Vikings - Wolves of Midgard - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Worthplaying has reviewed the Hack'n'Slash RPG Vikings - Wolves of Midgard:

PC Review - 'Vikings: Wolves of Midgard'

Norse mythology has been a favorite topic of video games for quite some time now. Even without the recent Marvel movies, the games have gotten many players familiar with the ideas of Valhalla and Ragnarok as well as some of the major characters, like Odin and frost giants. Vikings: Wolves of Midgard is the latest game to take on the Norse theme, placing it in the framework of an isometric action RPG. It isn't perfect, but it's a solid game.

The plot concerns the constant battle between the Norse gods that leaves Asgard rather unstable. Sensing an opportunity, the Jotan awaken the frost giants and coax them into a war with the gods that will likely bring about Ragnarok. Caught in the middle of this is the new chieftain of the Ulfung tribe, who earned the position after an invasion left the previous chieftain dead. Ordained by prophecy, the new chieftain seeks revenge against the Jotan to hopefully stop Ragnarok from occurring.

[...]

In the end, Vikings: Wolves of Midgard is good. It retains most of what makes the genre so appealing, and the other changes, like environmental dangers, amplify the formula instead of watering it down. It doesn't move the genre forward, though, and the lack of a custom preset combined with spotty performance on middle-of-the-road hardware will make some people see this as rather unpolished. For those who want something new in the genre, Vikings is worth a shot.

Score: 7.5/10
More information.

Sorry, "environmental hazards" are not enough to make me want to play this. Also, what a shitty review.

I've started playing this. It's not bad, will get some fun out of it.

But the environmental hazards are a bad idea. Just forces you to do more running back and forth in places (and else has little impact).
Another bad idea are the "challenges". E.g., "collect x of object y" or "kill x of monster a". They are not interesting, let alone challenging. If at some point you notice that you missed some monster (e.g., because it only pops up if you visit a certain spot on the map), you may have to go back all the way to find it. Very annoying. Better to skip those. Sucks if you have a tendency to obsessive compulsive behavior. But well… that's not the first game to do this. Still bad.

To elaborate on the good points:
I like the fighting mechanics and the setting.

I've started playing this. It's not bad, will get some fun out of it.

But the environmental hazards are a bad idea. Just forces you to do more running back and forth in places (and else has little impact).
Another bad idea are the "challenges". E.g., "collect x of object y" or "kill x of monster a". They are not interesting, let alone challenging. If at some point you notice that you missed some monster (e.g., because it only pops up if you visit a certain spot on the map), you may have to go back all the way to find it. Very annoying. Better to skip those. Sucks if you have a tendency to obsessive compulsive behavior. But well… that's not the first game to do this. Still bad.

To elaborate on the good points:
I like the fighting mechanics and the setting.

Thanks, Cacheperl. I think I'll avoid it for now, but maybe if they keep updating it I'll buy it later.

Generic junk. Big company game designers appear to follow a JunkFoodThinking school, inside the box, aren't allowed to innovate. They work at the "Forced To Create Crap For the Rest of Your Life"-assembly line. Well apparent at AAA studios the "awesome" 3D graphics holding their thinking hostage.

It is more a studio that runs after money than a big studio.
It's been a while their products follow the same pattern, as if they havea structural deficit and must release in order to keep going.

Watched it streamed: VWM is extremelly dull, the level design is poor, boss battles is poor etc

Same pattern as the previous products: they do not care about gameplay. They release.

Well, after putting some time into it, here's a bug report.
- Interaction with the trader is infeasible if you are using mouse + keyboard instead of a controller.
- Similarly, can't buy runes if you are using mouse + keyboard.
- "Ghost items" that do not show up fill your inventory.
- Some optional hunting quest can not be completed.

Sooo.... the ghost items bug is really a showstopper.

Back
Top Bottom