Preoder open for HL2 'Orange Box'

for me farcry was about a good 80 minutes. after which i had to check the box to make sure i had the right game. i can't recall if its the first time i had the gaming experience of "are you serious" but it certainly is the most memorable case of it. at least i only wasted 8 dollars on it.

The only Farcry I know of is this game, and there's no way you went through it in 80 minutes unless you're talking about the demo. There were individual missions in that game that took 30-40 minutes to go through, and there are 20 missions in the game.

I think he meant he played 80 minutes until he quit the game out of boredom/frustration/whatever. Happened to me, too. I quit when the inside levels started with the mutant monkeys.
The game just never really managed to grab my attention. I really like tropical island settings such as in Far Cry for going on vacation but not for gaming. Overall, it's one of the most overrated games IMHO. It had absolutely nothing special except for pretty graphics. I'm also glad that I paid less than EUR 20.00 for it.

@JDR13
Moriendor sums its up pretty well. the graphics didn't even impress me all that much though. i much preferred just cause as to me it allowed me to have a vacation in the game, from boating to parasailing, and great helicopter rides through the clouds. that game actually looked good. sure its hardly a shooter and the combat may have been "fun" rather than realistic, but at least it had me coming back. boiling point also failed to grab me, but i'll probably give that one another go someday as i never even got out of the town even after a handful of hours.

Oops my bad, I thought he was saying that he actually went through the entire game in 80 minutes.

I didn't think Farcry was that bad, but then again I played it when it was first released and it had some pretty amazing graphics for the time.

The A.I. of the human enemies wasn't bad, unfortunately the creatures were pretty stupid.

Last edited:
At the time, Far Cry had great graphics, and up until the end battles the best AI of any game and some pretty darn good shooter mechanics.

Count me in, I'm another one who stopped playing FarCry after reaching the first indoors level. But it's a general problem with me and can hardly be attributed to the game itself - newer PC games rarely grip me at all, and the only ones I tend to finish are sequels of games I really enjoyed back in the days, as painful as playing through them actually may be.

I might get the Orange Box if it's the only way to get hold of TF2, but I won't buy it immediately.

you stopped playing far cry?! :eek:

you don't know what you missed. I don't still get it whats the problem with mutants? Its not like that game was deadly serious from the begining or didn't hint the existence of weird activity on the island...Besides after the mutant lab level things got a lot better. Some of the best levels were only about to come!

But the ending section I found not so good - the enemies were non-AI bullet-sponges that lumbered after you like every bad FPS monster in history. Prior to that ... classic shooter!

Nothing is wrong with mutants. My attention span is outrageously short these days.

While I instantly bought every single game I thought I might like a few years ago, I tend to wait until even my possibly absolute favorites end in the bargain bin nowadays. Did I buy the latest C&C game even though I loved the demo? No, even though I'm an absolute C&C nut. I'll get it some day. Perhaps. But it's a game which needs a lot of care and attention, so I will more probably buy Viva Pinata instead once an XBox 360 falls from the delivery truck.

All my friends loved FarCry, so it should be good, but it just didn't keep my interest over the first two levels.

Far Cry had some very challenging levels as well. Remember the one where they threw you out of a helicopter, stripped of all your weapons, right into a mutant infested area?

I think I reloaded at least 20 times on that mission.

sounds like a reality game show...or a movie with ice-t in it.

Back
Top Bottom