Kingdom Come - Preview @ E3

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
New Game Network checked out Kingdome Come Deliverance at the E3:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Preview - E3 2017

The open world western RPG formula is one that may be on the cusp of growing a bit stale, on account of the heavy amount of titles populating this realm of late. There has been a number of games that seem to be trying to out “Game of Thrones” each other with elaborate magic systems and fantastical, epic environments. But what about a game that completely wipes out the fantasy and stands on the strength and epic nature of authentic medieval history alone?

Warhorse Studios has set out to do just that with its new RPG, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The extremely short version of the game’s summary might be “Skyrim without the magic and dragons,” but the subtle carvings of complexities within seem to stretch well beyond this simplified description. The game takes place in Medieval Bohemia (modern day Czech Republic). You aren’t a flame-wielding superhero in Middle-earth here, or even an important figure in some crazy alternate history timeline. You’re just an average shmo and blacksmith’s son, trying to survive the gritty everyday life of medieval Eastern Europe - and avenge the death of your family at the hand of a foreign king. The game takes place during the conflict between Bohemia and Hungary in the era of the Holy Roman Empire, 1403. History buffs such as myself are sure to take notice at the historical influence, but that’s not to say fantasy RPG traditionalists wouldn’t find plenty to enjoy as well. After all, the truth is often stranger (and often more entertaining) than fiction, is it not?

It was clear during the E3 2017 presentation I attended that the developers have poured a lot of effort into the gameplay. But perhaps more notably, they’ve conveyed a passion for history, and a desire to provide a rich, authentic scene by gathering countless details about late medieval Europe through intricate means. We’re not just talking looking at Google pics and glossing over old history books here - historians have actually been called upon to assist in creating an accurate backstory involving a German-backed Hungarian rule over Bohemia. Medieval engineers have been consulted to provide blueprints and rundowns for the modelers and artists to design castles, homes, and other structures of the time period more accurately. Works of art from the era have been studied and emulated for the art style of the game’s map system. Real historical figures have been included; and wardrobes, dialects, mannerisms, and daily routines of NPCs are all meant to reflect society at the time as well. Essentially, this seems to be shaping up to be a “medieval adventure simulation” more so than a straight RPG.

[...]
More information.

Cover on the box is a picture of me when I found out it won't even show up until February.

Let's see, 1403... that's the early Europa Universalis era, right? ;)

Everything about this sounds great. I hope they pull it off .

this game starts like gothic.
you are a nobody and doing nothing important.
lets hope it wont get too epic while progress.
but the screenshots speak another language.
all i see are full scale epic battles.

Not a fan of the huge battle type games along the lines of Mount & Blade. I prefer the single-player, third person kind of experience. I've kept an eye on this game for some time and it looks appealing over all. If I could avoid the 'army vs. army' aspects, then I'm in.

But the game is supposed to be singleplayer.
And unlike mount&blade is supposed to have a story. Maybe a cringeworthy story, but at least some story.

But the game is supposed to be singleplayer.
And unlike mount&blade is supposed to have a story. Maybe a cringeworthy story, but at least some story.

Right, I understand that. But I've also seen clips that show some major battle scenes. If these were cut scenes and not a major feature, then good. I recall in Gothic 3 there were major battles when you took over a city from the Orcs, but it wasn't a large portion of the overall game play.
I 'spose I could put up with a couple free-for-all fights. I'll wait and see how it develops.

IIrc there will be only one large scale battle in this first part.

European games are still a bit janky-er than the rest, but they have a knack for authenticity.
This game will kick Skyrim's ass all the way to Bohemia. :p

Is this first person only? If so skyrim already has it beat.:D

Not a fan of first person melee combat.

I hear you. My games of choice are single-player, third-person real-time combat; no pause, no turn-based.

This isn't even a title contender, let alone going to kick the ass of the undisputed heavyweight champ of the world. :p

Quoted: Rpg gamer extraordinaire. :p

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conference.gif

I will have a hard time ignoring the painfully bad writing in this one - but I'll give it a shot.

It's quite baffling that they went with first person melee combat in real time. Archery sure, but melee? No thanks. I'll probably still play it but I can't imagine enjoying the combat much. I hope they prove me wrong.

If they can pull it off, it would be a lot more immersive to lock it down to FP.

That said, I've never played a game where FP melee combat was particularly good.

In my case it depends how it's done.
If it's wrench against extremely moveable trashmobs like in Prey, I'll be the first one to spit on it. Just like I did with Prey some praised here probably because of it's melee system.
Hopefully it'll be made in Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic style, a yawn game I know, but IMO superb 1st person melee.

but the screenshots speak another language.
all i see are full scale epic battles.
The product was streamed. Streams have this it is harder to dress a product than it is for edited videos.
Full scale epic battles are a good way to move the focus off lesser fights, it is harder to see what combat is about with so many elements involved.

The product was streamed. The stream revealed a lot.

The stream revealed a lot.
Yea… Redtube also reveals a lot, so much one might think it's the same as playing the actual game. One. Not me.

To the large difference people are going to play the same product. Somebody watching a streamer playing this product will play the same product if he decides to play it. No escape.

Very different from the redtube example

Back
Top Bottom