,

Hope you're having a nice weekend! Version 18 of Vigilantes is now available for download. Version 18 represents one big, final push to deliver a number of features we felt would substantially benefit Vigilantes.

The emphasis has been on features which enhance the game's tactical depth. Now you can set ambushes with overwatch, delay your turn to outmaneuver opponents, and punish enemies attempting to disengage with attacks of opportunity. Furthermore, characters can now sustain injuries, which reduce stats, and can be healed by time, by Doc, or D.I.Y. healthcare.

An ally relationship system has been added, which provides stat bonuses to allies who approve of your actions, along with a reputation system, which, depending on how much chaos you cause, will determine how some NPCs react to you, and the ultimate outcome of your crusade against crime in Reiker City. Finally, we've added hand drawn portraits for most of Vigilantes' characters, 2 new maps, and fixed a number of bugs.

It's been a busy, intense 3 weeks and 6 days. If you'd like to get more detail on the additions and improvements, you can find out more in the below development video:

Version 18 is the final version in which features will be the key focus. That's not to say we absolutely won't add any more features, but rather, that in order to deliver the best experience possible, we need to shift the focus to balancing, tweaking existing features, adding content (weapons, perks, characters and maps), improving the level of polish and fixing bugs.

As always, if you'd like to chat about any aspect of Vigilantes, I'd be happy to.

All the best,

Daithi

More information.

I feel like hit reactions should be more pronounced from things like bullets with maybe the enemy swearing as he/she is hit.

I feel like hit reactions should be more pronounced from things like bullets with maybe the enemy swearing as he/she is hit.

I agree. The feel of the game is something we'll be able to hone in on more, now that we're pretty much done with features. There are some restraints with the animations, but we'll definitely be adding more, and more specific barks to show reactions to various situations. Do you think making blood more visible for bullets would help with this too?

I agree. The feel of the game is something we'll be able to hone in on more, now that we're pretty much done with features. There are some restraints with the animations, but we'll definitely be adding more, and more specific barks to show reactions to various situations. Do you think making blood more visible for bullets would help with this too?

IMO, sometimes showing a lot of blood after a hit can be overkill. I think just showing more reaction to the attack is sufficient. I like the look and sound of this game. I think it has a lot of potential.

IMO, sometimes showing a lot of blood after a hit can be overkill. I think just showing more reaction to the attack is sufficient. I like the look and sound of this game. I think it has a lot of potential.

I'd have a similar take on level of violence. After a point, for me anyway, it's no longer effective for establishing a tone or mood, but rather undermines the credibility of the game/book/movie.

I wouldn't be looking at having huge explosions of blood, but perhaps the blood in Vigilantes disappears too quickly to register, and was thinking of leaving it visible for a few more frames for bullet attacks. Glad you see promise in Vigilantes, appreciate the vote of confidence : )

I'd have a similar take on level of violence. After a point, for me anyway, it's no longer effective for establishing a tone or mood, but rather undermines the credibility of the game/book/movie.

I wouldn't be looking at having huge explosions of blood, but perhaps the blood in Vigilantes disappears too quickly to register, and was thinking of leaving it visible for a few more frames for bullet attacks. Glad you see promise in Vigilantes, appreciate the vote of confidence : )

Showing a small spray of blood and a body snap motion dependant on the trajectory of the bullets would be sufficient I think. If its not too much to ask that is. The blood should indicate an exit wound if you know what I mean.

Showing a small spray of blood and a body snap motion dependant on the trajectory of the bullets would be sufficient I think. If its not too much to ask that is. The blood should indicate an exit wound if you know what I mean.

It's mostly there, as characters will rotate to face ranged attacks. I've been meaning to look at showing the blood at the exit, rather than the entry point (how it currently works), so thanks for the reminder! I don't think this will be a big job, it just requires defining a few more points at which blood can be instantiated.

The majority of the time on updates has been on adding bigger features, to give Vigilantes a comparable feature set and level of depth to the classic TB RPGs which inspired it. It's nice to be able to start working on many smaller things, which taken together, should enhance the feel of the game considerably.

I agree that the level of blood, etc. can be overkill. Also, I'm the opposite on swearing.

There's too much gratuitousness in this dark and gritty era of mega games. It puts me off and I end up just turning it off and never playing again. That's what I did after renting that Deus Ex Humanity game.

It looks like an interesting game, TS. With these public betas, does this mean you are planning to release soon or do you just prefer this method of development?

I agree that the level of blood, etc. can be overkill. Also, I'm the opposite on swearing.

There's too much gratuitousness in this dark and gritty era of mega games. It puts me off and I end up just turning it off and never playing again. That's what I did after renting that Deus Ex Humanity game.

It looks like an interesting game, TS. With these public betas, does this mean you are planning to release soon or do you just prefer this method of development?

I'd have a similar attitude for swearing as violence - to avoid the gratuitous (though everyone will have different opinions on where the line is). If it's what the character would say in the situation, it can work. If every fifth word is swearing, in the hopes of making it seem edgy, it's undermining.

Thanks, Vigilantes has pretty much been the focus of my life since late 2014! We've released public versions since early 2016 - it's great to get useful feedback to hone the game. We aren't too far from Steam early access and working hard to get as much done as possible. At the same time, we want to hold off until it's ready, as releasing too early won't result in a good experience for anyone. An exact date is tricky, as it's difficult to say when it will provide a good experience to the vast majority of players. At a guess though, maybe 2-3 months until EA.

Back
Top Bottom