Shieldwall Chronicles: Swords of the North - First Impressions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Watcher Darkheart checked out the tactical RPG Shieldwall Chronicles: Swords of the North:

Shieldwall Chronicles: Swords of the North

I have been playing the game for 9 h now and it is similar to the Demon's Rise games but more polished. The story is conveyed via short story pieces before and after a fight. The game consists of different battlefields, so this is more a tactical combat game than a true RPG. Nonetheless it is great fun!

[...]

I recommend this game to everybody who likes tactical turn-based and at this pricepoint you cannot go wrong!
I would like to see a real RPG with this combat system one day, but can understand that that is a huge undertaking for a very small team. One can dream, though!

More information.

Sounds like a decent amount of fun. I believe I'll pick this up during the winter sale.

Sounds like the Blackguard series then. Well that could be fun, depending on how they implement it.

Sorry if the write-up is a bit sloppy. I was in a hurry and English is not my first language.

Thanks for making my first impressions a news post! I think this game is good fun for lovers of tactical turn-based and it deserves more attention.

I've only played the first couple of battles, but I agree with Darkheart's impression. It's a nice pickup at that price. It's not incredibly complex, but I was surprised by the level of polish for being a budget game.

Well in the second fight i moved next to the skull and the game bugged out and I had to force quit. I still don't think (so far) it is that great but if i can get past the game killing bug i might do a couple of more fight (basically i moved my warrior next to the skull and the game got into a loop during the move and the move animation could never complete; which is really odd for a turn base game of this nature)
--
If it helps the bug is trivial to reproduce. Very annoying that you can't use cover in this game.

Thanks for this! Definitely looks like my bag.

Well in the second fight i moved next to the skull and the game bugged out and I had to force quit. I still don't think (so far) it is that great but if i can get past the game killing bug i might do a couple of more fight (basically i moved my warrior next to the skull and the game got into a loop during the move and the move animation could never complete; which is really odd for a turn base game of this nature)
--
If it helps the bug is trivial to reproduce. Very annoying that you can't use cover in this game.

Hi, thanks for reporting. I checked out the issue and believe it's fixed now. It was just due to the odd shape of this particular skull statue, which is only used on this one level. The fix will be in the next patch, which will likely land tomorrow.

1.2 patch should be up in about half an hour. Fixed the navigation bug with the statue and several others. Also some balance changes and added 3 new cinematic scenes with dialogue to make the story a bit more engrossing and interesting.

Back
Top Bottom