I need a laptop, but not for gaming.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Any advice on buying a laptop for business? I'm somewhat out of touch with laptops because I do all my gaming on a desktop, and I've never needed a laptop for work purposes before.

I want something that's fairly light but without sacrificing screen size. It needs to be fast, but the GPU won't be a big factor because it's going to be 100% for business only. I expect to be storing a lot of high-definition photos and some videos as well.

Any things to specifically look for or to avoid in general?

I think in USA you can grab some dirt cheap Lenovo business laptops.
I use their now old T400 model at my work, integrated GPU, it's fast and reliable, no problems in 5 years, even it's battery didn't fart yet and I've been carrying it around (especially on business trips) frequently.

For screen size, forgeddit on the laptop itself.
Buy an external monitor, external M+K and docking for laptop to use when you're at your workplace and not elsewhere (lollygagging ;)).

Meh, everyone does it, always buy without OS preinstalled, but separately and install your own vanilla OS.

Peh.
You should start panicking over rumors that China plans to start producing weapons for USA market. Billions of $ worth business. Billions.
Since everyone in USA needs a piece. Even before being born.

I wish I could offer more, but my experience is with desktop replacement workstation behemoths (i.e. a different class of machines than what you are looking for).

What advice you want exactly?
IIRC you can get great prices on newegg which is USA only and middle finger to the rest of the world site. :D

If you ask for AMD or Intel, get Intel based laptop - less heat, less power, (at least theoretically) longer worktime when on battery.

I want something that's fairly light but without sacrificing screen size.

You'd need to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "not sacrificing screen size". Are we talking 15," 17" ?

You'd need to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "not sacrificing screen size". Are we talking 15," 17" ?

Good question. I really don't know yet tbh. I'm going to stop by a store shortly so I can see the difference.

@souha13 - Thanks for that link.

Ok, I'd say 15.6 would definitely be the minimum as far as screen size.

Are touch screens worth the extra money?

Should I avoid AMD cpus or are they actually decent unlike their desktop counterparts?

Ok, I'd say 15.6 would definitely be the minimum as far as screen size.

Are touch screens worth the extra money?

Should I avoid AMD cpus or are they actually decent unlike their desktop counterparts?

How soon do you need the laptop, I thought AMD was releasing their new laptop processor soon?

17" is what I would go for, but if you don't mind a bit heavier laptop. I know I will take backlash. But I have zero problems with the Alienware I use for work and play, though MSI are very nice as well.

I am not sure you will find what you want for pictures and videos much cheaper then buying something built better. I have dropped this one when I have fallen asleep in a hotel room doing paper work, etc..

I'd like to get one within the next 3-4 days if possible. I definitely won't be getting something like Alienware as that's not in the budget right now. :)

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I have much need for a $1400 gaming laptop. :D

I was sort of playing, though if you do know anyone that lives in Canada it would be a great savings on a system that fits your needs.

We as a family were going to go to FL at the end of March for 10 days but with the exchange rate so bad for us I changed it to go to a ski resort in Quebec.

Back
Top Bottom